Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

Just now, Fightforever said:

It's been common knowledge that the contracts were dodgy for months now.

But we've only just had the first confirmation that they broke the law in doing so, previously it was just talk.

47 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Lets hope there is change then in the next round of polls although to be honest I am not very confident.

46 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Me neither. People don't care if what they do.

The last poll saw Kieth's mob gain a point on the Tories so maybe the tide is turning.

But we're so far from a GE that polls aren't hugely relevant right now.

For fear of this ending up being a hill I unwittingly die upon, I’m not willing to convict Mr. Hancock just yet.

In particular, I have questions I’d like the answer to:

1. Were these contracts awarded to his friends over other reasonable options? Did other reasonable tenders lose out because of this, or was it a case of trying to get as many PPE/vials from wherever he could and, e.g., his friend told him he could adjust a manufacturing process to make them?

2. Did his friend(s) deliver on said contract(s)? If not, did they still receive some sort of payment for them?

3. If the above two are fine, did his friend(s) get “overpaid”?

4. Did Hancock personally get anything tangible in return?

I agree it should all be reviewed and investigated, but I haven’t seen anything so far that says his actions were unreasonable, considering the government were, at the time, trying to get hold of all the equipment they could for both PPE and testing in a time of national emergency and didn’t want to advertise to every shyster in the world that they were desperate.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Dunge said:

For fear of this ending up being a hill I unwittingly die upon, I’m not willing to convict Mr. Hancock just yet.

In particular, I have questions I’d like the answer to:

1. Were these contracts awarded to his friends over other reasonable options? Did other reasonable tenders lose out because of this, or was it a case of trying to get as many PPE/vials from wherever he could and, e.g., his friend told him he could adjust a manufacturing process to make them?

2. Did his friend(s) deliver on said contract(s)? If not, did they still receive some sort of payment for them?

3. If the above two are fine, did his friend(s) get “overpaid”?

4. Did Hancock personally get anything tangible in return?

I agree it should all be reviewed and investigated, but I haven’t seen anything so far that says his actions were unreasonable, considering the government were, at the time, trying to get hold of all the equipment they could for both PPE and testing in a time of national emergency and didn’t want to advertise to every shyster in the world that they were desperate.

I think this is fair.

It’s disappointing that the tender/mates debate has become party political - one of the benefactors is a Labour peer for example.

The public should be keen to know how their money has been spent - there’s no doubting, we are going to be paying for the spending related to COVID and therefore it’s pivotal that it’s investigated whether a) better value could have gained competitively b) achieved at the same pace.

It’s worth noting that at least one of the contracts failed - they bought PPE equipment what was considered not good enough and spent extraordinary amounts of public money for something which spent months lying in a warehouse in Daventry. 

Alongside this there is still the government’s use of consultants which has largely dogged the Track and Trace effort. When they finally trusted the folk with the expertise on the ground, the NHS trusts and GPs have excelled themselves on the vaccination programme 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You won't enjoy this latest one then...

What did I say? Simple fact is if it means having less migrants people will sell their soul to the tories. I don't know how they can possibly damage their image any futher people will vote for them no matter what. 

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 1

I think one, of many, issues that will prevent a Labour majority is that there is nothing to split the Tory vote. Some more left learning Tory voters, or environmentally conscious etc, may vote LibDem but that's about it. Particularly since the implosion of UKIP and the the Brexit Retirement Fund Party become redundant. Labour however have to contend with LibDem, Green, SNP, Plaid Cymru etc. 

It also doesn't help that it's been somewhat lose lose for any opposition during a global pandemic. If they back the Government then they look spineless and if they go against then they could be seen to be disruptive and uncooperative. If we fall into a third summer of love, I'm taking the second as the 90s, post lockdown then the Tories will still be riding that wave into the next election. If Brexit continues to stall and the economy and jobs have a slower than expected turnaround time then it may be a different story. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fightforever said:

What did I say? Simple fact is if it means having less migrants people will sell their soul to the tories. I don't know how they can possibly damage their image any futher people will vote for them no matter what. 

They will vote for them when the alternative is not credible, Labour are still building that credibility after recently being found to be institutionally anti-Semitic. I don’t see you or any left leaning poster showing any shame in voting for that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Strokes said:

They will vote for them when the alternative is not credible, Labour are still building that credibility after recently being found to be institutionally anti-Semitic. I don’t see you or any left leaning poster showing any shame in voting for that.

Do you feel any shame for voting for the Tories after the Islamophobia scandal then? I doubt it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Christ we've been over this.

Did Corbyn make such direct racists comments as 'Watermelon smiles', 'letterboxes' or any homophobic comments about 'bumboys'? No. Tories who keep going on about the anti-semetic thing are complete and utter hypocrites. Their ACTUAL leader, the ACTUAL PRIME MINISTER has been proven to be outwardly racists...but, but, but...

There were clearly some issues with antisemitism in the Labour party, but meanwhile

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Probably best not to make this particular point when we're under the leadership of the biggest walking dog whistle of a politician I can personally remember.   I see labour making efforts to address it, I don't see the Tories addressing their racism problem.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Probably best not to make this particular point when we're under the leadership of the biggest walking dog whistle of a politician I can personally remember.   I see labour making efforts to address it, I don't see the Tories addressing their racism problem.

I don’t disagree but I’ve said that I’m personally impressed with Starmer and would consider voting Labour at present. 

52 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Christ we've been over this.

Did Corbyn make such direct racists comments as 'Watermelon smiles', 'letterboxes' or any homophobic comments about 'bumboys'? No. Tories who keep going on about the anti-semetic thing are complete and utter hypocrites. Their ACTUAL leader, the ACTUAL PRIME MINISTER has been proven to be outwardly racists...but, but, but...

There were clearly some issues with antisemitism in the Labour party, but meanwhile

Oh so long as it’s not direct racism and is only on mainly white folk it’s fine then.
Also I thought you guys didn’t like whataboutery.......

1 hour ago, Fightforever said:

Do you feel any shame for voting for the Tories after the Islamophobia scandal then? I doubt it.

I’m not the one complaining how people are morally voting for one side, but then failing to look in the mirror though am I?

Edited by Strokes

https://canex.co.uk/labour-leader-sir-keir-starmer-is-against-cannabis-decriminalisation/

Labour Leader Sir Keir Starmer Is Against Cannabis Decriminalisation

Honestly Keir Starmer is such a shit opposition. To me he is just a diet can of Tory. No real opposition. No real or interesting policies. Just overall shit. 

Edited by Christoph
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Christoph said:

https://canex.co.uk/labour-leader-sir-keir-starmer-is-against-cannabis-decriminalisation/

Labour Leader Sir Keir Starmer Is Against Cannabis Decriminalisation

Honestly Keir Starmer is such a shit opposition. To me he is just a diet can of Tory. No real opposition. No real or interesting policies. Just overall shit. 

Belongs in the things I can't get my head around thread.  Baffling position.