Jump to content
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

 

The more time goes on, the weirder it looks that the LDs didn't go for her. Had a genuine chance to break with the spectre of the Coalition and carve out a new niche as a progressive and pro-EU party while Labour are still in a bit of disarray after the Corbyn years. Baffling.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Oh absolutely. Always found it odd how people are happy to undermine their own argument by resorting to shit puns that most people have seen a million times before. See also "Bozo" etc.

 

14 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

That's slightly witty though, although I can't say it's that amusing. Calling someone Keith who's actually called Keir either seems like a typo or someone who genuinely doesn't know his name.

 

Captain hindsight I'll give you, that's slightly amusing. All very childish though isn't it really but what do you expect from a load of Etonians.

Maybe it's just a very 'British' thing to take the piss out of politicians on both sides of the spectrum.

 

I mean Spitting image were poking fun at Roy Hattersley for gobbing everywhere and grey John Major having peas for dinner, and that was 30 years ago.

 

Things do seem to be more spiteful/nasty these days though I think. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Izzy said:

 

Maybe it's just a very 'British' thing to take the piss out of politicians on both sides of the spectrum.

 

I mean Spitting image were poking fun at Roy Hattersley for gobbing everywhere and grey John Major having peas for dinner, and that was 30 years ago.

 

Things do seem to be more spiteful/nasty these days though I think. 

Oh no, all politicians deserve a good lampooning - it's just surely people can do better than calling a man whose name is Keir "Keith"...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with taking the piss out of politicians. Some of of names have a level of humour, but lets be honest. Maybot because people perceived she was emotionless. Captain Hindsight, because people think he, well make suggestions after the fact, even Bozo because some see him as a bit of a clown. Not saying they are funny, but you can see the thought process  But Keith, it just has no level of humour, I struggle to see where the joke actually is.

 

It's like a shite as the joke is, calling Man Utd Manure at least has a basis in some comedy. Manure is shit, not far off the same letters as  Man Utd, there you go. Calling Liverpool, LiVARpool based on their favourable treatment is the same. But people calling Forest Florist is as the same as Keir and Keith, I'm not sure where the insult or the humour is supposed to dirrive from.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

The more time goes on, the weirder it looks that the LDs didn't go for her. Had a genuine chance to break with the spectre of the Coalition and carve out a new niche as a progressive and pro-EU party while Labour are still in a bit of disarray after the Corbyn years. Baffling.

She is the only LD Mp with something about her that is for sure.  I'm not sure arguing free speech isn't a priority when government overreach is probably at it's worst is sensible though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Nothing wrong with taking the piss out of politicians. Some of of names have a level of humour, but lets be honest. Maybot because people perceived she was emotionless. Captain Hindsight, because people think he, well make suggestions after the fact, even Bozo because some see him as a bit of a clown. Not saying they are funny, but you can see the thought process  But Keith, it just has no level of humour, I struggle to see where the joke actually is.

 

It's like a shite as the joke is, calling Man Utd Manure at least has a basis in some comedy. Manure is shit, not far off the same letters as  Man Utd, there you go. Calling Liverpool, LiVARpool based on their favourable treatment is the same. But people calling Forest Florist is as the same as Keir and Keith, I'm not sure where the insult or the humour is supposed to dirrive from.

Completely agree, its odd. Spuds as well, wheres the insult? potatoes are nice

 

Where do you stand on Direby? Its borderline for me

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, keithweller said:

Completely agree, its odd. Spuds as well, wheres the insult? potatoes are nice

 

Where do you stand on Direby? Its borderline for me

 

I mean it's not great, but Dire meaning crap Derby are crap, I get the thinking, but the spelling isn't that close, so it's borderline. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Nothing wrong with taking the piss out of politicians. Some of of names have a level of humour, but lets be honest. Maybot because people perceived she was emotionless. Captain Hindsight, because people think he, well make suggestions after the fact, even Bozo because some see him as a bit of a clown. Not saying they are funny, but you can see the thought process  But Keith, it just has no level of humour, I struggle to see where the joke actually is.

 

It's like a shite as the joke is, calling Man Utd Manure at least has a basis in some comedy. Manure is shit, not far off the same letters as  Man Utd, there you go. Calling Liverpool, LiVARpool based on their favourable treatment is the same. But people calling Forest Florist is as the same as Keir and Keith, I'm not sure where the insult or the humour is supposed to dirrive from.

I never get the Florest thing. Makes them sound flowery and fragrant (although I suppose that in every bunch of roses there's always a ****). 

 

Prefer Snotters as that's historically acurrate and sounds a bit insulting. But if calling them Notts pisses them off then fair enough. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Would Labour have been better off sticking with Corbyn rather than bringing in Sir Keith?

 

 

I think it would be more ****ed with Corbyn - the opposition would be fiercer but the noise would be louder; driving a larger wedge. Personally really think Starmer is stuck at the mo when you look at objectively; the opposition to things should be stronger in order to improve the pandemic response but you don't want labelled as obstructive to the overall cause. 

 

2 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Whilst I try not to revel in schadenfreude wherever possible, I have found the Darren Grimes news particularly amusing. 

 

Goes to show that an endless amount of boot-licking can only get you so far, until the new flavour of the month comes along. 

 

It's not even just a left/right thing; I can't stand any of Ash Sarkar, Tom Harwood, Darren Grimes and the other countless opportunists who have helped turned Politics into a cesspit of social media soundbites. 

In some ways sad, Harwood actually lost followers last week when he decided to post something from the latest series of RuPaul's Drag Race. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

The more time goes on, the weirder it looks that the LDs didn't go for her. Had a genuine chance to break with the spectre of the Coalition and carve out a new niche as a progressive and pro-EU party while Labour are still in a bit of disarray after the Corbyn years. Baffling.

Always think she comes across really well when I see her in the media. Quite charismatic and seemingly intelligent. 'SIr' Ed Davey on the other hand... Well least said the better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

In some ways sad, Harwood actually lost followers last week when he decided to post something from the latest series of RuPaul's Drag Race. 

Very much so, the ridiculousness of it all would be amusing were it not so pathetic and sad. 

 

In some ways I feel sorry for Darren Grimes in that he's seemingly been chewed and spat out by the 'machine' now that he offers nothing of worth (debatable as to whether he ever did). 

 

I also find it difficult when people like him discuss their mental health issues, as of course I feel sorry for anybody who's struggling with those demons. However, when somebody is so divisive, on either side of the spectrum, and their entire job, if you can call it that, is to upset the apple cart and rile your angry supporters then It's much more difficult to have sympathy. I'd imagine I'd feel similar if Farage takes up mindful meditation. 

 

I guess those on the centre right perhaps had similar feelings with Alistair Campbell's struggles. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

In some ways sad, Harwood actually lost followers last week when he decided to post something from the latest series of RuPaul's Drag Race. 

Just got a new job at GB news.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst the government will get a bounce from the vaccine effort, which basically comes down to throwing a load of money at a problem, which they've done very well. The contracts and initial response will come under great scrutiny. I doubt Hancock and his racing chums will come out of that smelling of roses, the stuff I've read on that and Cheltenham festival is pretty shambolic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

We live in strange times though, don't we? For starters, nobody ever seems to resign anymore, do they? In years gone by Jenrick, Patel, Cummings and Hancock could easily have walked for what they've done in the last year or so, but the thing now seems to be to front it out and wait for the heat to go out of it. It just leads to this constant feeling, for me at least, of the envelope constantly being pushed by government to see what they can get away with. If the polls are anything to go by, quite a lot

Any semblance of decency and integrity in politics seems to have evaporated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

I still can't believe after the blatant coruption of the tories giving contracts to their mates that they still lead in the polls. 

The polls that would have any effect on won't be out yet I wouldn't have thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...