Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

Conservatives have leads in the last 11 opinion polls since Labour led by 4pts on Jan 28.

In fact that was the only one in the past 17 where the Tories weren't in front.

Of course we're a long, long way from the next GE but you'd be concerned at Labour HQ not to be more popular after the Govt's handling of the pandemic.

Also...

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's not a level playing field though, is it?  Left-wing politics always face an uphill struggle against the machinations of billionaire protectionists, populists and apparently the default psyche of humans.  Right-wingers don't need arguments to win, they just show people a funny picture of a man eating a sandwich and people lose their minds.  Meanwhile the left can spend years cataloguing and exposing malfeasance by the right-wing incumbents and people will simply shrug their shoulders because somehow they've been taught to believe that it will always have been worse under left-wingers.  Even when labour were in power you could see people falling for the inverse idea that it could always have been better under the right-wing alternative, the fact some idiots still think they're somehow responsible for our economic woes in 2008 when all the expert analysis has widely considered Brown et al. to have set the playbook for responsible economic recovery following such a scenario supports this.  It's just not cricket Geoff.

Are you quite left wing by any chance?

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's not a level playing field though, is it?  Left-wing politics always face an uphill struggle against the machinations of billionaire protectionists, populists and apparently the default psyche of humans.  Right-wingers don't need arguments to win, they just show people a funny picture of a man eating a sandwich and people lose their minds.  Meanwhile the left can spend years cataloguing and exposing malfeasance by the right-wing incumbents and people will simply shrug their shoulders because somehow they've been taught to believe that it will always have been worse under left-wingers.  Even when labour were in power you could see people falling for the inverse idea that it could always have been better under the right-wing alternative, the fact some idiots still think they're somehow responsible for our economic woes in 2008 when all the expert analysis has widely considered Brown et al. to have set the playbook for responsible economic recovery following such a scenario supports this.  It's just not cricket Geoff.

As true as this is and that the game is rigged, it is the only game in town right now.

So lefties need to either git gud, smash the board, or win long enough to be able to change the rules. That, sadly, is just how it is.

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

As true as this is and that the game is rigged, it is the only game in town right now.

So lefties need to either git gud, smash the board, or win long enough to be able to change the rules. That, sadly, is just how it is.

I jut posted about this in another thread but the fact that it's as you put it 'the only game in town' is Labours problem. Starmer and his lot took power away from the left to make themselves electable. But at the same time they've alienated the hard core in their party. I can't see a scenario where Labour will regain power under a leader like Starmer without the grass routes on board and at the same time a leader like Corbyn can't prevail in a system rigged against left wing politics. 

2 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I jut posted about this in another thread but the fact that it's as you put it 'the only game in town' is Labours problem. Starmer and his lot took power away from the left to make themselves electable. But at the same time they've alienated the hard core in their party. I can't see a scenario where Labour will regain power under a leader like Starmer without the grass routes on board and at the same time a leader like Corbyn can't prevail in a system rigged against left wing politics. 

I totally agree about the nature of the problem, but it's up to Labour to solve it - either within or without the confines of the rigged game that exists now - because you can be sure as hell that the other side won't help them do so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I totally agree about the nature of the problem, but it's up to Labour to solve it - either within or without the confines of the rigged game that exists now - because you can be sure as hell that the other side won't help them do so.

Totally agree. The issue is that when any party is in power there needs to be a proper opposition with some prospect of unseating the govt. That's not happening at the moment and hasn't happened since probably Milliband (maybe earlier). Any party in power for 10/15/20 years will get complacent and whether that has happened or not yet is subjective. The issues with the Labour Party isn't just an issue for Labour supporters or the 'left wing' but for us all as not having an effective opposition damages our democracy. 

19 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Totally agree. The issue is that when any party is in power there needs to be a proper opposition with some prospect of unseating the govt. That's not happening at the moment and hasn't happened since probably Milliband (maybe earlier). Any party in power for 10/15/20 years will get complacent and whether that has happened or not yet is subjective. The issues with the Labour Party isn't just an issue for Labour supporters or the 'left wing' but for us all as not having an effective opposition damages our democracy. 

Accountability doesn't necessarily have to come from an adversarial opposition party, but yes - there definitely has to be some. Acton had it right when he talked about power corrupting.

41 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Very true, I'm just pointing out that people suck so their popularity is unlikely to be a function of their competence.

41 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Are you quite left wing by any chance?

Am I wrong though?  You alluded to it yourself how even after all the cock ups and shrivelling Tory 'leadership' of the past year, labour can still barely maintain popularity.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Would Labour have been better off sticking with Corbyn rather than bringing in Sir Keith?

Unfortunately for him, Sir Keir is not really an affective Leader of Opposition this far away from an election, he doesn't really incite passion for change so far away from it's ability to happen as well as Corbyn did.

Proof will be in the pudding when we are closing in to a general election and he can lay down specific policies and put himself across as the steady, sensible leader that is more his style.

• Like 1

I don't think that everything the Byline Times puts out is amazing by any means (although generally the quality of journalism is pretty good), I thought this was a great piece on something that seems to be a bit of a hot topic at the moment.

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/02/18/from-folklore-to-wokelore-how-myths-of-britishness-are-turning-totalitarian/

10 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Would Labour have been better off sticking with Corbyn rather than bringing in Sir Keith?

Is it any real surprise? The government has overseen the best vaccine rollout in Europe, it deserves plaudits for it and rightly that’s reflected in the polls. 

Of course, we have the roadmap out of lockdown on Monday, followed by the March budget, and then you’d assume an end to furlough sometime between now and late summer, which may bring up some economic realities that may well push the resolve of the government.

That said, coming out of lockdown Starmer will have to offer some solid policy rather than play the co-operation card. How effective that will be remains to be seen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

No. 

*Keir

Amazes me that calling him "Keith" passes for humour.

Thought he made a decent speech yesterday with some good policy ideas, but he still needs to emote better. That's how you connect with the electorate.

• Like 2

Whilst I try not to revel in schadenfreude wherever possible, I have found the Darren Grimes news particularly amusing. 

Goes to show that an endless amount of boot-licking can only get you so far, until the new flavour of the month comes along. 

It's not even just a left/right thing; I can't stand any of Ash Sarkar, Tom Harwood, Darren Grimes and the other countless opportunists who have helped turned Politics into a cesspit of social media soundbites. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Amazes me that calling him "Keith" passes for humour.

Thought he made a decent speech yesterday with some good policy ideas, but he still needs to emote better. That's how you connect with the electorate.

Was it meant to be a joke? The reason I'm asking is I can't understand how it's even an attempt at humour. Surely a typo? No one would think that's funny would they?

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Was it meant to be a joke? The reason I'm asking is I can't understand how it's even an attempt at humour. Surely a typo? No one would think that's funny would they?

A sizeable amount of people on Twitter would disagree with us on that one. Same lads who clap like seals whenever Johnson says "Captain Hindsight".

6 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

A sizeable amount of people on Twitter would disagree with us on that one. Same lads who clap like seals whenever Johnson says "Captain Hindsight".

It works both way though. Remember how we rolled around the aisles in fits of laughter at 'Maybot' :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

Just now, Izzy said:

It works both way though. Remember how we rolled around the aisles in fits of laughter at 'Maybot' :rolleyes:

Oh absolutely. Always found it odd how people are happy to undermine their own argument by resorting to shit puns that most people have seen a million times before. See also "Bozo" etc.

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That's slightly witty though, although I can't say it's that amusing. Calling someone Keith who's actually called Keir either seems like a typo or someone who genuinely doesn't know his name.

Captain hindsight I'll give you, that's slightly amusing. All very childish though isn't it really but what do you expect from a load of Etonians.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot