Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

40 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

What working class roots lollol the guy was at the top of the prosecution service after being a human rights lawyer. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's a perfectly admirable thing to do in life, but why make things up about the guy that no one is buying

So your job is your roots not your upbringing? He's the son of a nurse and a toolmaker and got into a grammar school based on grades. He's worked up from a modest upbringing to get to where he is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

What working class roots lollol the guy was at the top of the prosecution service after being a human rights lawyer. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's a perfectly admirable thing to do in life, but why make things up about the guy that no one is buying

36 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

So your job is your roots not your upbringing? He's the son of a nurse and a toolmaker and got into a grammar school based on grades. He's worked up from a modest upbringing to get to where he is. 

And his middle name is Rodney!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Just really glad there's no institutional racism in the UK.

We can now get back to the important stuff, like protecting statues

Have you got any evidence to the contrary of the report?

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

“Toolmaker” is a novel way of describing someone who ran a tool factory.

36 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

“Toolmaker” is a novel way of describing someone who ran a tool factory.

Or someone that worked in one.

I mean you could just admit you got it wrong rather than doubling down on your mistake.

• Like 1

Race is being used as a big distraction from class imo. A perfect way to pit the working classes against each other to prevent the public directing their ire at the real issue - entrenched wealth, power and influence.

Also worth saying that ethnic minorities face some level of disadvantage and discrimination in every country in the world. The UK is one of the best places to live as a minority. Obvious point as well but if it's so terrible living here as an ethnic minority why have millions came to make lives here and will continue to do so? 

• Like 1

Just now, Sharpe's Fox said:

From the Financial Times profile of Keir Starmer

image.png.e9e8b9afd2e78337fa05f217e79843bf.png

Fair enough. 

If you only you'd gone with that in you first post rather than implying his own job defined whether we grew up working class or not. He still not come from a particularly privileged background though has he.

14 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

From the Financial Times profile of Keir Starmer

image.png.e9e8b9afd2e78337fa05f217e79843bf.png

10 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Fair enough. 

If you only you'd gone with that in you first post rather than implying his own job defined whether we grew up working class or not. He still not come from a particularly privileged background though has he.

It appears the FT has it wrong.

A direct quote from KS:

"Sir Keir said his father worked as a toolmaker in a factory and would work 14-hour days, coming home for an hour at 17:00 "for his tea" before returning to work again in the evening."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54946046

And another:

“My dad was a toolmaker and my mum was a nurse. And not everybody knows that and that’s because I don’t say it very often … the middle class background just doesn’t wash.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/17/labour-candidates-rush-to-highlight-working-class-backgrounds

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Fair enough. 

He's been in an elite crust of society for a long time now. He's obviously got there on merit, I wouldn't deny that, but he is still there and thinks in a way that makes him valid in that crowd. I would argue that being at the level he has been at would put him at odds with working class people, yes, but I probably have a different view of state security, the police and the prosecution service than you.

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

It appears the FT has it wrong.

A direct quote from KS:

"Sir Keir said his father worked as a toolmaker in a factory and would work 14-hour days, coming home for an hour at 17:00 "for his tea" before returning to work again in the evening."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54946046

And another:

“My dad was a toolmaker and my mum was a nurse. And not everybody knows that and that’s because I don’t say it very often … the middle class background just doesn’t wash.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/17/labour-candidates-rush-to-highlight-working-class-backgrounds

If I was a politician I would probably try to say something about my background to ingratiate myself with my target electoral audience as well.

4 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

If I was a politician I would probably try to say something about my background to ingratiate myself with my target electoral audience as well.

Why would he lie about something so easily disproved?

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

Why would he lie about something so easily disproved?

If its so easily disproved why wasn't the claim disputed? The Financial Times is a big publication and the Labour Party has lots of PR and legal people working for it. 

To be fair I'm not even that arsed but it would be nice if people just attempted to be correct.

15 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

He's been in an elite crust of society for a long time now. He's obviously got there on merit, I wouldn't deny that, but he is still there and thinks in a way that makes him valid in that crowd. I would argue that being at the level he has been at would put him at odds with working class people, yes, but I probably have a different view of state security, the police and the prosecution service than you.

So because someone reaches a high level that puts them at odds with the working class? Surely that's true of every leading politician then. And coming from his background means he's more in touch with the working class than someone like Johnson. 

Also I don't see what our views on these things have to do with this. All the suggestion was was for Starmer to use his background to get working class people onside, nothing to do with either of our views so no idea why you brought that up. The point was Starmer needs to play on his background, say to the working class, I'm come from the same background as you, and I understand your issues. The jobs he's done as an adult are irrelevant, in fact they are beacon of hope to all that they can better themselves, or at least that's what Starmer should be trying to paint it as.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

If its so easily disproved why wasn't the claim disputed? The Financial Times is a big publication and the Labour Party has lots of PR and legal people working for it. 

To be fair I'm not even that arsed but it would be nice if people just attempted to be correct.

How do you know it wasn't and the FT didn't publish a correction? Have you searched for it? You saying people aren't attempting being correct and you're assuming you are, whilst ignoring direct quotes from the mam himself.

To be fair I'm not even that arsed but it would be nice if people just attempted to be correct. :thumbup:

Edited by Facecloth

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

The toolmaker story is repeated by Wikipedia, which quotes the New Statesman and BuzzFeed....in addition to Starmer's own comments.

I'm pretty sure the Tories would be all over it if he'd told lies about his background as it could destroy his credibility.

But then Wikipedia says that Corbyn has been in the elite crust of society as an MP for almost 40 years and that he grew up in rural Wiltshire, attended a fee-paying prep school and an elite grammar school that took boarders.

Yet, I know for a fact that you and Jeremy have both been working class heroes leading the revolution from down a coal mine for decades (while living in a shoebox and licking the lake dry every morning, of course). 

• Like 1