Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

The toolmaker story is repeated by Wikipedia, which quotes the New Statesman and BuzzFeed....in addition to Starmer's own comments.

I'm pretty sure the Tories would be all over it if he'd told lies about his background as it could destroy his credibility.

But then Wikipedia says that Corbyn has been in the elite crust of society as an MP for almost 40 years and that he grew up in rural Wiltshire, attended a fee-paying prep school and an elite grammar school that took boarders.

Yet, I know for a fact that you and Jeremy have both been working class heroes leading the revolution from down a coal mine for decades (while living in a shoebox and licking the lake dry every morning, of course). 

The New Statesmen, Wikipedia and BuzzFeed! What's the title of the article? "These are the professions of Keir Starmer's extended family: you won't believe number 6!"?

7 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

The New Statesmen, Wikipedia and BuzzFeed! What's the title of the article? "These are the professions of Keir Starmer's extended family: you won't believe number 6!"?

You've already been given direct quotes from him, why are you still trying to disprove it? I thought you couldn't be arsed, you just wanted people to try and be correct, yet you're still arguing even though people have provided proof you got it wrong.

14 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

You've already been given direct quotes from him, why are you still trying to disprove it? I thought you couldn't be arsed, you just wanted people to try and be correct, yet you're still arguing even though people have provided proof you got it wrong.

You believed me half an hour ago! I can forgive Starmer making up a relatable story about his background, Labour leaders especially do it all the time, but I can't forgive you lot for not seeing through it. Honestly, I get accused of being in a cult but I'm nothing on the Starmer truthers

Edited by Sharpe's Fox

9 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

You believed me half an hour ago! I can forgive Starmer making up a relatable story about his background, Labour leaders especially do it all the time, but I can't forgive you lot for not seeing through it. Honestly, I get accused of being in a cult but I'm nothing on the Starmer truthers

Which "cult" are you in, out of curiosity?

7 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

You posted a reputable source, someone else posted a more reputable source. I'm not a Starmer truther, I would say though you are the complete opposite to one, looking for anything you can find to discredit him, and constantly moving the goal post when proved wrong. It's pretty clear you can't stand him, I'm sure criticising him when he does stuff wrong is enough without spending you're time looking for it.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/03/31/exclusive-covid-vaccine-passports-would-un-british-sayssir-keir/

'Covid vaccine passports would be un-British, says Sir Keir Starmer'

Oh it's almost as if he wants me to vote Red :worship:

It's almost like he sees what the majority of people in the UK think and says the opposite.

(not a fan of the passports btw)

Would be interesting though if Labour position themselves as pro-customs union with the EU and anti vaccine passport, becoming the party of free-trade and civil-liberties competing with the big-government, popular-with-the-working-class Conservatives. 

9 hours ago, bovril said:

"It looked very much at the time as if the Conservative Party was not going to be able to get an overall majority on its own, particularly if it failed to promise a referendum. Under those circumstances, a Conservative Government, if it were able to be formed at all, might have depended on a UKIP alliance of some kind."

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/interview-pdf/?personid=43379

And what did Labour do to capitalise on the situation?£120 off your energy bill.Which would have been sneaked back anyway.Their 2015 campaign was pathetic.It’s forgotten that immigration was the main political subject for at least three years pre Brexit.It dominated every single political tv and radio discussion show.It was arguably starting to get a bit heated.Sorry,but Labour will be tagged the party of unlimited immigration for at least a generation.It neither has the will or know how to change that.So we wait for a Tory implosion,voter boredom or alien invasion for a change.

32 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

On the subject of Starmer, it's looking increasingly desperate now, miles behind everywhere apart from London. 

Labour have spent quite some time appealing to, almost exclusively, tyke marginalised in society. Noble enough but they've forgotten that their 'safe' voter base is the quiet majority of workers. 

All very well pandering to a demographic of the disaffected but if it alienates your regular voter this is what happens. I honestly think it's decades until Labour can provide a strident opposition. 

The Tories clearly took a leaf out of both Thatcher and Blair's book on the importance of good PR, and tbf they've played a blinder there in recent times.

Starmer being something of a political "Rich Tea biscuit" (thanks for that one, Finn) doesn't seem to be good for Labour right now either.

2 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

And what did Labour do to capitalise on the situation?£120 off your energy bill.Which would have been sneaked back anyway.Their 2015 campaign was pathetic.It’s forgotten that immigration was the main political subject for at least three years pre Brexit.It dominated every single political tv and radio discussion show.It was arguably starting to get a bit heated.Sorry,but Labour will be tagged the party of unlimited immigration for at least a generation.It neither has the will or know how to change that.So we wait for a Tory implosion,voter boredom or alien invasion for a change.

If that's true (and I've no reason to doubt it) then going back to an earlier conversation...I wonder how much of the talking points then were based on job concerns and how much was simply out and out racism?

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56597771

One of the UK's leading brain surgeons, who has advanced prostate cancer, has said an inquiry into assisted dying is "absolutely essential".

Spot on. Long past time we had a proper talk about this. Instead of it being shut down on "but but but vulnerable people..." arguments. Get doctors involved, get discussing safeguards and get discussing giving people the choice of when they want to die. 

As an aside, everyone who hasn't already should read his book "Do no harm".

It's astonishing, and a helpful reminder, if one were needed, as to why not many people are brain surgeons

14 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Just really glad there's no institutional racism in the UK.

We can now get back to the important stuff, like protecting statues

Rebranding the Slave Trade as the "Caribbean Experience" really is quite the thing. :nigel:

Edited by Voll Blau

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The view on Starmer and the conclusions drawn from polls remind me of how a football manager is viewed in the first part of the season after a few losses. 

There’s a very long time to the next election and issues will be zoned into the previous eighteen months. As much as the current lot have annoyed with COVID, it won’t be that what decides the next election. 

Thoroughly depressingly the lack of scrunity Johnson has faced with the Arcuri affair 

The Tories run the media so its no surprise there's a lack of attention on it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1