Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

Sir Alan Duncan has been out to get the PM for a long time, so if his diaries contain such material then that's no real surprise. Doubtless he'll make plenty of money from bad-mouthing his former colleague, so that he can maintain his luxury lifestyle out in Indonesia, whilst the PM continues to work on the nation's recovery from the pandemic.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Well, if it is untrue and therefore libellous, I look forward to the PM taking it into a courtroom.

It's fairly unusual for politicians to sue colleagues for libel or slander. When the PM is no longer in parliament, he'll no doubt wish to publish his own political memoirs, wordsmith that he is. That will give him ample opportunity to get revenge on the likes of Sir Alan Duncan (or SAD for short), although I suspect that he's not that petty. 

18 minutes ago, String fellow said:

It's fairly unusual for politicians to sue colleagues for libel or slander. When the PM is no longer in parliament, he'll no doubt wish to publish his own political memoirs, wordsmith that he is. That will give him ample opportunity to get revenge on the likes of Sir Alan Duncan (or SAD for short), although I suspect that he's not that petty. 

Yeah, I can't say I really understand the mentality of that tbh. Publishing memoirs just makes the whole thing into a "he said X/yes, but he said X" slanging match, and if such allegations were untrue (and the PM could prove it), I would think it would look rather better by sorting it out once and for all in court.

Edit: or perhaps he feels he doesn't have to do anything because he knows enough people don't really care if it's true or not?

Edited by leicsmac

25 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, I can't say I really understand the mentality of that tbh. Publishing memoirs just makes the whole thing into a "he said X/yes, but he said X" slanging match, and if such allegations were untrue (and the PM could prove it), I would think it would look rather better by sorting it out once and for all in court.

Edit: or perhaps he feels he doesn't have to do anything because he knows enough people don't really care if it's true or not?

Honestly, I think it’s better not to go to court unless you’re greatly enthused by the process. It’s time-consuming, expensive and all your dirty laundry gets aired. Someone like Boris would never be out of court for things said about him, plus people would then draw inference from anything he didn’t go to court for. Unless you’re desperate for exposure or it’s a distinct one-off that’s massively damaged your reputation like in Becky Vardy’s case, I’d say it’s better to either get revenge in your own memoirs like mentioned above, or do something infinitely more devastating and ignore your embittered accuser completely.

Where I do agree is with your edit: “Alan Duncan dislikes Boris Johnson” isn’t news. Nor is Duncan revealing anything here that we didn’t already know. I don’t think many people will care.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

What people care about on forums and social media appears to be very, very different to what the average man/woman in the street cares about, or doesn't care about.

Yeah, it’s like the old Westminster trap, I guess - political commentators thinking something was dynamite but then finding nobody outside the Westminster bubble and the journalists actually cared.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Honestly, I think it’s better not to go to court unless you’re greatly enthused by the process. It’s time-consuming, expensive and all your dirty laundry gets aired. Someone like Boris would never be out of court for things said about him, plus people would then draw inference from anything he didn’t go to court for. Unless you’re desperate for exposure or it’s a distinct one-off that’s massively damaged your reputation like in Becky Vardy’s case, I’d say it’s better to either get revenge in your own memoirs like mentioned above, or do something infinitely more devastating and ignore your embittered accuser completely.

Where I do agree is with your edit: “Alan Duncan dislikes Boris Johnson” isn’t news. Nor is Duncan revealing anything here that we didn’t already know. I don’t think many people will care.

That's sort of my point all along: that it doesn't matter if the current PM is viewed that way by international observers is true or not because as you say, people don't care.

However, I personally think that's more of a judgement on the people outside the "Westminster bubble" than those within it.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

That's sort of my point all along: that it doesn't matter if the current PM is viewed that way by international observers is true or not because as you say, people don't care.

However, I personally think that's more of a judgement on the people outside the "Westminster bubble" than those within it.

I think it’s a reflection of both.

I had a press conference on during the week, and it occurred to me why people are more willing to give Boris a pass - he can make people laugh. Not in a clown/pie in the face way, although I know those who dislike him will laugh at him; but his delivery of off-the-cuff wit is very British humour and appealing to people. After all, it’s one thing to debate with people and come across as intelligent and competent. But getting people to root for you is massive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I think it’s a reflection of both.

I had a press conference on during the week, and it occurred to me why people are more willing to give Boris a pass - he can make people laugh. Not in a clown/pie in the face way, although I know those who dislike him will laugh at him; but his delivery of off-the-cuff wit is very British humour and appealing to people. After all, it’s one thing to debate with people and come across as intelligent and competent. But getting people to root for you is massive.

Charisma is important. But I posit that it also helps to be doing a good job from a standpoint of fact rather than just perception. I wonder, vaccine rollout aside, if that is true.

But then charismatic actors who are often out of their depth (only history will be able to judge the current PM on that one though) have been a part of the political process since time immemorial, I guess. It's certainly the case in other parts of the world in recent times.

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

I'd always encourage politicians to go to court. I'm always hoping for a repeat of when Jonathan Aitken sued The Guardian for libel when it was basically doing its job, and ended up doing actual jail time for perjury. An excitingly rare example of criminal behaviour in political circles actually having consequences

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

What people care about on forums and social media appears to be very, very different to what the average man/woman in the street cares about, or doesn't care about.

It certainly looks from your footer that you've conducted extensive research.

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

4 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

This guy is one of the biggest weapons in the entire country. Seen him on breakfast telly a few times and he is constantly soiling himself live to the nation.

He seems a strange one for sure, like an FBPE version of Owen Jones. 

I'm sure Kieth will be terrified about what Femi is planning to write! lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

This guy is one of the biggest weapons in the entire country. Seen him on breakfast telly a few times and he is constantly soiling himself live to the nation.

I so hope team Starmer ignore his request.Can’t wait to read his article.What a wazzock.

4 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Why are you still referring to a man as ‘Kieth’ that you know full well is called Keir?

It's something the Corbyn fans do. Never knew Geoff was one.

• Like 2

Interesting poll for the Scottish elections: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9434757/Pro-independence-parties-set-super-majority-Scottish-elections.html

According to that.....

- On a knife-edge whether the SNP wins an absolute majority

- Likely to be a sizeable majority ("supermajority") for IndyRef2 due to the Scottish Greens winning extra seats

- Salmond's new Alba Party forecast to win 6 seats via the additional members list

Could be interesting if the polls shift a bit and Sturgeon is dependent on Salmond for an overall majority..... :blink: