Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Gary Neville would be first in line to complain if nothing was done and deaths soared in Manchester. I don't blame him but its another case of the being all for restrictions as long as they don't affect me sort of attitude.

Fact is you either do nothing and see what happens, or you have to make difficult decisions about restrictions. Unfortunately for hospitality and any other leisure activities, they are always going to close before they get to schools and education. They'd be an uproar if schools were closed but everyone was able to go out to pubs. 

Its a difficult balance, and I don't know what the answer is. Once you close something though it's going to be difficult to open it up again. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

This is something interesting which I have come across (taken from the official NHS website). 

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

You can look at the official statistics for daily deaths. If you look at the 11th October for example, it states:

"A positive test result for COVID-19 was not received but COVID-19 is mentioned on their death certificate - 5"

Why are deaths which have not received a positive test being added to the death toll?

I found this which seems to explain it:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-nhs-doctors-death-certificates-conspiracy-theories-a9513981.html

• Thanks 1

Guest Harrydc
2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

"There is no formal requirement to have a positive Covid-19 test back in order to write this on a death certificate". States it there in black and white. So, they could be going off symptoms. Symptoms which are present in thousands of other viruses too. I'm not a denier, but I am still standing by by stance that putting COVID-19 on a death certificate without a positive test result is ridiculous. 

Just now, Harrydc said:

"There is no formal requirement to have a positive Covid-19 test back in order to write this on a death certificate". States it there in black and white. So, they could be going off symptoms. Symptoms which are present in thousands of other viruses too. I'm not a denier, but I am still standing by by stance that putting COVID-19 on a death certificate without a positive test result is ridiculous. 

You've conveniently only quoted the first sentence of the whole paragraph though, it even tells you why they do it so you didn't have to guess 'they could be going off symptoms' 

Bear in mind that first tests are often negative in people who later do turn out to have Covid-19. Testing was not widely available in the first few weeks of the pandemic; it is still often hard to access outside hospital. In acute care we have become very used to how many patients with respiratory features of Covid-19 are present. There is a clear pattern based on symptoms, blood tests, observations, X-rays and the course of disease and even with a first test negative we continue to treat them as positive cases, including personal protective equipment and infection control measures. But as we started to test most adults admitted as emergencies, we also found plenty of positive cases who did not have those classical symptoms.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54506494

NHS Nightingale hospitals in Manchester, Sunderland and Harrogate are being asked to get ready to take patients.

Government advisers say admissions are rising, with more elderly people needing urgent treatment for Covid.

More people are now in hospital with Covid than before restrictions were announced in March.

Odd. Swear just a few days ago we had people on here with the whole "cases going up but hospital admissions aren't" line going. Or am I imagining things again? :huh:

47 minutes ago, Nalis said:

To be fair, they are all contributers but hospitality is seen as the evil one in the media and therefore the easiest target.

Most key voters are families so blaming hospitality rather than schools is less likely to impact future polls.

But yeah I agree the data should be sourced/referenced etc 

This is precisely the reason that ex footballers tuned pundits don't tend to make great epidemiologists. To be fair they don't tend to make great pundits either. 

28 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54506494

NHS Nightingale hospitals in Manchester, Sunderland and Harrogate are being asked to get ready to take patients.

Government advisers say admissions are rising, with more elderly people needing urgent treatment for Covid.

More people are now in hospital with Covid than before restrictions were announced in March.

Odd. Swear just a few days ago we had people on here with the whole "cases going up but hospital admissions aren't" line going. Or am I imagining things again? :huh:

Dunno. But i can 100% categorically be sure that my ex had virtually nothing to do at Glenfield at the height of the epidemic for weeks, if not months, on end. Dribs and drabs of covid patients but nowhere near the media hype of hospitals close to capacity. 

It's apparently business as usual atm, albeit all non covid patients 

1 hour ago, Harrydc said:

This is something interesting which I have come across (taken from the official NHS website). 

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

You can look at the official statistics for daily deaths. If you look at the 11th October for example, it states:

"A positive test result for COVID-19 was not received but COVID-19 is mentioned on their death certificate - 5"

Why are deaths which have not received a positive test being added to the death toll?

Do you really need to ask?

1 hour ago, Harrydc said:

p07dh0b3.thumb.jpg.1b48cc2a080eea79837ae863645aecb3.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Gary Neville would be first in line to complain if nothing was done and deaths soared in Manchester. I don't blame him but its another case of the being all for restrictions as long as they don't affect me sort of attitude.

Fact is you either do nothing and see what happens, or you have to make difficult decisions about restrictions. Unfortunately for hospitality and any other leisure activities, they are always going to close before they get to schools and education. They'd be an uproar if schools were closed but everyone was able to go out to pubs. 

Its a difficult balance, and I don't know what the answer is. Once you close something though it's going to be difficult to open it up again. 

See his point, but as he owns several Manchester restaurants and a hotel, his self interest is pretty blatant. 

just looking through the seven day average on cases and it would seem that a lot of places are seeing a small downturn from a recent peak - whether that can be sustained or is due to a lack of availability would be the question,  perhaps it reflects students having had it run rampant for the first few weeks and now being less transmissive ??  i guess the authorities have better quality data but it did seem like a straw to clutch …... 

Just now, st albans fox said:

not convinced the evidence supports it but they may decide that its an opportunity to put a lid on things early. 

Manchester tier 2 also (which is pretty much no change to where they are now )

The metro is suggesting it and I think as a politician one might want to tweak the lower limit so it is included to try and damp down the north vs the south aspect.

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

just looking through the seven day average on cases and it would seem that a lot of places are seeing a small downturn from a recent peak - whether that can be sustained or is due to a lack of availability would be the question,  perhaps it reflects students having had it run rampant for the first few weeks and now being less transmissive ??  i guess the authorities have better quality data but it did seem like a straw to clutch …... 

I hope that you are right.  Here is someone who has calculated at the smallest area reported where the top areas are.

7 have university in their name.  Note Exeter - the university there is responsible for 80% of cases in the town...

• Like 1