filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

just looking through the seven day average on cases and it would seem that a lot of places are seeing a small downturn from a recent peak - whether that can be sustained or is due to a lack of availability would be the question,  perhaps it reflects students having had it run rampant for the first few weeks and now being less transmissive ??  i guess the authorities have better quality data but it did seem like a straw to clutch …... 

Just now, st albans fox said:

not convinced the evidence supports it but they may decide that its an opportunity to put a lid on things early. 

Manchester tier 2 also (which is pretty much no change to where they are now )

The metro is suggesting it and I think as a politician one might want to tweak the lower limit so it is included to try and damp down the north vs the south aspect.

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

just looking through the seven day average on cases and it would seem that a lot of places are seeing a small downturn from a recent peak - whether that can be sustained or is due to a lack of availability would be the question,  perhaps it reflects students having had it run rampant for the first few weeks and now being less transmissive ??  i guess the authorities have better quality data but it did seem like a straw to clutch …... 

I hope that you are right.  Here is someone who has calculated at the smallest area reported where the top areas are.

7 have university in their name.  Note Exeter - the university there is responsible for 80% of cases in the town...

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Stivo said:

I hope that you are right.  Here is someone who has calculated at the smallest area reported where the top areas are.

7 have university in their name.  Note Exeter - the university there is responsible for 80% of cases in the town...

Both Edgbaston South and Selly Oak are student areas here in Birmingham (they are neighbouring areas). It's clear unfortunately that there is a huge impact in terms of universities. I guess the key question is how well this is being contained within the student community, as ultimately what they are concerned about is the virus spreading to older members of the community. I believe Birmingham is statistically the youngest city in Europe, so whilst our figures might look bad, the impact isn't going to be as severe as in some areas. Obviously this is very much an analysis of one area, but you can see the significance of those local nuances and the need to consider a wide range of data, beyond simply infection rates.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Stivo said:

Chances are some of the other areas with no reference to uni in their name have sort sort of connections to students too. For example, Shieldfield and Heaton Park in Newcastle is a very student heavy area.

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

Chances are some of the other areas with no reference to uni in their name have sort sort of connections to students too. For example, Shieldfield and Heaton Park in Newcastle is a very student heavy area.

Nunsmoor (Fenham) as well. At least, when i went to Uni up there Fenham was about the 3rd most popular student area after Jesmond and Heaton.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Goodbye UK pub culture. It was nice knowing you... :(

Lack logic doesnt it, unless the rule was having to buy a meal and staying no longer than 2 hours. Otherwise whats the point in keeping spoons open but to close other pubs?

39 minutes ago, Stivo said:

A bit of Nottingham context as someone who lives there, every single one of those areas listed is University Accom/Student Flat based apart from St Annes so i'd say that data is pretty spot on for showing the student return was the issue. Even St Anne's depending on the boundary they've drawn contains a great deal of shared housing (large properties converted into multi occupancy) 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, AjcW said:

A bit of Nottingham context as someone who lives there, every single one of those areas listed is University Accom/Student Flat based apart from St Annes so i'd say that data is pretty spot on for showing the student return was the issue. Even St Anne's depending on the boundary they've drawn contains a great deal of shared housing (large properties converted into multi occupancy) 

Same for Leeds. All of the areas mentioned for Leeds are big student areas with the exception of Little London, but that boarders the student areas and has quite a lot of high rise flats. 

I Imagine it wont be long before a super sleuth journo finds a link between Private Student Accommodation companies (most of which are held offshore in tax havens) and political party donors*. Whilst they wouldn't necessarily have had to refund student fees if students had been told to stay at home, the property companies absolutely would have had to, and the majority would have gone bust leading to empty properties all over the country.

*i'm not trying to get into a political debate here, just saying it wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 3
Just now, AjcW said:

I Imagine it wont be long before a super sleuth journo finds a link between Private Student Accommodation companies (most of which are held offshore in tax havens) and political party donors*. Whilst they wouldn't necessarily have had to refund student fees if students had been told to stay at home, the property companies absolutely would have had to, and the majority would have gone bust leading to empty properties all over the country.

*i'm not trying to get into a political debate here, just saying it wouldn't surprise me. 

I'd say the strong-arming of students to Universities by the government is almost certainly linked. As is the 'every pub closes except Wetherspoons'. 

It's transparent nepotism that we've walked into with our eyes open. 

• Like 1