Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 minutes ago, Stivo said:

I hope that you are right.  Here is someone who has calculated at the smallest area reported where the top areas are.

7 have university in their name.  Note Exeter - the university there is responsible for 80% of cases in the town...

Both Edgbaston South and Selly Oak are student areas here in Birmingham (they are neighbouring areas). It's clear unfortunately that there is a huge impact in terms of universities. I guess the key question is how well this is being contained within the student community, as ultimately what they are concerned about is the virus spreading to older members of the community. I believe Birmingham is statistically the youngest city in Europe, so whilst our figures might look bad, the impact isn't going to be as severe as in some areas. Obviously this is very much an analysis of one area, but you can see the significance of those local nuances and the need to consider a wide range of data, beyond simply infection rates.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stivo said:

I hope that you are right.  Here is someone who has calculated at the smallest area reported where the top areas are.

7 have university in their name.  Note Exeter - the university there is responsible for 80% of cases in the town...

Chances are some of the other areas with no reference to uni in their name have sort sort of connections to students too. For example, Shieldfield and Heaton Park in Newcastle is a very student heavy area.

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

Chances are some of the other areas with no reference to uni in their name have sort sort of connections to students too. For example, Shieldfield and Heaton Park in Newcastle is a very student heavy area.

Nunsmoor (Fenham) as well. At least, when i went to Uni up there Fenham was about the 3rd most popular student area after Jesmond and Heaton.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Goodbye UK pub culture. It was nice knowing you... :(

Lack logic doesnt it, unless the rule was having to buy a meal and staying no longer than 2 hours. Otherwise whats the point in keeping spoons open but to close other pubs?

39 minutes ago, Stivo said:

A bit of Nottingham context as someone who lives there, every single one of those areas listed is University Accom/Student Flat based apart from St Annes so i'd say that data is pretty spot on for showing the student return was the issue. Even St Anne's depending on the boundary they've drawn contains a great deal of shared housing (large properties converted into multi occupancy) 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AjcW said:

A bit of Nottingham context as someone who lives there, every single one of those areas listed is University Accom/Student Flat based apart from St Annes so i'd say that data is pretty spot on for showing the student return was the issue. Even St Anne's depending on the boundary they've drawn contains a great deal of shared housing (large properties converted into multi occupancy) 

Same for Leeds. All of the areas mentioned for Leeds are big student areas with the exception of Little London, but that boarders the student areas and has quite a lot of high rise flats. 

I Imagine it wont be long before a super sleuth journo finds a link between Private Student Accommodation companies (most of which are held offshore in tax havens) and political party donors*. Whilst they wouldn't necessarily have had to refund student fees if students had been told to stay at home, the property companies absolutely would have had to, and the majority would have gone bust leading to empty properties all over the country.

*i'm not trying to get into a political debate here, just saying it wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 3

Just now, AjcW said:

I Imagine it wont be long before a super sleuth journo finds a link between Private Student Accommodation companies (most of which are held offshore in tax havens) and political party donors*. Whilst they wouldn't necessarily have had to refund student fees if students had been told to stay at home, the property companies absolutely would have had to, and the majority would have gone bust leading to empty properties all over the country.

*i'm not trying to get into a political debate here, just saying it wouldn't surprise me. 

I'd say the strong-arming of students to Universities by the government is almost certainly linked. As is the 'every pub closes except Wetherspoons'. 

It's transparent nepotism that we've walked into with our eyes open. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LCFCbwoi said:

See, this is what infuriates me. You can’t pick and choose what sections of hospitality you’re going to keep open and what you’re going to close.

either, evidence proves that hospitality is the main driver of the virus and you shut all hospitality or it doesn’t. Students are one of the main drivers of the virus atm and I’m guessing that’s due to being in tightly packed university halls and not due to them being out all the time. Forcing students back to university for them then to find out all the classes are going to be online is a massive joke. 

And that’s not on the students for me, that’s on the Government, Universities and Landlords

Correct, it's the student I feel sorry for alright and have been out to be the bad guys when they are just pawns in the game sadly.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I'm from Nottingham, you're spot on. All those areas are choc full of students. I'd argue St Anns backs onto Woodborough Road, Sneinton and the like where loads of students also live.

Not difficult to see where the problem lies. Be interesting to see if blabbering Boris imposes blanket solutions to what appears to be a nuanced problem.

4 minutes ago, Stivo said:

Cambridge university are testing all  students once a week. By combining samples by household  ( pooling) they can do this with just 2000 tests a week.

And of course a fair chunk of the increase in identified cases is because of that.  When the students were at home, they weren't tested.  Now they're at university, they are tested.  Of course they will find more cases.  If you have a sample of 20,000 people and 1% of them have coronavirus, almost all of them asymptomatic, then you have 200 new cases this week that you wouldn't have found last week.  Repeat that across all universities, and you will find the number of identified cases will increase.

Randomly test 2 million students and you will find enough cases to panic our very panicky politicians.

28 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Randomly test 2 million students and you will find enough cases to panic our very panicky politicians.

I would suggest that the lesson should be that when encouraging large numbers of young people to move around the country into new  environments where they will inevitably mix there should have been a plan to test them initially and find the small number of cases before it could spread within the student halls.  

Having said that I think that there may be an element now of increased testing in those halls finding more cases.  The problem is distinguishing between increased testing because you are screening because of  a known outbreak and increased testing because more people are ill  with symptoms and go for tests.

Edited by Stivo
Use screening to describe that form of testing