Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

No, same in Birmingham. Only area I’ve seen it properly done is that of Selly Oak where the students are generally based. They have bouncers on the doors now at all times 

The numbers in Selly Oak and nearby University and Edgbaston have actually come down in the last week. But our son works in Birmingham and says compliance on mask wearing on buses is not very high. Local politicians there seem to be expecting to go to Tier 3 some time in the near future.

22 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Oldest son's class all sent home today to isolate for two weeks due to a positive case in the class.

Youngest son still has to go, not sure he'll be happy about that!

And does the school seriously think that oldest son will have no contact with youngest son or anyone else in the house?

Weve tried to beat the virus with lockdowns and restrictions and failed, probably never really stood a chance. Not sure there is anything to be done at this point. Cases and deaths are gonna keep rising regardless of what measures the gov put in, It's happening pretty much Europe wide. The only thing I feel that would actually cause numbers to decrease with any significance would be another full lockdown and at this point it would be unpopular, unenforceable and economically catastrophic. Better for the gov to relax some restrictions, throw as much cash at hospitals as they can and pray that the magical miracle vaccine arrives sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

Weve tried to beat the virus with lockdowns and restrictions and failed, probably never really stood a chance. Not sure there is anything to be done at this point. Cases and deaths are gonna keep rising regardless of what measures the gov put in, It's happening pretty much Europe wide. The only thing I feel that would actually cause numbers to decrease with any significance would be another full lockdown and at this point it would be unpopular, unenforceable and economically catastrophic. Better for the gov to relax some restrictions, throw as much cash at hospitals as they can and pray that the magical miracle vaccine arrives sooner rather than later. 

I’d not hold our breathes regarding a vaccine. Seems like things are little further back than reported. Although I doubt trump would agree. I have no clue what would be best for the country but as a nurse I know that I am fcuked. Never needed a holiday like this. 

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

And does the school seriously think that oldest son will have no contact with youngest son or anyone else in the house?

I've just had this with my wife. She cut someone's hair the tuesday before last, who tested positive on sunday after having a test because they started feeling unwell. My wife was contacted by the track and trace and was instructed to isolate from the date she was in contact with her client for 14 days, if she doesn't show any symptoms, the rest of us in the house have to carry on as normal. And now, after her stripping the wallpaper off the living room walls because she's been off for a few days, i've got to put new stuff up over the weekend. Life is a sh*tter!

12 minutes ago, casablancas said:

I’d not hold our breathes regarding a vaccine. Seems like things are little further back than reported. Although I doubt trump would agree. I have no clue what would be best for the country but as a nurse I know that I am fcuked. Never needed a holiday like this. 

Oh I'm sure a properly successful vaccine is probably years away. It's why I described it as magical and miraculous. The virus is here to stay in any case. Better to throw money at recruiting more guys like you than pointlessly shutting businesses down and subsequently giving them furlough money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

Oh I'm sure a properly successful vaccine is probably years away. It's why I described it as magical and miraculous. The virus is here to stay in any case. Better to throw money at recruiting more guys like you than pointlessly shutting businesses down and subsequently giving them furlough money.

Aye. I completely agree mate. I just have a feeling it’s gonna be like HIV, something we need to learn to live with. But I do know we are filling beds faster than discharges, let’s wait for the flue season to hit too. 

12 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Loughborough uni coming back would have boosted that, ah well. Doesn't really change all that much for me at the moment.

I thought that the lock-down in March was very successful in reducing the spread of the virus, perhaps helped by the onset of summer. Apparently, Edinburgh University is trialling Camostat (SPIKE-1) on some COVID-19 patients at home. This drug, along with Nafamostat (SPIKE-2), show promising signs of helping to minimise symptoms. As regards Charnwood, surely it's just the thin end of the wedge, which will soon see the rest of the county following suit. 

2 hours ago, casablancas said:

Aye. I completely agree mate. I just have a feeling it’s gonna be like HIV, something we need to learn to live with. But I do know we are filling beds faster than discharges, let’s wait for the flue season to hit too. 

If we’re generally socially distancing then the flu season should theoretically be reduced 

Hmmmm.__

The expert in this discussion says that the vaccines currently being trialled should provide protection against the disease, but not against infection. This means that they will not stop a vaccinated person being infected, but should prevent them from developing symptoms. or at least should ensure they only get a mild form. Unfortunately this means that they will likely still be infectious, so the herd immunity effect will be absent or at least diminished.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/why-the-next-big-vaccine-milestone-might-be-only-4-6-weeks-away/12828484

Edited by WigstonWanderer

10 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Hmmmm.__

The expert in this discussion says that the vaccines currently being trialled should provide protection against the disease, but not against infection. This means that they will not stop a vaccinated person being infected, but should prevent them from developing symptoms. or at least should ensure they only get a mild form. Unfortunately this means that they will likely still be infectious, so the herd immunity effect will be absent or at least diminished.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/why-the-next-big-vaccine-milestone-might-be-only-4-6-weeks-away/12828484

Yeah my understanding with the Oxford vaccine is that you still get it in your upper respiratory system, but the main thing is does is prevent the spread down to the lungs, which is where obviously it all starts going wrong. 

• Like 2

Knew it was only a matter of time until we were put into Tier 2 but it doesn’t make it any easier to accept. As someone that lives alone it’s not sitting well with me that I can have my friends and family over. All along we have been safe but feel like we are being punished due to others not being sensible. 

21 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

Knew it was only a matter of time until we were put into Tier 2 but it doesn’t make it any easier to accept. As someone that lives alone it’s not sitting well with me that I can have my friends and family over. All along we have been safe but feel like we are being punished due to others not being sensible. 

Social bubbles are still allowed even in tier 3.

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Wouldn’t surprise me - but I would expect 4 weeks to end 7th Dec so cases aren’t too high again  when Xmas comes around 

my uninformed guess would be that all inside social gathering premises are closed. (Bars, restaurants, cinemas, gyms).  Shops stay open (although not many will go shopping), work stays open (although please WFH if you can) and outside sports for U16’s continues.

schools stay open 

unis become on line apart from practical sessions 

a big rise in jan/feb will likely lead to another two/three week firebreak before the onset of spring reduces cases (and maybe a vaccine)

It's starting to feel a bit close to home round these parts now St A. I don't want to be locked down, obviously, but sort of feel if went into it now we can get on with flattening the ****a again, and emerge again before Crimbo. Even is, as you posit, we probably have to do the whole thing again late February.

55 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

From the Gov website:

You must not meet socially with friends and family indoors in any setting unless they are part of your household or support bubble. This includes private homes and indoors in hospitality venues, such as pubs. You must also not meet with people outside of your household or support bubble in a private garden or in most outdoor public venues.

A support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household. Households in that support bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight, and visit public places together.

You may continue to see friends and family you do not live with (or have not formed a support bubble with) outside, including in a garden or other outdoor space. When you do so, you must not meet in a group of more than 6. This limit of 6 includes children of any age.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Interesting to see Liverpool’s rate dropping whilst Manchester is still rising ......who will get the blame ?  Boris or burnham, ???

Liverpool went in earlier than Manchester, you're not comparing like with like.