Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

8 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Home Economics? 😉 

No, currently Home Entertainment :ph34r:

Ha! I remember having to take home economics at secondary school. Basically an attempt by twelve year olds at making pastry lol

So, throughout this whole thing I've personally known a handful of people that have tested positive.  Most were ok, one woman said she was really bad for two or three days.  We've had one family friend die from it but he was getting on and had some serious underlying health problems.  I know at least two other people who have lost elderly relatives.

I've followed the guidance pretty well over the entire time.  I don't have a massive issue with it.  My job is secure, I live in a nice village and I enjoy spending time with my wife and kids so I count myself as one of the lucky ones.

I understand that fatigue can set in and the prospect of another lockdown, especially around Christmas is a depressing thought, but I urge everyone to do their bit for the greater public.

A couple of days ago I had a message that my dad had tested positive, his wife displayed the same symptoms but tested negative.  They live in Spain.  I did a video call with my dad to see how he was.  A usually fit, healthy, full of life, sociable 67 year old was an absolute shadow of himself.  He was barely able to stay awake during the call, coughing constantly.  He's been like it for over a week and today it looks like they were both going to be admitted to hospital.  I have never seen him like it, nowhere near.  It was shocking.

My point is, there is a focus on the elderly and those that have existing health issues.  To anyone who thinks it's just a bad cold that is only bad for that particular demographic, think again.  This experience has been a wake up call for me personally. It's a horrible virus that can be a horrendous experience for those who get it and those who have to watch, helplessly, as loved ones struggle for breath.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, nnfox said:

So, throughout this whole thing I've personally known a handful of people that have tested positive.  Most were ok, one woman said she was really bad for two or three days.  We've had one family friend die from it but he was getting on and had some serious underlying health problems.  I know at least two other people who have lost elderly relatives.

I've followed the guidance pretty well over the entire time.  I don't have a massive issue with it.  My job is secure, I live in a nice village and I enjoy spending time with my wife and kids so I count myself as one of the lucky ones.

I understand that fatigue can set in and the prospect of another lockdown, especially around Christmas is a depressing thought, but I urge everyone to do their bit for the greater public.

A couple of days ago I had a message that my dad had tested positive, his wife displayed the same symptoms but tested negative.  They live in Spain.  I did a video call with my dad to see how he was.  A usually fit, healthy, full of life, sociable 67 year old was an absolute shadow of himself.  He was barely able to stay awake during the call, coughing constantly.  He's been like it for over a week and today it looks like they were both going to be admitted to hospital.  I have never seen him like it, nowhere near.  It was shocking.

My point is, there is a focus on the elderly and those that have existing health issues.  To anyone who thinks it's just a bad cold that is only bad for that particular demographic, think again.  This experience has been a wake up call for me personally. It's a horrible virus that can be a horrendous experience for those who get it and those who have to watch, helplessly, as loved ones struggle for breath.

All the best to your dad and his wife, keep us updated with how they get on:)

43 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Unfortunately @joachim1965 thinks what your dad has is nowhere near as bad, or maybe doesn't even exist. If you can get under his tin foil hat maybe he'll see that this thing is, you know, real.

Why his dangerous ramblings are allowed to remain on this thread is quite sad, tbh. Not only is it heartbreaking to see someone so wrong and humiliating themselves, but it peddles mistruths of which the internet footprint should minimised.

Hope your parents get better soon. 

14 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Unfortunately @joachim1965 thinks what your dad has is nowhere near as bad, or maybe doesn't even exist. If you can get under his tin foil hat maybe he'll see that this thing is, you know, real.

Why his dangerous ramblings are allowed to remain on this thread is quite sad, tbh. Not only is it heartbreaking to see someone so wrong and humiliating themselves, but it peddles mistruths of which the internet footprint should minimised.

Hope your parents get better soon. 

you my friend are a prat.

@nnfoxI hope your parents get well,  I have never said this illness does not exist or that it can't effect people seriously and cause death.

If arsewipe, sorry @Footballwipecan show me a post where I have said covid doesn't exist then please do so.

Any Londoners in here? 

I've got an appointment in London on Monday. It's usually fifteen minutes down the Piccadilly line from St Pancras. 

What adjustments should I make regards covid? How much has the tube been affected? 

TFL website just seems to quote all the generic health and safety advice regards masks and social distancing but doesn't really paint a clear picture of the current level of service. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Any Londoners in here? 

I've got an appointment in London on Monday. It's usually fifteen minutes down the Piccadilly line from St Pancras. 

What adjustments should I make regards covid? How much has the tube been affected? 

TFL website just seems to quote all the generic health and safety advice regards masks and social distancing but doesn't really paint a clear picture of the current level of service. 

Basically as normal, just a little emptier. But not by much, still too busy for me to take it at peak times. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Basically as normal, just a little emptier. But not by much, still too busy for me to take it at peak times. 

So, as depressing as it is, expect very little change? 

Are they enforcing any kind of reduced capacity in carriages or still just a melee for seats at rush hour? 

Just now, Finnegan said:

Are they enforcing any kind of reduced capacity in carriages or still just a melee for seats at rush hour? 

Very little change. Haven't seen any kind of control but as I said I've been avoiding it at peak times.

Got a Jubilee line train north this afternoon, there was one quite full train arriving in the station with another one right behind it. Everybody piled on to the first one. 

And if you try and get a train a bit earlier than everyone leaves work, you'll be a carriage with a bunch of school kids shouting and not wearing masks. 

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Any chance you could get an uber or taxi? I get the cost implication involved but might be a better option if your concerned 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

Very little change. Haven't seen any kind of control but as I said I've been avoiding it at peak times.

Got a Jubilee line train north this afternoon, there was one quite full train arriving in the station with another one right behind it. Everybody piled on to the first one. 

And if you try and get a train a bit earlier than everyone leaves work, you'll be a carriage with a bunch of school kids shouting and not wearing masks. 

Thanks mate. Think it'll be fine then. Appt is at 4 so getting a bit close to rush hour on the way back but should be fine. Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Staff said:

Any chance you could get an uber or taxi? I get the cost implication involved but might be a better option if your concerned 

St Pancras to Knightsbridge probably need a mortgage to pay a cab tbf. 

• Haha 1

I see there is a huge reluctance to put rural areas in a higher tier.

Charnwood finally got moved to tier 2 when there is areas with less cases been moved to tier 3.

Blaby should be in tier 2 now (164 per 100k) but no stories on it.

I expect the reason is that rural areas look bigger on maps and I expect if all parts of the country with more than 100 cases per 100k were in tier 2 the map would have tier 1 as a small minority, then the resistance to a national lockdown as well as educational restrictions would be harder to brush off.

The city will probably be in tier 3 during November as cases are rising.

29 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Any Londoners in here? 

I rarely take the tube but when I did a month ago I pretty well had a carriage to myself ........but my staff told me it’s still quite busy at peak times. if you can avoid that peak time then you’ll be ok - if you get an empty carriage then you can sit down which means you don’t have to touch anything which is also relevant 

Has been inevitable for the entirety of October. Given it probably won't be as effective as the first and we'll be too hasty in getting out of it, and depending on vaccine approval, effectiveness and how quickly it will be rolled out to key people, it's likely there'll be a third version by the end of winter. 

Meanwhile in Taiwan, the economy is beating pre-Covid expectations. 

Pathetic from the government releasing this news to the rags on a Friday evening. 

They just continue to either be too late in reacting or just making bad decisions. Constantly. They have no control. In power but have no power. They are shite. 

• Like 2