Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

I don’t really get the test and trace programme - let’s say I test positive tomorrow: if I’ve been in close contact with people I don’t know, then I won’t be able to identify them, and anyone I have been in contact with, I’d surely make sure to tell them anyway? How much of a difference can this make without an app?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

I don’t really get the test and trace programme - let’s say I test positive tomorrow: if I’ve been in close contact with people I don’t know, then I won’t be able to identify them, and anyone I have been in contact with, I’d surely make sure to tell them anyway? How much of a difference can this make without an app?

I’d have thought it will be to do with places you’ve visited.. supermarkets etc. Then using the gps on phones would notify the people who have also been in those locations at those times that they could have been exposed.

or something a lot more high tech but that’s what I’d do. I’m not paid the big bucks to sort this mess out tho so. As you were. 

32 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

79 new cases in Korea yesterday - mostly focused around one distribution centre. Highest number of new cases since April 5th.

Worrying that this might spiral and take a while to bring under control again.

Disappointing, but hopefully they have the tracing tools to be able to get on top of it quickly. A reminder that this virus may not be the Black Death, but it is highly contagious and small incidents can quickly get out of control unless people are vigilant.

7 hours ago, theessexfox said:

When it says people you've been in contact with, it's people you've been with 2 metres of for 15 minute or more. I don't know about you, but I'm not usually within 2 metres of someone I don't know for 15 minutes or more, especially in this day and age where no shops or restaurants are open.

• Like 1

After much disagreement and distrust in OZ about our tracking App. The government still (3 weeks after release) refuse to allow full access to the code. The app fails when using on an Iphone and there are still some questions about data security.

30 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

When it says people you've been in contact with, it's people you've been with 2 metres of for 15 minute or more. I don't know about you, but I'm not usually within 2 metres of someone I don't know for 15 minutes or more, especially in this day and age where no shops or restaurants are open.

You and I in and about Loughborough should be fine, or at least until pubs etc start to open although of cause I’d imagine we’d be avoiding crowds still. In London though I feel for those poor sods using TFL every day, one covid case and they’ll all be isolating, again and again. 

35 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

You and I in and about Loughborough should be fine, or at least until pubs etc start to open although of cause I’d imagine we’d be avoiding crowds still. In London though I feel for those poor sods using TFL every day, one covid case and they’ll all be isolating, again and again. 

That's true. After I'd written my post I realised I'd thought of it solely from my position of living somewhere like Loughborough, driving a car etc.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

Thats why I think rolling out antibody tests are crucial somewhere like London as most people who worked in central London this year up to lockdown probably had it already, which would nullify the necessity isolate over and over.

• Like 1

These fvckheads are the definition of COVIDIOT. 

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/mcdonalds-mega-fans-drive-250-18321304

They drove to McDonald's from Hull to Peterborough. Classing them as 'mega-fans' probably doesn't help. 

Of course they drive a Fiat 500 as well lol

The fact it seemed to be such a highlight of their life too speaks volumes. 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/mcdonalds-mega-fans-drive-250-18321304

They drove to McDonald's from Hull to Peterborough. Classing them as 'mega-fans' probably doesn't help. 

I hope now they've admitted it they get a fine.

Did they do a quick drive to Hornsea to check their eyesight first though?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

These people, and also the people who have sat in drive thru queues for hours just to get a Maccies after not being able to have one for a couple of months need professional help in my opinion. They have an issue. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

I’d have thought it will be to do with places you’ve visited.. supermarkets etc. Then using the gps on phones would notify the people who have also been in those locations at those times that they could have been exposed.

or something a lot more high tech but that’s what I’d do. I’m not paid the big bucks to sort this mess out tho so. As you were. 

Yeah I think that’s the point of track and trace but the test and trace programme they’re launching today relies on the person who tests telling the NHS worker over the phone who they’ve been I contact with... seems a little strange.

29 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Things like this shouldn’t bother me as much as they do but wow that is infuriating. I knew what they would look like before even clicking the article too. 

11 hours ago, theessexfox said:

I think it’s more to do with people you do know who you’ve had that contact with. So family member(s) you May have met at a park, work colleagues, schools etc. 

So basically if I get symptoms, call 119, order a test. If that test is positive, then I’m required to give the contact details of those people that I do know, that I’ve spent more than 15mins with at 2m or less. They then contact all of those people and request that they self isolate for 14 days. 

If I have got that right, then one positive test shuts my workplace down for 2 weeks, because we’ve all had that kind of contact in my place, as have hundreds of other businesses like ours. 

As is well known, you have to be very careful comparing stats between countries.  

But assuming the deaths and tests are being measured in roughly the same way, here is a question ...

Why is Switzerland's death rate so much higher than Austria?  (222 per million vs 74 per million).  

The number of tests performed appear to be similar (45000 per million vs 47000 per million).

These are similar-ish countries, with a strong Germanic culture and influence.   Switzerland is a very modern, safe country that is typically held up as example of a civilised place and where everything works.   I've been there ... the trains really do all run on time.

So why the massive difference in 2 neighbouring countries?