Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

They literally said this was the plan before we entered the lockdown?

So you mean school holidays? 

They said we'd go back to tiers, nothing was mentioned about 'strengthing tiers', which will more than likely mean that Tier 3 or whatever it'll be will pretty much be the same as a national lockdown.

School holidays aren't until after mid December, 18th this year I believe, in Leicestershire anyway.

Just now, rachhere said:

Surely they are the ones leaking it deliberately? 

I heard the other day they wanted to send different messages out to ministers in the hope of weeding out who the leak comes from. Not sure if that was true and if it was, how they're getting on with it... 

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Univeristies will be shut to students from the 9th at the latest. Several schools and colleges have also hit the news for doing the same. 

Tired of it all now tbh. Sick of the Gov. leaking huge announcements to the media days before officially announcing it. 

Ah ok my kids school isn’t shutting any earlier as yet but wouldn’t mind them doing so 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I heard the other day they wanted to send different messages out to ministers in the hope of weeding out who the leak comes from. Not sure if that was true and if it was, how they're getting on with it... 

clearly been getting guidance from Mrs Rooney...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Seriously? Scientists have been telling us for a long time that vaccines take many years to develop, now we have one that has been developed and tested within months. Whether it’s a fantastic achievement or not, people will question its validity, they’d be stupid not to and it’s like many things, people will initially err on the side of caution. I personally think we should give it to all the murders and peadophiles in prison, leave it a month and if none of them die, everyone else gets it.

The prison population in the UK is 88k.

Pfizer's test group alone was 44k. My guess is there's already been more people in the various vaccine trials who have been given the vaccine than there are people in jail for murder and paedophilia.

Unless you want to include shoplifters? :dunno:

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

They said we'd go back to tiers, nothing was mentioned about 'strengthing tiers', which will more than likely mean that Tier 3 or whatever it'll be will pretty much be the same as a national lockdown.

School holidays aren't until after mid December, 18th this year I believe, in Leicestershire anyway.

There were tonnes of articles stating SAGE had suggested we'd see a surge in cases without tougher tiers in place? It was suggested this would happen and it shouldn't be a shock to anyone. 

Regarding schools, a group are shutting earlier to allow for this. I'd suggest this may become popular. Link here

I am not a fan of this. You just know the infection rates are going to spiral, that people will come out of the relaxation period with a different mentality where they are more likely to break the rules, and we are going to have weeks and weeks of tougher measures to follow. What about people who don’t normally celebrate Christmas well? Where was the recognition for any religious holidays they missed? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

So what is going to change then? Gyms and shops opening up again in Tier 1 and 2 areas?

At a guess I'd assume they'll limit specifics opening more tightly than the general closures we saw last time. I can see gyms and shops opening but with restrictions on people in at a time. 

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

There were tonnes of articles stating SAGE had suggested we'd see a surge in cases without tougher tiers in place? It was suggested this would happen and it shouldn't be a shock to anyone. 

Regarding schools, a group are shutting earlier to allow for this. I'd suggest this may become popular. Link here

When you have Rishi banging on about lockdown ending on 2nd December as it's been written into 'law', to then being told we're getting tougher tiered restrictions, so likely all the Tier 3 places won't have hardly anything change. We'll see what they announce Monday, but so far this Government has been an absolute shambles, genuinely ashamed to say I voted for them.

If that's going to happen (I doubt it will in Leicester) then they'd better get a move on, they shut anyway in under 4 weeks.

7 minutes ago, Corky said:

So what is going to change then? Gyms and shops opening up again in Tier 1 and 2 areas?

11pm curfew in restaurants and bars. Drinks served til 10pm but you can stay in til 11pm.

Has there been any leak about what hotels are doing? 

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

When you have Rishi banging on about lockdown ending on 2nd December as it's been written into 'law', to then being told we're getting tougher tiered restrictions, so likely all the Tier 3 places won't have hardly anything change. We'll see what they announce Monday, but so far this Government has been an absolute shambles, genuinely ashamed to say I voted for them.

If that's going to happen (I doubt it will in Leicester) then they'd better get a move on, they shut anyway in under 4 weeks.

Rishi is clever in distracting everyone by telling people what they wanted to hear, whilst not ruling out the continuation of tiered restrictions which were suggested prior to this lockdown. 

• Like 1

Does anyone share my concern that the huge daily death toll is happening despite several mitigating factors, including exceptionally mild autumnal weather, all the restrictions that have been imposed and observed well by most people throughout the pandemic, and the improved levels of treatment provided by the NHS since the spring? 

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Rishi is clever in distracting everyone by telling people what they wanted to hear, whilst not ruling out the continuation of tiered restrictions which were suggested prior to this lockdown. 

Quite - playing to the media pleas.

”Let us free for Christmas” etc.

Almost as if nothing else matters.

3 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Quite - playing to the media pleas.

”Let us free for Christmas” etc.

Almost as if nothing else matters.

There has been a shift in what has been said and how it's been portrayed to the public. 

We had high levels of people abiding by the lockdown in March, however as we've gone through summer and to now we saw increasing numbers breaking the rules. By harnessing people's desire for "a normal" Christmas, they manage to build that supoort by promising there wouldnt be a lockdown post December 2nd, so people have that goal. 

But they're clever in suggesting there would be stronger tier restrictions whilst hiding it behind the news people wanted. 

• Like 1

My mum who works as a social worker for children outpatients with mental health issues for NHS have been told that her team will be trained for administering vaccines.   My mum used to work as a nurse way back in 1980s so she have some experience in that area but her team would be made up of other multi-disciplinary colleagues who do not necessary have same previous experience.  

Looks like the vaccines would be pre-packed-  either that or the restrictions on who can pre-mix the vaccine parts would be relaxed as someone pointed out few pages back.

42 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Does anyone share my concern that the huge daily death toll is happening despite several mitigating factors, including exceptionally mild autumnal weather, all the restrictions that have been imposed and observed well by most people throughout the pandemic, and the improved levels of treatment provided by the NHS since the spring? 

No exceptionally mils autumn weather in the North of England.  It's been chucking it down all week, and for most of the past few weeks too.

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Eye opening.

Wonder how typical this is of those that voted conservative in the last election.

As an anti-tory voter it fills me with some hope that a poster that felt the government could do no wrong before all of this is now 'ashamed'. 

Maybe I'm being too hopeful. Seen plenty still sticking to their 'side'.

Hats off to you for being humble enough to move your position based on what is unfolding in front of you. Too many turn a blind eye and 'support' their 'team'. 

This isn't football, folks.

• Like 2