Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Kingleicester said:

Utter embarrassment coming from Leicester this is, most places cases are going down, let’s go to Leicester we’re there actually rising wtf is up with the twats

Actually most of Leicestershire is going up as well as many other parts of the country.  Even though I have followed the rules, I think they are a joke, people blaming others for not following rather than the rules themselves.

Its funny how the numbers went down in summer when education was closed, were people suddenly behaving themselves then? or was it dare I say it because the main spread vectors were closed off.  Leicester also has 2 universities, and is one of the poorest cities in the country, there is links between level of poverty and spread rates, we have horrific housing shortages as well as a heavy amount of on site jobs.

Ultimately the issue with Leicester (and other areas with similar struggles) is failed policies.  The government's plan simply hasnt worked here.  All i hear from them is they want to go to more of the same on 2 dec.  Still waiting for them to do what is needed, which is hard enforcement on business's that dont comply, and to sort out the spread in education.  Instead of nonsense about someone popping round for a cup of coffee to a friend/family house.

If you think I am talking nonsense I am using scientific data, that data based on months of data collecting shows where the spread vectors are.

Early on the government was following the science albeit acting very late but at least following.

Now they ignoring it more, because they want to stay popular with the voters, and the policies since July have been aweful.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I’m confused now. This suggests otherwise. I did see the tweet by LCC saying cases are on the rise which is why I am confused! 

AB8FD1FF-439A-4D20-B093-DD77458F54DD.jpeg

3C5A2540-7C3C-4A98-A570-D178CEC7E4D5.jpeg

Hopefully this is sustained, 4 days of data is nothing to see momentum. 

The problem is, I can see national lockdown been lifted on 2 dec which is way too early, and then compliance will plummet back under local lockdown rules.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

That would be stupid, it is the uk way historically to only treat the extreme only though, but hopefully they see sense and at the very least offer it to anyone who wants it.

11 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

That would be stupid, it is the uk way historically to only treat the extreme only though, but hopefully they see sense and at the very least offer it to anyone who wants it.

It does say as an interim guide though, in a years time i'd expect everyone to have been vaccinated.

12 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I presume anyone under 50 who is deemed vulnerable will get the vaccine?

Yes; I think that’s been confirmed.

I don’t think it’s been confirmed what’ll happen to non-vulnerable people aged 18-50, and I wouldn’t stake any money on it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if eventually the Oxford vaccine was rolled out to everyone in that category who wants it given its apparent (relative) ease of logistics and the lingering threat of Long Covid.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Yes; I think that’s been confirmed.

I don’t think it’s been confirmed what’ll happen to non-vulnerable people aged 18-50, and I wouldn’t stake any money on it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if eventually the Oxford vaccine was rolled out to everyone in that category who wants it given its apparent (relative) ease of logistics and the lingering threat of Long Covid.

Yeah I was thinking the long covid threat in the healthy is surely a reason to vaccinate as many people as possible.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Actually most of Leicestershire is going up as well as many other parts of the country.  Even though I have followed the rules, I think they are a joke, people blaming others for not following rather than the rules themselves.

Its funny how the numbers went down in summer when education was closed, were people suddenly behaving themselves then? or was it dare I say it because the main spread vectors were closed off.  Leicester also has 2 universities, and is one of the poorest cities in the country, there is links between level of poverty and spread rates, we have horrific housing shortages as well as a heavy amount of on site jobs.

Ultimately the issue with Leicester (and other areas with similar struggles) is failed policies.  The government's plan simply hasnt worked here.  All i hear from them is they want to go to more of the same on 2 dec.  Still waiting for them to do what is needed, which is hard enforcement on business's that dont comply, and to sort out the spread in education.  Instead of nonsense about someone popping round for a cup of coffee to a friend/family house.

If you think I am talking nonsense I am using scientific data, that data based on months of data collecting shows where the spread vectors are.

Early on the government was following the science albeit acting very late but at least following.

Now they ignoring it more, because they want to stay popular with the voters, and the policies since July have been aweful.

Good post. 

1 hour ago, Buce said:

I made no such demand. But don't expect me clap as they get rich and the poorer nations go without.

I would hope to see future decisions based on a sense of altruism and mutual benefit, but I expect that concept is beyond your comprehension.

No need for that mate, I am not stupid, just realistic.  Big Pharma have never and will never make major investment decision on the basis of altruism.  Nor should they really, that is not their job.

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

No need for that mate, I am not stupid, just realistic.  Big Pharma have never and will never make major investment decision on the basis of altruism.  Nor should they really, that is not their job.

You're right, I apologise.

It just irked me that you think they deserve the same level of respect we gave to frontline workers.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

I quite like the idea that those in the new tier 3 will get the same mass testing as Liverpool to get tier 3 regions back down to tier 2 as quickly as possible. The rates seems to have fallen dramatically in Liverpool as a result of mass testing picking up a host of asymptomatic cases that may never have been captured.

Edited by Nalis

So from what I can gather, the Oxford vaccine has 62% efficacy when two full doses are administered.

The talk of 90% is based on the half then full dose approach, which by itself has a very small comparative sample.

Surely this will need to be researched further and more trials carried out. I would imagine this would cause a delay for all those extra trials to be administered?

I (perhaps naively) couldn’t help but feel disappointed waking up to this news, even considering the practical advantages of this specific vaccine. Presumably it also means those not wanting to accept the vaccine can do even more damage in the quest for herd immunity, what with the vaccine working on less people?

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I quite like the idea that those in the new tier 3 will get the same mass testing as Liverpool to get tier 3 regions back down to tier 2 as quickly as possible. The rates seems to have fallen dramatically in Liverpool as a result of mass testing picking up a host of asymptomatic cases that may never have been captured.

We were the first city to stay in a lockdown, during this lockdown there have actually been more cases, were other places have fallen it’s still on the up here, I have absolutely no faith with the people of Leicester!

• Like 1

Just now, Kingleicester said:

We were the first city to stay in a lockdown, during this lockdown there have actually been more cases, were other places have fallen it’s still on the up here, I have absolutely no faith with the people of Leicester!

I dont live in Leicester so I'm not as qualified to comment but the mentality of people might change if they know they have it and need to self isolate.

20 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

So from what I can gather, the Oxford vaccine has 62% efficacy when two full doses are administered.

The talk of 90% is based on the half then full dose approach, which by itself has a very small comparative sample.

Surely this will need to be researched further and more trials carried out. I would imagine this would cause a delay for all those extra trials to be administered?

I (perhaps naively) couldn’t help but feel disappointed waking up to this news, even considering the practical advantages of this specific vaccine. Presumably it also means those not wanting to accept the vaccine can do even more damage in the quest for herd immunity, what with the vaccine working on less people?

I think they’ll need to review whether there are any extra circumstances around why the half-then-full group had fewer cases. And, if they find no particular differences in the behaviour and circumstances of this group compared to the double-full group, they’ll need to study the stats with proper confidence bands to see whether they’re within natural variation. It is possible that they’re onto something here, or possibly not. Best to wait for peer-review to properly pull everything apart. One good thing I’d suggest is that (I believe) they should be able to use the results from both groups to ascertain safety, which is a massive hurdle in itself. And they can always potentially go with half-then-full rollout as standard anyway. 70% effectiveness is still positive.

As for whether it’ll require more people to take it up, that could easily end up being a big battle itself in the months to come. I hope people from across the political spectrum and society come together in that time to help with this because the message needs to reach everyone.