Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

34 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Of course, but everyone is depressed about something. I haven't seen my parents properly since March. I've sat in their garden a handful of times. My Mum gets the worst anxiety about this whole situation, made worse by the scaremongering of the government but thats another story. I'm sure there are people with a lot worse situations than me too, but tbh, I'd rather sit outside and enjoy the company over Christmas, than have to visit them, dying in a hospital bed, no matter how small the chance.

Exactly.  And depression isn't a good thing.  And more widely of course, there is dementia - close to a million people, they reckon, living with dementia, people whose only treatment is to remain active, to get out of the house, to meet friends and family, to be sociable.  The government feels like you that anything, literally anything, is better than dying of coronavirus - but it's not true.  Dying of dementia, alone and frightened, after seeing no-one for 9 months, is worse than dying of cornavirus, alone and frightened, after a relatively happy last 6 months.

If your parent;s chances of getting pneumonia in the garden are lower than their chances of getting coronavirus in the house, then fine, go for it.  For many pensioners, especially the oldest, that isn't the case.

Edited by dsr-burnley

Are there really people who haven’t seen their parents or grandparents for 9 months etc  ?

In the summer there was nothing to stop you meeting outside social distancing once the lockdown ended unless there was no way of doing that or you choose not to?

Are we talking about not being allowed in care homes which seems to have been a real disaster zone sadly.

28 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Are there really people who haven’t seen their parents or grandparents for 9 months etc  ?

In the summer there was nothing to stop you meeting outside social distancing once the lockdown ended unless there was no way of doing that or you choose not to?

Are we talking about not being allowed in care homes which seems to have been a real disaster zone sadly.

Depends if parents live in the same part of the country as you, the travelling part probably gave people tough decisions. We've live hundreds of miles from my folks and the missus' folks but we visited hers during the summer and not mine as mine are a little older. Kind of wish I had done during the summer but I guess the next time I see them will be post vaccine (for them at least) when I'll be happy enough to visit them even if I havent been vaccinated by that stage.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 2

Crazy ambitious, but this is incredible news if true. Good Friday is 2nd April next year, feels like we could well be pretty much back to normal by then (barring maybe large crowds for a bit) if so and can use the bank holiday weekend to celebrate with our families.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-55013064

Everyone in the UK who wants to receive a coronavirus vaccine could get one before the end of April 2021 if supplies are sufficient, according to a report of a leaked NHS plan on how to roll-out jabs.

The Health Service Journal (HSJ)  says it has seen documents that shows the government is planning a huge immunisation programme across GP-run facilities, roving vaccine teams and “mass vaccination sites”.

However, the plan relies on several assumptions, such as that only 75% of adults will accept the offer of a vaccine, and that seven million doses of the vaccine will be available in December.

And don't get too excited just yet - the Covid vaccines that have shown promising initial results in recent weeks have a long way to go before they become widely available.

The HSJ says the plan it has seen lays out the priority groups for receiving the vaccine, and the dates they'll be offered it:

Beginning of December: Healthcare workers, care home residents and care home staff
Mid-December: People aged 80 or over
Late December: Those aged 70 to 80
Early January: Everyone aged 65 to 70, as well as all high and moderate risk under 65s
Mid-January: Everyone aged 50 to 65
Late January: Everyone else over the age of 18 (but most of this group would be vaccinated during March, the report says)

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Crazy ambitious, but this is incredible news if true. Good Friday is 2nd April next year, feels like we could well be pretty much back to normal by then (barring maybe large crowds for a bit) if so and can use the bank holiday weekend to celebrate with our families.

Everyone in the UK who wants to receive a coronavirus vaccine could get one before the end of April 2021 if supplies are sufficient, according to a report of a leaked NHS plan on how to roll-out jabs.

The Health Service Journal (HSJ)  says it has seen documents that shows the government is planning a huge immunisation programme across GP-run facilities, roving vaccine teams and “mass vaccination sites”.

However, the plan relies on several assumptions, such as that only 75% of adults will accept the offer of a vaccine, and that seven million doses of the vaccine will be available in December.

And don't get too excited just yet - the Covid vaccines that have shown promising initial results in recent weeks have a long way to go before they become widely available.

The HSJ says the plan it has seen lays out the priority groups for receiving the vaccine, and the dates they'll be offered it:

Beginning of December: Healthcare workers, care home residents and care home staff
Early January: Everyone aged 65 to 70, as well as all high and moderate risk under 65s
Late January: Everyone else over the age of 18 (but most of this group would be vaccinated during March, the report says)

Between the extra dosh saved from cancelling everything this year and realising that every year is a gift next year is gonna be an absolute ****ing blast. I'm so flipping ready.

COME ON VACCINE, SAVE US FROM THIS ETERNAL BORDOM! :yahoo:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I'd have thought that under 18's would have been high on the list considering they are mainly the ones at school and therefore at quite a high risk of spreading it and taking it home to their parents.

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'd have thought that under 18's would have been high on the list considering they are mainly the ones at school and therefore at quite a high risk of spreading it and taking it home to their parents.

They don't suffer from the bad symptoms really though. If the vaccine makes covid a much more benign disease then I guess the priority should be vaccinating those it affects first rather than trying to stop the spread of it first and foremost.

Edited by Sampson

10 hours ago, Buce said:

And so it begins:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/20/rishi-sunak-warned-not-to-freeze-public-sector-pay-in-mini-budget

Anyone who is in any doubt about who is going to pay for the economy tanking, let me give you a clue: it won't be the the rich.

With the Brexit shitshow still to come, a continuation of austerity is guaranteed.

Sort of understand because at least we have a job secured (or more secure than the private sector anyway), that's the main thing. However it's a bit annoying that we've worked everyday since the lockdown, only having days off for annual leave yet there's probably no reward for it. I wouldn't mind getting other stuff though, free travel (so many train or bus fares) or vouchers for something (God knows what) would be decent, if we don't get any form of payrise that is.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Based on the success of Track and Trace and Operation Moonshot, I'd say this is in the bag.

Edited by ealingfox
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Based on the success of Track and Trace and Operation Moonshot, I'd say this is in the bag.

Difference is the NHS is doing ALL of the vaccination stuff with considerable assistance from HM Forces. We are missing the "support and assistance" from our private sector colleagues.  I predict it'll go quite well, a bit like flu vaccinations do erm... every winter.

• Like 1

How crap is it that this has turned into an us versus them debate, when we really need a nationally coordinated response.

Apparently the bbc and 'MSM' just peddle the sage scientists and their incorrect models, and talkradio and the corners of YouTube say we already have immunity to it (about 6 min into that video above) without showing any data to back it up.

Edit: for instance, the immunity we have to other coronavirus overlaps with covid19, so we can fight covid 19 off even on the first infection. Evidence?

Edited by Fktf

I would love to believe we would have a vaccine widely available by 2nd April but when it's being co-ordinated at the helm of this government, I'm really not getting my hopes up. Obviously if it happens I'll be delighted, but they've got so much wrong (or 'possibly not wrong' :giggle:) so far that I just cannot believe that that will happen.

'World-beating test and trace system' is just one of things to start with that they forecasted horribly wrongly.

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It can be a biochemical engineer in Ivor Cummins, or an expert in a relatively closer field, but the weeks go by and the data continues to show that lockdown is essentially ineffective.

The mere fact that there is a lockdown means you can’t have the argument because you can’t prove what didn’t happen ....

we saw that without a lockdown the R rate increased and obvs, cases and then deaths ........ we see with a lockdown that cases have stagnated and the R rate has begun to slip back.  

the govt have a much easier job to argue their side than the opposite camp .....

• Like 1

Saw this on another forum regarding potential plans to roll out the vaccine.

No idea how much truth there is though.

"The draft plans, seen by Health Service Journal, say that the “bulk” of vaccines of the last group are likely to occur in March, meaning that almost the whole population should have been offered jabs by Easter.

The dates pencilled in for beginning each group are:

Care home residents and staff, healthcare workers - from beginning of December

Ages 80 plus - from mid-December

Everyone aged 70-80 - from late December

Everyone aged 65-70 - from early January

All high and moderate risk under 65s - from early January

Everyone aged 50-65 - from mid January

Everyone aged 18-50 - from late January, but with the bulk of this group vaccinated during March

The plan would see 88.5 million vaccination doses delivered across England, with two doses per person over the age of 18, by the end of April."

28 minutes ago, Super_horns said:
Saw this on another forum regarding potential plans to roll out the vaccine.

No idea how much truth there is though.

"The draft plans, seen by Health Service Journal, say that the “bulk” of vaccines of the last group are likely to occur in March, meaning that almost the whole population should have been offered jabs by Easter.

The dates pencilled in for beginning each group are:

Care home residents and staff, healthcare workers - from beginning of December

Ages 80 plus - from mid-December

Everyone aged 70-80 - from late December

Everyone aged 65-70 - from early January

All high and moderate risk under 65s - from early January

Everyone aged 50-65 - from mid January

Everyone aged 18-50 - from late January, but with the bulk of this group vaccinated during March

The plan would see 88.5 million vaccination doses delivered across England, with two doses per person over the age of 18, by the end of April."

As 99% of the deaths are the over 80s then by christmas we should be home & dry.

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Except the two doses have to be taken three weeks apart min and it’s then 14 days after that before the person is protected .....

I wonder if the Oxford vaccine is quicker to take effect ?

Vaccines won't chance the course of this winter, you're right 

Edited by Fktf

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

It’s unclear (at least to me) whether the vaccines will actually stop the spread of the virus or just prevent the illness. Rollout plans might be very different depending on this.