Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Yeah that's it, we're having to currently assume that student labs will begin again in February. We've been told similar things, so I'm hoping for clarification.

Doesn't hugely impact me, as I start my new job in a covid lab in a month so this will impact me for the next couple of weeks. But I'm wanting to get as much organised for whoever is unlucky enough to be given my practical load.

Oh I didn't know that, congrats! Hopefully closer to home? 

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

Definitely - I hope I never forget how it felt to be an ECR to ensure that I don't treat anyone in the way I was treated. I am mentoring an ECR at the moment and the last zoom I had with her she was in tears at the end about her situation :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear that. Is she undertaking a research fellowship or is she a member of the research staff? 

Just now, Line-X said:

I'm so sorry to hear that. Is she undertaking a research fellowship or is she a member of the research staff? 

Member of research staff on a secondment, so it's her first experience of paid research work. I think she's taking on far too much responsibility on herself to be honest, whilst the PI doesn't seem to really care that things are delivered in time, and then she's trying to work with a project manager who seemingly hates academics. It all sounds quite toxic.   

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

I was worse with the announcement last week. I was really low and had arguments with family and friends ranting and venting at them.

I fail to see what has really changed apart from schools closing after last nights. I don’t get the fuss people are making around this what they are calling ‘lockdown’.

Apart from there needs to be stricter, stronger action - the fuss about the none-lockdown itself though? I don’t get, what’s really changed?

Nothing will change and we’ll be sat here in mid Feb when nothing has changed or in a worse position.

We get it, you think this isn't a lockdown and not much has changed! Surely this doesn't need to be mentioned in every single post?! 

As for nothing will change - I disagree. Vaccines being rolled out should make a difference. We didn't have that in the past periods of lockdowns (yes, it's not the same type, I know) but there are still similar tough restrictions. I may not agree with government being able to achieve 2m vaccines per week, but I think it'll be a huge difference, hopefully positive, that the vaccine(s) are available and should show a good impact in 5-6 weeks time. 

If we're in a worse or no better position by mid-Feb, I'd be significantly worried as to how we overcome this virus... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Oh I didn't know that, congrats! Hopefully closer to home? 

Much easier to get too as well! Nerve wracking but also quite exciting. 

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

I was worse with the announcement last week. I was really low and had arguments with family and friends ranting and venting at them.

I've had similar with a few of my friends, we've all had different experiences, 2 being locked down and just at home since March and me having been wfh for a few months and then at work since. 

20 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yep. It's back to the constant battle over wi-fi bandwidth in our house. Me and the wife trying to do Zoom work calls and the kids trying to have on-line lessons.

It's a fvckin nightmare. 

Can any of you use ethernet ports at all. If so it'd probably provide a better balance if one or two of you can use it. I guess if you're all using some form of video streaming then it's gonna be pretty brutal. Other option would be to reduce the video quality :D

Half the problem is that we’ve all been told to stay at home unless it’s ‘essential’ but while B&Q, Garden Centres and National Trust places are still open, people will just nip out to the shops or for a day out.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Half the problem is that we’ve all been told to stay at home unless it’s ‘essential’ but while B&Q, Garden Centres and National Trust places are still open, people will just nip out to the shops or for a day out.

I don't get why garden centres stay open. I know it's not only old people but what's essential about them, in winter? 

National Trust I can tolerate because they are vast open spaces (all the indoor houses, tours etc are shut) so plenty of space to get around. 

I think this is the last major peak we will see, in my totally uneducated opinion.

I fully expect from 21st Dec - Jan 3rd. More people will have been nipping round to see friends and family and this will result in a surge that will see us peak in the next week or so.

Then it'll probably remain at a fairly high level for another 2 weeks. Then I'd expect this slightly stricter lock down to see a fairly big drop and then as more and more people are vaccinated we continue to see a drop in infections by early Feb. With a signifcant drop in deaths by late feb (hopefully for the last time).

This is based on nothing but guess work and the previous years experiences,  so if anyone wants to pull my prediction apart and provide me with more clarity of what may happen over the next 2/3 months I'll be glad to hear it :D

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

If we're in a worse or no better position by mid-Feb, I'd be significantly worried as to how we overcome this virus... 

Even in late February / early March last year, lots of people were expecting an awful winter 2020/21. We should have been much more prepared for this, both physically and psychologically. I expected spring 2021 would be when things started improving long term and I still believe that will happen. 

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

We get it, you think this isn't a lockdown and not much has changed! Surely this doesn't need to be mentioned in every single post?! 

As for nothing will change - I disagree. Vaccines being rolled out should make a difference. We didn't have that in the past periods of lockdowns (yes, it's not the same type, I know) but there are still similar tough restrictions. I may not agree with government being able to achieve 2m vaccines per week, but I think it'll be a huge difference, hopefully positive, that the vaccine(s) are available and should show a good impact in 5-6 weeks time. 

Maybe you get it. I’m not sure other do being in flap and blinded about this pathetic excuse of a lockdown.

As for being worried as to how we overcome it, might be abit late for that, certainly carrying on in the vain we are.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Can any of you use ethernet ports at all. If so it'd probably provide a better balance if one or two of you can use it. I guess if you're all using some form of video streaming then it's gonna be pretty brutal. Other option would be to reduce the video quality :D

Yeah we've got ethernet cables and booster boxes coming out of our arse but we're out in the sticks so Fibre isn't coming here anytime soon. The maximum speed in the village is 12mb download and 0.5mb upload but we rarely get anywhere near that. I've had to get a separate 4G box for important work calls but it eats data and is reliant on a decent phone signal which is also a bit hit and miss.

It's the kids fault really. They're on a Teams lesson on their PC's while simultaneously Facetiming their mates on the phone and watching YouTube on their tablet.

Twats. I blame the parents :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah we've got ethernet cables and booster boxes coming out of our arse but we're out in the sticks so Fibre isn't coming here anytime soon. The maximum speed in the village is 12mb download and 0.5mb upload but we rarely get anywhere near that. I've had to get a separate 4G box for important work calls but it eats data and is reliant on a decent phone signal which is also a bit hit and miss.

It's the kids fault really. They're on a Teams lesson on their PC's while simultaneously Facetiming their mates on the phone and watching YouTube on their tablet.

Ohhh yeah the 12mb is gonna be a killer.

Those "booster" boxes are rubbish, all they do is split your bandwidth. We had one for our house as the wifi struggled to reach a couple of rooms upstairs. As soon as I turned it on I couldn't even make a call on teams without it cutting out. As soon as i turned it off, everything improved again

Haha yeah, if you've got more than 2 or 3 simultaneous streaming acitivites on that speed though you're always gonna be struggling. That's about as far as my knowledge and advice stretches I'm afraid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tom27111 said:

You are aware that even though you will have natural antibodies, you can still carry the virus and pass it on to other people, putting them in danger?

What makes you so special that rules don't apply to you?

Is it OK if I drink 10 beers then go out driving because I still want to do stuff?

The point of having antibodies is that they kill the virus.  You take in as much virus as anyone who has no antibodies, but because your antibodies are ready for action, they kill the virus cells or else stop them taking hold and multiplying.  Therefore someone who has had the disease is unlikely to spread it, because they don't have enough of it to spread.

It's not OK to drink 10 pints of beer and then go out driving.  If you drink 10 pints of non-alcoholic beer, however, then it is OK.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Mine are exactly the same :)

I was going to suggest a mobile Wi-Fi box, we had an unlimited data one from Vodafone for when we took the caravan down to Bournemouth and worked from there for the summer. It was great, and about £25 a month I think. But it worked on the 4G, so if your signal isn't great it wouldn't be any help, sorry. Pointless post, I realise that. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Mine are exactly the same :)

I was going to suggest a mobile Wi-Fi box, we had an unlimited data one from Vodafone for when we took the caravan down to Bournemouth and worked from there for the summer. It was great, and about £25 a month I think. But it worked on the 4G, so if your signal isn't great it wouldn't be any help, sorry. Pointless post, I realise that. 

That's an amazing deal and I'm obviously getting screwed paying £40 a month from EE for 200GB. As soon as I go over that allowance it's another £30 for an extra 100GB so it works out expensive ON TOP of £30 a month for our standard broadband. You're right that it does rely on the phone signal and sometimes when the weather is crap the signal drops out so it's not very reliable.

All in all it's a pain in the ass. When we move house next, having Fibre broadband available will be our number 1 necessity I reckon. 

Off topic but the internet infrastructure in this country is poor, it's come a long way in the past few years but we're miles behind some other modern countries around the world. Only getting 12MB is so poor, unbelievable that some places still struggle to get 2MB.

Railways are pretty poor too, but again, they've come a long way in places in the last few years.

2 hours ago, Benguin said:

You are definitely right about the scales. The rules though are the rules and any break, irregardless of severity, will contribute to the spread. I don’t have the right to tell anyone to not break the rules but I don’t think anyone who breaks the rules has the right to point the finger at anyone for this mess without first holding a mirror up to themselves. 

The point is the rules are not fair.  They can't be fair.  

For example, little jimmy's parents are divorced.  Every other weekend he travels about the country to see his father, and his father's new family, and his father's step family, and then he goes home for the next weekend to see his stepfather's children by his first marriage who are also travelling about the country.  This is within the rules.

Little Johnny, meanwhile, only has a mother because his father died.  His grandfather lives round the corner and is desperately lonely and one day last week, Johnny's mother took him round to see Granddad.

Now, it's very easy to say Johnny's mother broke the rules and deserves to be named and shamed while Jimmy's mother is an upstanding woman has followed all the rules.  But can we honestly say that Johnny's mother has contributed ot the spread of coronavirus while Jimmy's mother has not?

Again - it's easy to say that your elderly parents with depression can just sit and home and die in misery, because going to see them will spread the virus.  That is. it's easy if you don't have elderly parents with depression.  I suspect it's a lot harder for people to turn their backs on their parents that way.

And again - two old ladies who live alone have had the habit of popping round for tea to each other's houses every night since their husbands died.  They can't form a legal bubble because one of them has a son who visits once a fortnight.  Obviously if they continue to visit each other they are breaking the rules - but are they seriously at risk of breaking the rules?

10 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

For example, little jimmy's parents are divorced.  Every other weekend he travels about the country to see his father, and his father's new family, and his father's step family, and then he goes home for the next weekend to see his stepfather's children by his first marriage who are also travelling about the country.  This is within the rules.

Little Johnny, meanwhile, only has a mother because his father died.  His grandfather lives round the corner and is desperately lonely and one day last week, Johnny's mother took him round to see Granddad.

Now, it's very easy to say Johnny's mother broke the rules and deserves to be named and shamed while Jimmy's mother is an upstanding woman has followed all the rules.  But can we honestly say that Johnny's mother has contributed ot the spread of coronavirus while Jimmy's mother has not?

Again - it's easy to say that your elderly parents with depression can just sit and home and die in misery, because going to see them will spread the virus.  That is. it's easy if you don't have elderly parents with depression.  I suspect it's a lot harder for people to turn their backs on their parents that way.

And again - two old ladies who live alone have had the habit of popping round for tea to each other's houses every night since their husbands died.  They can't form a legal bubble because one of them has a son who visits once a fortnight.  Obviously if they continue to visit each other they are breaking the rules - but are they seriously at risk of breaking the rules?

If they live alone they can still bubble with another household no? So potentially nobody in your scenario has done anything wrong? 

7 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The first scenario I've highlighted, why can't they form a bubble with the grandad?

The last one, why can't the women form a bubble and continue to see each other every night and forego the fortnightly visit from the son, if that is more important to them?

15 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

If they live alone they can still bubble with another household no? So potentially nobody in your scenario has done anything wrong? 

The only legal bubbles, so far as I know, are mutually exclusive and have a single person as at least one of the households.  You can't bubble with parents if they live together,  A couple can't bubble with both his mother and her mother even if both live alone.  A single person can't bubble with both a parent and a grown-up child.  An old person can't bubble with both his children.  It's very restrictive.