Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

That graph is from the ONS and not govt. it is arrived at by using many thousands of ‘volunteer families’ out there who are tested every week and the results are then extrapolated to give national estimates. Thus far this has proved more accurate than the actual govt data which cannot account for people who don’t get tested or are asymptomatic.

Fair enough, sounds legit.  However, here is the current data from govt:

Now as well as all regions increasing massively everywhere at the same time, two regions are now completely flat, including London.  It looks odd.  Worth keeping tabs on.  As a projection, I'd expect these figures to drop off once lockdown takes effect.  Whether or not that's due to lockdown is open to debate though.

11 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Then I didn't paint the scenarios painted clearly enough.  The point is that Jimmy with an extended family can see people from four households including at least 8 parents, stepparents, and uncles and aunts, from all round the country, legally,  If Johnny who has only three relatives, all living within 50 yards, sees them all, then he is breaking the rules; but it doesn't mean that Johnny is spreading the virus more than Jimmy.

How are Jimmy's family creating bubbles with all these other families? I understand that he is entitled to spend time with both parents, but you yourself said that bubbles can only be formed with single adult families, so surely he can't be allowed to see all these people? My husband has 2 children from his previous marriage, and if they come to see us they can't see anyone else as we can't form a bubble with anyone as we are a 2 adult household.  If Jimmy's parents have remarried, or are at least living with another adult, they cannot form a bubble so they will be the only households Jimmy can visit, no?

1 minute ago, Collymore said:

Chris Witty was talking about death so nonchalantly, I wouldn't want him in charge of my life support machine. 

He's right though.

We all take an element of risk when it comes to death in life.

If we lose 20k people year to regular flu, we can't contemplate having measures in place for covid if the numbers drop to this level or below due to vaccinations.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StanSP said:

And vaccinations numbers still stuck on 27th Dec... 

They're updated weekly on Thursdays for the data up to the previous Sunday.

Edit: Ah, someone beat me to it 🙂

Edited by Magictv
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

How are Jimmy's family creating bubbles with all these other families? I understand that he is entitled to spend time with both parents, but you yourself said that bubbles can only be formed with single adult families, so surely he can't be allowed to see all these people? My husband has 2 children from his previous marriage, and if they come to see us they can't see anyone else as we can't form a bubble with anyone as we are a 2 adult household.  If Jimmy's parents have remarried, or are at least living with another adult, they cannot form a bubble so they will be the only households Jimmy can visit, no?

Children who have existing shared custody arrangements are allowed to continue them, so Jimmy can visit his father and his father's new family, and his father's new wife's children may be visiting, and his own home with his mother, and his stepfather's new family can visit Jimmy.  Hence four households.  Nothing to do with bubbles.

24 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Fair enough, sounds legit.  However, here is the current data from govt:

Now as well as all regions increasing massively everywhere at the same time, two regions are now completely flat, including London.  It looks odd.  Worth keeping tabs on.  As a projection, I'd expect these figures to drop off once lockdown takes effect.  Whether or not that's due to lockdown is open to debate though.

According to the stats, London may have had 1 in 30 people with covid late December  ....not surprised if it begins to plateau! 

4 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Anyone else really struggling already?

Recently going through a break up and living on my own - I'm finding it tough to concentrate on work with the overwhelming uncertainty.

My mate is going through exactly the same thing ...  really really down ...   he rings me every day and we talk about how best to get through it.   No easy answer but using some positive thoughts to think about when dark thoughts start to overwhelm him.

• Sad 2

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Got a feeling the masks are here to stay every winter, think that'll be the restriction Whitty is talking about.

Asian countries do it a lot. I don't see what the issue with wearing them next winter is. Having spent a few years commuting by tube I'll be quite happy if it stays even after the pandemic. 

• Like 2

Just now, bovril said:

Asian countries do it a lot. I don't see what the issue with wearing them next winter is. Having spent a few years commuting by tube I'll be quite happy if it stays even after the pandemic. 

Yep,me too, keeps your face nice and warm 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Absolutely sickening.

Just now, bovril said:

I have no issue with it myself.

However those that said it'd happen at the start were told 'Shut up, it's only in a shop for a few minutes every week'.

That's if they do end up being made a permanent restriction.

Was it said that'll we'll need a vaccine every year as well? I missed the press conference but I am trying to find the information online atm.