Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

38 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I thought that schools had known for weeks that this was a possibility? I posted ages ago that I had been asked if my daughter could learn from home, and she was supplied with a laptop in November for just this eventuality? 

Your beloved Boris only said yesterday that he “actively encouraged” parents to send their children back to school, but today shuts them....... how can anyone second guess what he has planned? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

How many millions of kids went to school today? It's beyond belief they didn't announce this 3 or 3 days ago. Leaves millions of parents in such a difficult position regarding the next few days. Shambles. 

Many schools had “teacher days” today. 

Same crap has been happening at universities too. We were told we must have face to face teaching, and the unis were always going to go along with this because it means income from student halls and food. Total shit show.

50 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Don't expect her to concede Boris is even slightly wrong. The mental gymnastics to defend him are almost impressive.

Didn't even need to scroll back through the thread to know who this was. That's just from the staunch defence of Boris during the early mistakes in this pandemic.

If anyone is defending him this far down the line and after such a catastrophic display of inept leadership on so many occasions then you know their point of view was never grounded in any sort of reason you can begin to try and interact with...

• Like 4

I think this is the first time I actually agree with a lockdown btw. The numbers here are just ridiculous and the NHS has the extra burden of COVID as well as normal winter illnesses. At least other places in the UK have been out of restrictions for a bit, even if it was only a few weeks in some places, we've been under them for almost a year now, it's just mental really.

Goodluck boys, I salute you!

12 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Same crap has been happening at universities too. We were told we must have face to face teaching, and the unis were always going to go along with this because it means income from student halls and food. Total shit show.

My year 1 tutor group will be gutted. They really want to be on campus, despite the madness. Switching completely online makes my life far easier though as I am not navigating two modes of teaching the same thing (will still be doing the same number of sessions though).

Surely if you were doing A Levels last year you'd have held off on uni until things are 'normal'? 

Easy for me to say but I wouldn't fancy paying £9k for remote learning.

That's before I even get on to the, erm, 'life experience'.

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

To be fair in being cynical I have probably done a disservice to him. It is very easy to say the right things when your opposition is under the cosh, but he has in his fairness always been quick to point out the shortcomings in the tories plans and offer reasonable suggestions. Like I mentioned on a previous reply, he has always been very good when addressing the house regarding the decisions made by his opponents, and often eloquently analyses them. His time with the CPS certainly means he will have that analytical and potentially logical approach to his responses. 

My comments were more tongue in cheek and flippant off the back of another U-turn in the “oops we’ve done it again” tour featuring the tories...  

But Bozz isn’t half making it easy for him. 

Fair enough. 

On that last point though, and this is in general to anyone mentioning Johnson's shortcomings, not just yourself - that isn't Starmer's fault and I'd rather have him pounce on whatever Johnson does wrong as opposed to always sit in the shadows and not speak out when the time comes. Johnson being inept and making it easy isn't a stick to beat Starmer with. 

• Like 2

If schools are closing due to risk of spreading, why don't children have to wear face mask when out in public?

I guess its the same government and health officials who encouraged the country to get out and about for discount meals not too long ago. 

The government have blood on their hands and can shove the new lock down up their arse .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Don't expect her to concede Boris is even slightly wrong. The mental gymnastics to defend him are almost impressive.

Unreal isn't it? 

Why has politics become a 'defends my side even in the face of overwhelming failure' style affair? 

****ing hell. The bloke has stuffed it up. That's not a bad thing to admit. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, rachhere said:

My year 1 tutor group will be gutted. They really want to be on campus, despite the madness. Switching completely online makes my life far easier though as I am not navigating two modes of teaching the same thing (will still be doing the same number of sessions though).

Yup. We've essentially been planning every session for both modes, which would be completely unnecessary if there was any leadership.

7 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

Wonder what the rules will be on couples seeing each other than don't live in the same household? Last lockdown they weren't allowed to see each other, right?

Ex-couples with a child can carry on zipping up and down the country as before, as long as they take the child with them.  At least, they have been able to all along.  I don't know how much that contributes to the spread of the new variant.

49 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Surely if you were doing A Levels last year you'd have held off on uni until things are 'normal'? 

Easy for me to say but I wouldn't fancy paying £9k for remote learning.

That's before I even get on to the, erm, 'life experience'.

Staggers me that more didnt hold off going for a year. Although I think they were sold somethkng of a lie in that they were told it would be a blended approach, where big lectures would be online, but all the smaller classes would still be face to face.

7 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

This has to be the last lockdown surely, in its strictest form? It's not sustainable to have to close and open everything over and over again. I'm lucky that so far my life has been inconvenienced, rather than affected by lockdowns but even I've had enough of it. Lack of preparation from the government and/or NHS bosses for this period has been astonishing. 

I have sympathy in the sense that handling a country like ours through a pandemic is not easy, you have people shouting at you whatever you do. But continuously delaying the inevitable is pissing everybody off. I don't really put this down to a labour or conservative situation, it's just that Boris Johnson is a ****ing idiot, and is not someone needed in a crisis. I'll hold my hands up, I voted conservative in the last election, not necessarily for Boris but because I felt the referendum result should stand in some form and it was the only real option. Short sighted yes, but unfortunately a pandemic has but whilst Boris is in charge. 

Table service in pubs felt ridiculous, but it's going to feel like a ****ing luxury lol

what is the inevitable?

11 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-africa-55531838

South African variant may ‘weaken the impact of the vaccine’.

🙃

Reading the article, it seems to me to be saying that there is no evidence that the SA variant will be affected by the vaccine any differently from the others, and preliminary tests suggest the vaccine would still work.  Presumably the journalist thought that getting more clicks was more important than presenting a balanced story.  Or perhaps his editor changed the story for the same reason.

• Like 4

It's worth reflecting on the 'lockdown' imposed in Spring 2020.  The restrictions announced yesterday are not more severe.  The R number was reduced to 0.7 - 0.9 last Spring, which resulted in falling numbers of infections; however the new variant is more transmissible, which may increase the R rate by approximately 0.7.  So if the new restrictions are as effective as those previously applied, the R rate will still be in the region of 1.4 - 1.6, which will result in a continued significant increase in infections.  We should expect a worsening situation until such time as the vaccination programme has covered the sections of society most likely to be hospitalised as a result of Covid-19 infection.  Hopefully this will be before the NHS is overwhelmed but right now I'm concerned that this crisis will only deepen over the next month or two.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Nope. We've just got used to this government changing things late on so people are working their bollocks off trying to cover all bases. We're actively planning for a U-turn with every announcement which is exhausting and totally unsustainable.

I am a senior leader in a school and I spent the back end of my holiday and all of today organising the testing due to start this week for our sixth form because that's what we were told would happen last week. Hey presto, all that work down the drain and a total ****ing waste of my time and resources.

Knowing the government are probably going to move the goalposts is not helpful because you can't gamble on not doing all the prep, even when you know all the work you're putting in is likely to be in vain. It's an absolute piss-take.

Feel so sorry for NHS workers, the frustration and piss-taking we have to endure is a fraction of what they must be experiencing.

I wonder if some schools have been treated differently then? The school told us that they had received money from the government to ensure all pupils could work remotely if needed, and this was ages ago

14 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I wonder if some schools have been treated differently then? The school told us that they had received money from the government to ensure all pupils could work remotely if needed, and this was ages ago

Did you read what he said? Its not about providing money and equipment, its about the planning. They've planned for one thing, knowing things could change in the future, only for things to change at the drop of a hat and put all that planning to waste. Again something that could have been decided over a week ago, but was left until the day before the schools went back.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think this is the first time I actually agree with a lockdown btw. The numbers here are just ridiculous and the NHS has the extra burden of COVID as well as normal winter illnesses. At least other places in the UK have been out of restrictions for a bit, even if it was only a few weeks in some places, we've been under them for almost a year now, it's just mental really.

Goodluck boys, I salute you!

Nadhim is my local MP, he’s useless.

He’s right to pray.

24 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

This was shared on a spotted loughborough group on Facebook. This school is completely closed tomorrow, no children in or online because of the last minute change, they need to time to sort things out.

FB_IMG_1609829993449.thumb.jpg.4089596dab0f85dca8ed9721501d5866.jpg