Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

It is easier as they get older.  My 7 year old would watch some twat on Youtube play minecraft all day given half a chance.

I'm hiding upstairs anyway whilst the missus tries to look after an 11 week old and get the lad to do some biff and chip. Thankfully my line of work ought to have me approved as a key worker (the organisation chose not to class themselves as key workers back in the March lockdown but now they are having to reconsider) and he can go in to school tomorrow, otherwise it would be pretty rough. 

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

It’s been bollocks - the SAGE report on the new variant published on 22nd December shown significant increase in school environments. They have finally taken that advice 

So essentially children catch it and spread it but very, very few show many symptoms. I wonder what schools policies have been for family members with symptoms, have the children been kept off to isolate as well or allowed in. Seems odd that my son's school seemingly had very few children or staff off at any given time.

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

It is because you cannot work from home with pre school age children to entertain.  Groups are also smaller than school classes, and don't mix at play time etc.  Much smaller bubbles.

All true, and I've sent mine into nursery today for that very reason. I do feel a bit sorry for childcare staff though. However they've managed it pretty well so far, one two week isolation period due to a staff member testing positive but as far as I'm aware no children or family members went on to test positive so their protocols work. Upto 20 children in the classroom part so more children than you might think. 

Just now, Ric Flair said:

So essentially children catch it and spread it but very, very few show many symptoms. I wonder what schools policies have been for family members with symptoms, have the children been kept off to isolate as well or allowed in. Seems odd that my son's school seemingly had very few children or staff off at any given time.

Bingo. Hence the original approach was to test everyone in a similar manner to Liverpool working the rate down. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That's what happened in my experience, one family the child who brought it back from school recovered fully in a day leaving his mum and dad in bed for a week with the worse flu they have ever felt apparently!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

Meaning that you intend to flout it? 

I tested positive for Covid on the 22nd December so spent Christmas in isolation, as did my partner and child who also contracted it.

The plan was to see family once we are out of isolation so that we can enjoy family time / exchange gifts.

I am not showing a total disregard, if I was, I would have been out and about during my 10 days isolation period.

Every one has a tolerance with the government's incompetence, I've reached mine. 

Edited by adejo92

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

Congratulations. You must be very proud. 

I've edited my comment to add a bit more context.

Im not proud, nor do I want congratulating (albeit thank you)

I'm not out throwing parties. I'm seeing family to get enjoyment out of life.

After all, is it still the case that it only comes out after 11?

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes I did. As I said previously though, SWHS have had plans for this in place for months, so rightly or wrongly I assumed that other schools would have had also. I'm pretty sure SWHS doesn't have any more foresight than any other school. As far as I understood it, schools remaining open has always been a priority, and closing them a complete last resort. Presumably the decision was finally taken yesterday once the alert level was increased to 5, idk.

Regarding your point about conceding anything 'Boris' does is wrong, if you remember I have done that before, and was ridiculed for it. Of course I don't believe everything the government has done throughout the last year has been perfect, there are many things which I wish had been handled differently. But I do think that you have to work with what you've got, and I certainly don't think they are going out their way to get things wrong on purpose as has been suggested many times (not by you). At the last election we didn't have much of a choice in my view, next time may be different depending on how KS fares. And for what it's worth, I think one of the government's biggest failings throughout this was refusing cross party collaboration, why you wouldn't take that up in times like these I really don't know. 

All school will know of the possibility of closure, they will have contingency plans for it. The problem is that they have been told about this at 8pm at night the day before intended closure, when nothing has changed so dramatically that that decision couldn't have been taken much earlier.

I think you confusing being aware of the possibility and having a plan, with actually being given time to act on the plan you have in place.

Edited by Facecloth

12 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

I tested positive for Covid on the 22nd December so spent Christmas in isolation, as did my partner and child who also contracted it.

The plan was to see family once we are out of isolation so that we can enjoy family time / exchange gifts.

I am not showing a total disregard, if I was, I would have been out and about during my 10 days isolation period.

Every one has a tolerance with the government's incompetence, I've reached mine. 

You are aware that even though you will have natural antibodies, you can still carry the virus and pass it on to other people, putting them in danger?

What makes you so special that rules don't apply to you?

Is it OK if I drink 10 beers then go out driving because I still want to do stuff?

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

To be fair, this is very much the direction that many 'Modern Universities' have been heading in well before the outbreak of the pandemic. 

To an extent. I can't think of any university that would not want students on campus. 

14 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

As many rightfully have, but preventing further spread of a highly infectious pandemic is not about ignoring restrictions based upon our perception of government failings I'm afraid. One of the reasons that we did not come close to controlling this virus was yes, due to hesitancy, dreadful communication, mixed messaged and indecisive leadership, but also relaxing regulations and tellingly, people flagrantly flouting them or ignoring those that remained in place. The longer that people fail to comply, the longer this will go on. 

6 minutes ago, Fktf said:

To an extent. I can't think of any university that would not want students on campus. 

Absolutely, because as you say there are the contracts and services to fulfill. Saying that, the strategy very much focusses on a post brexit landscape and the potential loss of revenue from EU students in particular. In American Higher Education, campus presence has been greatly reduced by distance/blended learning. 

27 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Would it be better to take a test again soon before seeing your family?

It's very cowardly and downright selfish to know you've tested positive, and are still willing to see family/friends during this lockdown (so soon after 22nd Dec) and therefore endanger them.

I think you're showing a total disregard for your positive test by willingly going out to see anyone, let alone people you love?

I understand the tolerance point, but COVID doesn't give a shit about people's individual tolerances.

You might still have COVID. You might give it to someone. That someone might be a person you don't want to lose...

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

What will the government do when people die within 28 days of being given the vaccine, because some will.

Will it go down as a cancer death, heart attack, pneumonia etc or just old age, or will it be classed as a COVID death if a small amount of the disease is present after vaccination?

With vaccines such as typhoid prevention taken before exotic holidays, the government *should have a precedent on this already. I'm sure people have died in accidents between getting vaccines and going on holiday before.

*Should being the operative word....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

That's not a lie though, that's exactly what we have been doing, and will continue to do so once allowed :dunno:

We actually ended up with more students than usual, and all of those I have spoken to (across both undergraduate and Masters level) are happy they made the decision to come. No doubt there are some unis who aren't doing a good job of it and there are unhappy students, but the way that it's portrayed in the media isn't reflective of what I am seeing around me. 

Perhaps it differs in the dept/uni you work at. My third year students had about 8 hours of face to face classes (4 sessions) last semester. I wouldn't really think a two hour class every fortnight to be a blended approach.

And people must have known this would be the maximum number of classes that could be run. There's only so many rooms on campus that are big enough to hold 20 students whilst maintaining social distancing. Once you've split those rooms across every degree programme, it must have been relatively clear what the time table would look like.

2 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Perhaps it differs in the dept/uni you work at. My third year students had about 8 hours of face to face classes (4 sessions) last semester. I wouldn't really think a two hour class every fortnight to be a blended approach.

And people must have known this would be the maximum number of classes that could be run. There's only so many rooms on campus that are big enough to hold 20 students whilst maintaining social distancing. Once you've split those rooms across every degree programme, it must have been relatively clear what the time table would look like.

Ouch, no, that's really nothing and I would agree that that is really not in the spirit of blended learning. We have been offering at least an hour a week on campus, per module which is plenty enough for them to get to know us and one another. Those who are on campus meet up to study together in the library as well, so there is a definite sense of an on campus learning community. In my department room allocations have been helped by the fact that at least half of the students have opted to study entirely online, meaning we have less on campus seminar groups than we would usually have. 

27 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Would it be better to take a test again soon before seeing your family?

It's very cowardly and downright selfish to know you've tested positive, and are still willing to see family/friends during this lockdown (so soon after 22nd Dec) and therefore endanger them.

I think you're showing a total disregard for your positive test by willingly going out to see anyone, let alone people you love?

I understand the tolerance point, but COVID doesn't give a shit about people's individual tolerances.

You might still have COVID. You might give it to someone. That someone might be a person you don't want to lose...

Not sure if I worded my comment clearly or you have misread it. I didnt leave the house during my 10 day isolation and despite it technically being over, I still haven't seen family as I want to give it extra time to be sure.

I wont be seeing friends and I am not exactly having a family BBQ, not even a family get together.  I'll see my widowed mum and then I'll see my sister.

There's a difference between having house parties and gatherings to simply seeing family in my opinion.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

You are aware that even though you will have natural antibodies, you can still carry the virus and pass it on to other people, putting them in danger?

What makes you so special that rules don't apply to you?

Is it OK if I drink 10 beers then go out driving because I still want to do stuff?

Nothing makes me special. All of us disobey the rules to some degree, some are just more honest about it than others.

Are you confident enough to say that you have never breached any of the rules? I doubt it.