Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Went to M&S Thurmaston this morning.

Forgot my mask, and asked if I could use my LCFC scarf as a mask whilst shopping at the store.

The lady who controls the number of people coming in at the entrance jokingly said: "No football hooligans are allowed sorry!; of course you can,as long as it's covering everywhere apart from your eyes, darling".

:whistle:

Edited by Wymsey

2 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Went to M&S Thurmaston this morning.

Forgot my mask, and asked if I could use my LCFC scarf as a mask whilst shopping at the store.

The lady who controls the number of people coming in at the entrance jokingly said: "No football hooligans are allowed sorry!; of course you can,as long as it's covering everywhere apart from your eyes, darling".

:whistle:

Did you get her number darling ...   :whistle:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Sorry Alf, it must be the time difference for us British citizen expats no longer allowed an opinion ;)

I remember you mentioning a potential move to Spain some time ago. I didn't realise you'd done it. Well done. ( I generally don't look at profiles or location of FT members)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

I believe that an enclosed diving suit with your own oxygen supply is better still.  Shopping can get a touch tricky, though.

Yeah, tripping people up with those flipper things on your feet, falling into the freezer due to the weight imbalance as you lean forward. Fraught with problems.

Think I'll stick to my gimp mask lol

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

I will pick 1 please Sir. 

I will then continue to behave in the same way that I have all along, restricting my contact with people and minimising my outings until such time that I have been vaccinated. 

At least this way, the morons and anti-vaxxers won't be around to bother me when it's safe for me to resume normal life!

Problem with that is, being vaccinated does not guarantee that you can't still be a carrier. Essentially, even after being vaccinated, you still need to maintain social distancing and mask-wearing to protect others even though you might consider yourself to be (relatively) free and protected.

Edited by Parafox

27 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Problem with that is, being vaccinated does not guarantee that you can't still be a carrier. Essentially, even after being vaccinated, you still need to maintain social distancing and mask-wearing to protect others even though you might consider yourself to be (relatively) free and protected.

Well quite, literally the only person I'm seeing is my father in law as he is shielding. Haven't seen either of my own parents since October. 

More than happy to carry on with that u til this is all over. 

1 minute ago, Greg2607 said:

Well quite, literally the only person I'm seeing is my father in law as he is shielding. Haven't seen either of my own parents since October. 

More than happy to carry on with that u til this is all over. 

Undoubtedly you're doing the right thing and I applaud you for that. I have visited an elderly relative and communicated through the window of his front room but not had proper contact since the current lockdown started, so maybe that could be a way of interacting with your parents whilst avoiding direct contact. Not easy but better than trying Zoom which I found was a real chore.

6 hours ago, Sampson said:

Seems to be some serious confusion as to whether asthmatics will fall under priority group 6 or not right now.

We've been trying to look into it for my nephew, but the government advise and the JCI priority list on the website seems to conflict itself. Even the Asthma UK website doesn't know and says they've been contacting the government for urgent clarity.

I presume some Dr’s are saying they do as I know someone who is under 50 and had the vaccine a few days ago, on the back of calling for a new inhaler.

On 10/02/2021 at 16:03, FoxesDeb said:

Everyone has different ideas regarding this though, don't they? I've booked a couple of holidays already, if they don't go ahead, so be it, I'll rearrange. I have friends who have done the same, and other friends who won't book anything yet.

I don't really see the issue? 

Yeah we’ve done that, one in Feb half term (already cancelled), one in July to France (rearranged from last year’s cancellation) and one in October half term. Hopefully we get at least one 🤞

I don't understand why the scientific advisors are saying that we haven't seen an impact on hospitalisations and deaths from the vaccination programme yet?

I understand it takes 2-3 weeks from date of vaccination for immunity to be achieved. 3 weeks ago today (21st January) a total of 5.4 million people had been vaccinated. Given that those 5.4 million are the oldest and most vulnerable, if they hadn't been vaccinated many would have contracted Covid and died by now?

23 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

I don't understand why the scientific advisors are saying that we haven't seen an impact on hospitalisations and deaths from the vaccination programme yet?

I understand it takes 2-3 weeks from date of vaccination for immunity to be achieved. 3 weeks ago today (21st January) a total of 5.4 million people had been vaccinated. Given that those 5.4 million are the oldest and most vulnerable, if they hadn't been vaccinated many would have contracted Covid and died by now?

I literally don't understand anything anymore. Struggling to keep up with what is going on other than knowing this is going to drag on for a long time. One of the scientists said today face masks will be here forever as if there's never been a pandemic before - surely pandemics teach us that they do pass eventually or have I completely missed something?

1 hour ago, DennisNedry said:

We are seeing decreases in hospitalisations and deaths, particularly in older age groups. 

Click into the thread and you will also see the 85+ graph. The steeper decline in hospitalisations and deaths here suggests to me vaccine effectiveness kicking in.

This, despite:

- Getting deeper into winter when respiratory viruses thrive. Remember in wave 1 we never had these months, so don't despair if it feels harder by comparison.

- Very few people being actually fully vaccinated yet with both jabs.

We're getting there. Nobody in the public eye wants to get carried away for fear of having to U-turn, and for fear of giving people an inch for them to take a mile.

It was always going to be a long winter, but we're getting there. We really, really are. Hold tight.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

It’s a week or so  too soon for a strong signal.

If we take your figure and round up we could say almost  10% of population have  got immunity today.  
without the vaccine about 1500 would be expected to catch it today, get symptoms and get tested say in 3-4 days time and get results day after.

So any current signal in the data  can only be based on the much smaller number who were vaccinated 4 weeks ago. 

9 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Absolutely unjustifiable.

Just heard on the radio, the head of public health England has said measures need to be tougher this summer than last and that restrictions will still be in place next winter. 
Am I missing something, but how can this be the case if most people have been vaccinated ?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

Just heard on the radio, the head of public health England has said measures need to be tougher this summer than last and that restrictions will still be in place next winter. 
Am I missing something, but how can this be the case if most people have been vaccinated ?

Literally no idea. Surely 2 years on we should be in a better place with treatments now. The narrative was always protecting the health service, it now seems to have moved with very little explanation as to why.

Following the Australian model might be right but I wish they'd explain why its changing.

22 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

I understand that from a purely medical or epidemiological perspective that might be the way forward. With these scientists that's their job and it's their drum so we shouldn't be surprised that they bang it. I don't agree with people directing abuse at them because really that's their professional prerogative. 

It's for the government, our civilian leadership, to take all aspects into account, and say thanks for the advice but that is unnecessary and unworkable and we'll be taking another path. Nobody seriously thinks the government has 'followed the science' throughout still do they? That illusion was shattered after 3 months.

Edited by ealingfox

15 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

Because they're setting us up for a fall again, you can feel that something's not quite as rosy as is being painted. Maybe these vaccines don't work very well against all these variants and the powers that be are setting the seeds for an almighty come down and hoping the modified vaccines will work when they come on-line towards the end of the year.

11 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I literally don't understand anything anymore. Struggling to keep up with what is going on other than knowing this is going to drag on for a long time. One of the scientists said today face masks will be here forever as if there's never been a pandemic before - surely pandemics teach us that they do pass eventually or have I completely missed something?

It takes on average 5-6 days for symptoms to show after infection and then a further 7 days on average to be hospitalised after infection.

I would say, give it a week or two.

I'm happy to see a couple of months like last summer where we could stay over at friends and family and go into cafes, pubs and restaurants with screens up between the tables, while everyone gets their jabs.

But surely it's got to be approaching normal in September when everyone's had their jabs?

Will be interesting to see how Isreal does though when they plan to reopen their economy next month.

Edited by Sampson