Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

21 minutes ago, OrielCaziado said:

I see an article today saying up to 40% of people treated in hospital for COVID in the first wave caught the damn thing whilst in Hospital. I know of two people personally who died with COVID after being in hospital treated for something else, so it doesn’t surprise me. 

dont make sense does it what a crazy time to be living in going back work monday to resume some normality

24 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Nicely angled pic from the paparazzi there.

Maybe an aerial photo from a drone would show a different scene. But why bother when all you want to do is to easily sensationalise everything to drive sales for the Mail or whatever other rag.

I'm very disillusioned with the press in general, throughout all of this. 

4 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I think journalists have a lot to answer for over the past decades. They quite literally cause deaths and ruin lives with zero accountability.

On a couple of occasions I've had journos accompany me in the response car to see what we did and report his experiences. That's fine and, TBF, they were interested and surprised at the reality of frontline ambulance work, both in the level of stress and in genuine disbelief at some of the things we were sent to. That said, on both occasions they were also trying to dig for some angle on our Trust's management and whether I thought thought the NHS was underfunded and which Health Minister was responsible.

I was interviewed on R5 a few years back about delays for ambulances at A&E. I was asked what might be the cause. I said, lack of community beds for people to be transferred to. The interviewer pushed me to say it was down to Jeremy Hunt. 

15 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Been out delivering for Amazon again all day.

Traffic on the motorway was horrendous at 10am and coming back at 6pm.

Plus about 60% of people not in to take their deliveries. 

I don't think many people are taking lockdown seriously! 

They're probably out working like you?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Possibly, but that's a hell of a lot of people, especially considering the amount of businesses that are closed. 

And it's the same on weekends.

But it's not a real lockdown is it. I would say most businesses are open and food outlets are open for takeaway, it's mainly retail that's closed

1 minute ago, Otis said:

But it's not a real lockdown is it. I would say most businesses are open and food outlets are open for takeaway, it's mainly retail that's closed

But then a lot of office staff are work from home for large chunks of the week. I'd expect more people to be home than not tbh.

3 hours ago, OrielCaziado said:

I see an article today saying up to 40% of people treated in hospital for COVID in the first wave caught the damn thing whilst in Hospital. I know of two people personally who died with COVID after being in hospital treated for something else, so it doesn’t surprise me. 

Yet the nightingales sit empty, while they close pubs, ruin busnesses & livelyhoods etc.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

But then a lot of office staff are work from home for large chunks of the week. I'd expect more people to be home than not tbh.

Agreed traffic isn't as busy as say 18 months ago, but many people still leave the home for work.

How is the UK's rampant vaccination success being portrayed in the EU I wonder? I know we are not allowed to look good under any circumstances these days.

Both my parents now had 1st Pfizer jab. My wife's 98 year old grandfather in Portugal hasnt had his, let alone anyone else there.

2 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

How is the UK's rampant vaccination success being portrayed in the EU I wonder? I know we are not allowed to look good under any circumstances these days.

Both my parents now had 1st Pfizer jab. My wife's 98 year old grandfather in Portugal hasnt had his, let alone anyone else there.

I read quite a bit of Italian and Bulgarian press, and a very small number of German articles. 

They're not as obsessed with us as much as we currently seem to think they are. The commission is getting a lot of criticism and the UK is used merely as a comparison in the stuff I've read. 

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Been out delivering for Amazon again all day.

Traffic on the motorway was horrendous at 10am and coming back at 6pm.

Plus about 60% of people not in to take their deliveries. 

I don't think many people are taking lockdown seriously! 

no way near as strict as.the last lockdown literally no one was on the roads seems like everyone is going about there business like normal in this one people have lost there paients..

i do wonder if everything opened back up and people respected each other and the most vunerable shield as much as possible we would all be ok and could resume as normal

i dont see how these variants are forming without human interferance think its more to do with somekind of bio warfare than anything else .. it dont add up

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

no way near as strict as.the last lockdown literally no one was on the roads seems like everyone is going about there business like normal in this one people have lost there paients..

i do wonder if everything opened back up and people respected each other and the most vunerable shield as much as possible we would all be ok and could resume as normal

i dont see how these variants are forming without human interferance think its more to do with somekind of bio warfare than anything else .. it dont add up

Most viruses have varients, rarely anything to worry about.

The decision to ease lockdown will be based on vaccination figures, number of new cases per day, and number of people in hospitals with covid - not just looking at whether we have vaccinated the at risk groups.

40 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Do you know what ..... the UK speed of roll out gets little to no mention here in Spain.  It does, of course, within the British communities.

The plan here is to double vaccinate and, because of that, progress appears slow.  What is really evident is the authorities do not see it as a race .... comes with the manaña culture I suppose.

I guess it’s not about “winning” as we would see it .... but, I confess, I would love to feel there was a bit more urgency.  However there does appear a coherent plan which includes those who have had COVID, under the age of 55, being relegated in the pecking order for vaccination.

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

The French still trying to convince the population they don't have to order as many vaccines as they really need as you only need one if you've previously had covid. 

BBC News - Covid: France says just one jab needed for previously infected
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56048444

Making it up as they go along. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/lockdown-end-when-government-plans-roadmap-reopen-pubs-shops-schools-uk-travel-covid-rules-870809

'A senior Government official has told this newspaper the Prime Minister’s road map out of lockdown will begin with the reopening of schools, already scheduled for 8 March.

It is understood the Government will then assess the effect of pupils returning to lessons on the virus’s reproduction number – or R number – before moving to the next stage.

If scientific data shows the R number, which fell below one on Friday for the first time since July, remains low and coronavirus infections remain at an “acceptable level”, then the Prime Minister will give the green light to non-essential shops reopening towards the end of March.

If, in the week leading up to Good Friday on 2 April, there is no significant rise in the R number or infections, then the final stage of Mr Johnson’s plan would be put into action, allowing hospitality businesses, including hotels, restaurants and pubs, to open their doors again from the Easter weekend.

This would also herald a return to staycations, but while people will be permitted to holiday in England, foreign travel is likely to be curtailed for some months to come.'

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zorro en españa said:

Do you know what ..... the UK speed of roll out gets little to no mention here in Spain.  It does, of course, within the British communities.

The plan here is to double vaccinate and, because of that, progress appears slow.  What is really evident is the authorities do not see it as a race .... comes with the manaña culture I suppose.

I guess it’s not about “winning” as we would see it .... but, I confess, I would love to feel there was a bit more urgency.  However there does appear a coherent plan which includes those who have had COVID, under the age of 55, being relegated in the pecking order for vaccination.

What do you mean by double vaccinate? Two doses? That's the same everywhere, you need both doses.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It is understood the Government will then assess the effect of pupils returning to lessons on the virus’s reproduction number – or R number – before moving to the next stage.

If scientific data shows the R number, which fell below one on Friday for the first time since July, remains low and coronavirus infections remain at an “acceptable level”, then the Prime Minister will give the green light to non-essential shops reopening towards the end of March.

This is news to me about the R number, because I certainly don't know how it works.  This much I do know, the R number represents an estimate of the number of people who will be infected by someone with coronavirus.

So correct me if I am oversimplifying, but surely if the R number is more than one, cases will rise, and if the R number is less than one, cases will fall.  Stands to reason.

So how come cases have fallen by three quarters in the last month while the R number was above 1?  Between 26th December and 16th January, a time when the R rate was apparently above 1, there were 1,084,790 confirmed cases of coronavirus, and each of those people, we are told, infected (on average) more than 1 other person.

since 16th January, there have been a further 516,821 confirmed cases.  Where are the missing 567,969 victims who were infected by all these people with R number greater than 1?  What am I missing?

25 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

This is news to me about the R number, because I certainly don't know how it works.  This much I do know, the R number represents an estimate of the number of people who will be infected by someone with coronavirus.

So correct me if I am oversimplifying, but surely if the R number is more than one, cases will rise, and if the R number is less than one, cases will fall.  Stands to reason.

So how come cases have fallen by three quarters in the last month while the R number was above 1?  Between 26th December and 16th January, a time when the R rate was apparently above 1, there were 1,084,790 confirmed cases of coronavirus, and each of those people, we are told, infected (on average) more than 1 other person.

since 16th January, there have been a further 516,821 confirmed cases.  Where are the missing 567,969 victims who were infected by all these people with R number greater than 1?  What am I missing?

My guess is a couple of factors here: Firstly that you need to decide when you measure R. For instance, do you measure it half way through an infection or at the end of it? ie I’m assuming the idea to be that you can only measure R for people who are no longer infectious and can’t spread the disease. Secondly, while someone’s harbouring the disease you don’t know how many people out there are infected but still waiting for any symptoms to appear.

Both of these taken together should therefore add reporting delays at both the end of one infection and the start of another, making accurate measurements only possible weeks afterward. So, we say now that R is officially “Below 1” because this is our first chance to properly measure it. In practice, a theoretical continuous R given the restrictions will have been below 1 for weeks. But it wouldn’t really add much for the government and scientists to explain this other than further confusion to the populace, so they’ve just stuck with R and people get the right basic idea, as you say:

R < 1: Good

R > 1: Bad.

Edited by Dunge

27 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

You are missing the switch from PCR to LF testing.  

If you watch back the last press conference, have a listen to Vallance.  Noone in the media is picking up on it.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/lockdown-end-when-government-plans-roadmap-reopen-pubs-shops-schools-uk-travel-covid-rules-870809

'A senior Government official has told this newspaper the Prime Minister’s road map out of lockdown will begin with the reopening of schools, already scheduled for 8 March.

If, in the week leading up to Good Friday on 2 April, there is no significant rise in the R number or infections, then the final stage of Mr Johnson’s plan would be put into action, allowing hospitality businesses, including hotels, restaurants and pubs, to open their doors again from the Easter weekend.

This would also herald a return to staycations, but while people will be permitted to holiday in England, foreign travel is likely to be curtailed for some months to come.'

I swear this government has more leaks than the Titanic.