Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

People are overly harsh on the nightingales. They were setup having seen the Italians have to turn sick people away from hospital because they 'weren't sick enough, yet', when we had little idea how to treat covid 19 effectively, and in the middle of the first wave, when we didn't know cases would drop so rapidly over summer.

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I suspect the order of importance in opening up  will be :

Schools 
Retail/hairdressers etc .
Health and sports facilities 
Pubs and restaurants 
Sports stadiums 

I understand the need for schools to go back but March 8th is rushed. Numbers will rise and any normality will be curtailed as a result. 

8 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I understand the need for schools to go back but March 8th is rushed. Numbers will rise and any normality will be curtailed as a result. 

Potentially and teachers aren’t keen.

The call has probably come from parents who just want to get rid of their kids from home abs back to normality !

8 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Which is then going to lead to people staying at home and self-isolating. Half-term should've been used to vaccinate teachers and school staff if schools opening is the biggest priority for easing restrictions.

• Like 3

Surely by 8 March, on a cost-benefit analysis view, it's more harmful to keep children out of school any longer. It's been established that teachers are at no additional risk than the general public and COVID doesn't touch 99.99% of kids. The harms to children missing school is well documented and I can't imagine the stress for working parents trying to juggle home schooling - I know 2 women on sick leave with stress for this at the moment (anecdotal I know but this must be being replicated nationwide).

This is on the assumption that cases continue to fall between now and 8 March. Respiratory disease season is coming to an end too which shouldn't be discounted. The potential for another explosive wave decreases day after day even discounting the vaccination programme.

3 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

The 2nd tweet is more worrying, potentially August for shops / hospitality. Even when pretty much all priority groups have been vaccinated. Doesn’t make any sense.

Yep, you'd like to think it'd be much earlier than that, even if there wasn't a specific time-frame. However, I'd rather they under-promise and over-deliver as opposed to the opposite!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Corky said:

Which is then going to lead to people staying at home and self-isolating. Half-term should've been used to vaccinate teachers and school staff if schools opening is the biggest priority for easing restrictions.

Schools reopening is being used as a political point score. Which is daft because its the most likely thing for normality to hinge on. Let's do it right, not just do it so we can harrumph that we've done it. 

I can't be ****ed with everything being closed just to get kids into school. 

1 hour ago, Lcfc82 said:

The 2nd tweet is more worrying, potentially August for shops / hospitality. Even when pretty much all priority groups have been vaccinated. Doesn’t make any sense.

Because the decision also involves hospital admissions/occupancy, and case per day (r). Vaccinating at the at risk should help these measures go in the right direction, but they'll want to see evidence rather than just assuming 

9 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The R rate, we are told, was above 1 all through January, but the number of cases fell.  so does it matter if the R rate is over 1?

well yeah because there's likely to be more transmission with it at that number?

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

well yeah because there's likely to be more transmission with it at that number?

I don't know how likely transmission is, but the R rate on every day in January was above 1, and the 7-day average cases fell from 61,269 at the start of the month to 15,431 at the end.  Which makes it hard to be certain that the R rate being above 1 increases the number of cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

I don't know how likely transmission is, but the R rate on every day in January was above 1, and the 7-day average cases fell from 61,269 at the start of the month to 15,431 at the end.  Which makes it hard to be certain that the R rate being above 1 increases the number of cases.

It means the estimates of r were clearly wrong at some point. 

R is literally a measure of how many people are infected by those that themselves have the virus themselves. Above 1 can only mean that cases are increasing.

10 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

As we see the vaccine rollout administered to those most at risk, at what point does the rollout meet with resistance from those reluctant to take it?

When this happens I expect there to be trouble.

I’d expect most the anti vacs will be all mouth and no trousers when push comes to shove.

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Schools reopening is being used as a political point score. Which is daft because its the most likely thing for normality to hinge on. Let's do it right, not just do it so we can harrumph that we've done it. 

I can't be ****ed with everything being closed just to get kids into school. 

Yeah you're in the wrong country for that kind of thinking.  We've apparently become a country which can only focus on the here-and-now with a staggering normalcy bias against even contemplating negative side-effects of our actions.

43 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

As we see the vaccine rollout administered to those most at risk, at what point does the rollout meet with resistance from those reluctant to take it?

When this happens I expect there to be trouble.

Why trouble? 

Why would those who don't need a jab,  choosing to not take a jab, be trouble?

• Like 2