Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

20 minutes ago, filbertway said:

As I said to babs it seems like they finally catch up with the weekend backlog by Wednesday and that's when the peak seems to happen each week

They’re claiming it’s due to the recording of the surge testing in parts of Scotland that has driven up the cases today. Apparently as the minister said “sometimes it’s a good thing to see an increase”?! no, me neither.

i suppose it can make sense, but it’s alarming the rate it’s increasing, but like you say it does seem that Wednesday is catch-up day.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soup said:

Ivermectin being trialed here. At last

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57570377

Even if this turns out to be a bust, it’s important that it is tested thoroughly and impartiality to determine the efficacy of this drug against Covid, one way or the other. There appears to be enough anecdotal evidence, and some smaller studies to suggest there’s at least some hope that it might be another weapon in the fight to get back to normal.

I don’t think it’s a conspiracy theory to suggest that there are perverse incentives in the pharmaceutical industry that tend towards suppressing cheap, out of patent, drugs, in favour of over hyped, highly expensive ones such as Remdesivir.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

They’re claiming it’s due to the recording of the surge testing in parts of Scotland that has driven up the cases today. Apparently as the minister said “sometimes it’s a good thing to see an increase”?! no, me neither.

i suppose it can make sense, but it’s alarming the rate it’s increasing, but like you say it does seem that Wednesday is catch-up day.  

All will be well if, despite cases increasing alarmingly, hospitalisation and deaths remain reasonably steady. Some patience is required to establish this though before going full tilt towards normality (IMO).

• Like 1

I don’t understand why they’re so sure we’ll need booster jabs when there hasn’t been enough time to see how long immunity from the vaccine lasts. Unless I’ve missed something and we now know it doesn’t last that long?

1 hour ago, Trumpet said:

I don’t understand why they’re so sure we’ll need booster jabs when there hasn’t been enough time to see how long immunity from the vaccine lasts. Unless I’ve missed something and we now know it doesn’t last that long?

Modified vaccines adjusted for the currently circulating variants. That's what the yearly flu jab does.

2 hours ago, brucey said:

Modified vaccines adjusted for the currently circulating variants. That's what the yearly flu jab does.

From what I was reading the other day, modifying vaccines won’t work for covid because the developers would be forever chasing the variants as they occur all year round and there’s too many of them.

9 hours ago, Trumpet said:

One study last week showed efficacy dropping between 6 months and nine months and dropping more sharply, the older you are. This was based on antibody readings and resistance is more complex than that. Of course the delta variant spreading will enable us to see how resistant people are after vaccination earlier in the year. 

10 hours ago, Trumpet said:

Must have discussed this loadsa times.

The virus mutates and we’ll have to have boosters exactly like we do with flu, I imagine 

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but does anyone know if they'll let you get a second vaccine before the advised 8-weeks? 

I had my 1st 4 weeks ago and want to get a second to avoid the quarantine when I hopefully go to Spain mid-July. It seems that Spain won't be put on the green list but those with double vaccines won't have to quarantine. 

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Must have discussed this loadsa times.

The virus mutates and we’ll have to have boosters exactly like we do with flu, I imagine 

Sorry, I try not to spend too much time in this thread anymore so must have missed the previous discussions. For what it’s worth I have no problem with being jabbed yearly if that’s what’s needed, just curious as to whether that yearly could become bi-yearly as more data emerges.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

One study last week showed efficacy dropping between 6 months and nine months and dropping more sharply, the older you are. This was based on antibody readings and resistance is more complex than that. Of course the delta variant spreading will enable us to see how resistant people are after vaccination earlier in the year. 

So far as I have always been led to believe, antibody numbers will always drop if you don't have the disease.  The measure of efficiency isn't how many antibodies you have before you are reinfected, it's how many you can produce in a hurry when the reinfection comes.  The vaccine cannot stop us breathing in the virus, it just makes us better at fighting it off.  Ideally (and ususally) the virus will be fought off before we know we have it.

I would have thought high anitbody count means we have come across the disease fairly recently and low means that it's been a while.  It wouldn't necessarily mean that lower count people are less good at fighting it off.

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

So far as I have always been led to believe, antibody numbers will always drop if you don't have the disease.  The measure of efficiency isn't how many antibodies you have before you are reinfected, it's how many you can produce in a hurry when the reinfection comes.  The vaccine cannot stop us breathing in the virus, it just makes us better at fighting it off.  Ideally (and ususally) the virus will be fought off before we know we have it.

I would have thought high anitbody count means we have come across the disease fairly recently and low means that it's been a while.  It wouldn't necessarily mean that lower count people are less good at fighting it off.

Agree 100% 

we are, as a nation, currently undergoing a massive vaccine trial ref re infections 

2 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

So how many of the rising infections are in people who have had 0 jabs v 1 jab v 2 jabs? This is all so obviously heading to a September/October lockdown.

And then, because of how the powers that be drip feed us bits of information that casts doubts yet put the idea in the populations head that somethings going to happen, we start all over again with vaccinations to prepare for a bit of spring/summer freedom the next year and so on.

29 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

So how many of the rising infections are in people who have had 0 jabs v 1 jab v 2 jabs? This is all so obviously heading to a September/October lockdown.

And for each of these categories it needs splitting into asymptomatic, mildly symptomatic, and serious.  

After all, if the two-jab infections are spotted only because of the mass testing, and without the testing the "victim" wouldn't even know they had it, it's a very different position from if they're actually ill.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If you have money there's no need to quarantine. How are UEFA officials/VIPs 'important'?

I don't get why people can't accept that for certain jobs you can go to different countries and not need to quarantine lol

She's not crying because the players aren't quarantining. Obviously just doing it to be contrarian, but some people will be annoyed by it because they can't grasp the difference between work and leisure and it's just whipping up controversy for absolutely no reason.

Just read there could be 140,000 at Silverstone in just over 3 weeks. That'll be pretty cool.

We're so close! Get them arms filled with delicious vaccine asap!

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I don't get why people can't accept that for certain jobs you can go to different countries and not need to quarantine lol

She's not crying because the players aren't quarantining. Obviously just doing it to be contrarian, but some people will be annoyed by it because they can't grasp the difference between work and leisure and it's just whipping up controversy for absolutely no reason.

Just read there could be 140,000 at Silverstone in just over 3 weeks. That'll be pretty cool.

We're so close! Get them arms filled with delicious vaccine asap!

Are the 2.5k coming over here to work, or purely for the match and the social aspect? At least the footballers etc. are providing a service to the rest of us.

That's my own personal issue with it anyway, it'll be a jolly boys trip whilst the rest of us can't have a jolly boys trip abroad.

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Are the 2.5k coming over here to work, or purely for the match and the social aspect? At least the footballers etc. are providing a service to the rest of us.

That's my own personal issue with it anyway, it'll be a jolly boys trip whilst the rest of us can't have a jolly boys trip abroad.

I assume they'll be over in "representing their company" capacity. If it means the country gets to host the finals then I have absolutely no issue.

They're going to be under such scrutiny from people that I struggle to imagine how it'll be an enjoyable experience. I know if I was offered it I'd pass, because it's not worth people shouting at you from their big red rags.

That's not to say I don't think your feelings on the matter aren't justified mate, I just find it hard to get myself worked up by it all personally. I'm probably in the minority :D

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

Just now, filbertway said:

I assume they'll be over in "representing their company" capacity. If it means the country gets to host the finals then I have absolutely no issue.

They're going to be under such scrutiny from people that I struggle to imagine how it'll be an enjoyable experience. I know if I was offered it I'd pass, because it's not worth people shouting at you from their big red rags.

That's not to say your feelings on the matter aren't justified mate, I just find it hard to get myself worked up by it all personally. I'm probably in the minority :D

Mate I haven't been following the rules for ages so I can't really say anythinglol

Just annoys me that people will follow the rules whilst practically being laughed at by the Government and these VIPs who are actively getting special treatment etc.

9 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Mate I haven't been following the rules for ages so I can't really say anythinglol

Just annoys me that people will follow the rules whilst practically being laughed at by the Government and these VIPs who are actively getting special treatment etc.

Haha I know what you mean, the tory MP's especially really seem to struggle to hide their contempt for the average person when being interviewed lol

The amount of anger the Matt Hancock's smug smile and attitude brings up in me is mental haha.

I feel like if people are sticking to the rules rigidly then more fool them. Assess your own situation, take on board advice from the government and scientists and make your own decision.

People asking "can i hug so and so". Yes of course you can, way up the pros and cons and make your own decision.

The worst people are the ones that stuck to the rules rigidly and then just because the government said it was okay at christmas, they decided that touching and seeing people was safe for a 72 hour period then went back to being frightened of everything. Incredibly weird lol

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BrummieFOX said:

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but does anyone know if they'll let you get a second vaccine before the advised 8-weeks? 

I had my 1st 4 weeks ago and want to get a second to avoid the quarantine when I hopefully go to Spain mid-July. It seems that Spain won't be put on the green list but those with double vaccines won't have to quarantine. 

I had my first 9 weeks ago and didn't get another text, so I rang 119 and got my 2nd jab booked in for this evening.

If you don't get a text by 8 weeks or so, ring up and book.

Edited by Simmo86