Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

I have a cough. Every time I cough, people ask if I have Covid. Do people not realise that you can just have a cough?

You wouldn't hear someone has a headache and ask if they have a brain tumour would you? Well, I suppose you might; but if you would then you're a fool.

Just now, dsr-burnley said:

Isn't it more likely than one of the other coronaviruses that affects humans, for which we don't have a vaccine, will make that next evolutionary step?  Yes, we have gazillions of Covid-19s against which we have a vaccine, and that Covid-19 might sudenly mutate to something that the vaccine doesn't work against.  We also have several other coronaviruses against which we don't have a vaccine, any of which might mutate into something more lethal.  If that's how evolution works, then the question is to what extent should we lock down just in case.  

Not necessarily. This current Covid-19 strain is under the most environmental stress to evolve to be resistant to this vaccine, making it more likely so to speak.

But to evolve against the vaccine is harder than just a lucky spot mutation given the entire shape of the target region would need to change. 

A new virus would need to mutate and take hold in a current environment which is designed to limit the spread of a virus. The chances of which are significantly lower

7 hours ago, Izzy said:

Is that right Doctor?

I’m in the vulnerable group and had my vacations months ago. I take immunosuppressant injections every other week and was told the COVID vaccine would protect me.

Are you now telling me it’s a waste of time?

It was my belief that a totally failed immune system wouldn't work with or without a vaccine.  If you're telling me that people with no immune system at all are still protected by this vaccine, I apologise.  It's good news.

My post was a bit black-and-white in its implication that there is a choice between having no immune system and a fully working one; I'm sure there are plenty of shades in between, partially working immune systems.

10 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I have a cough. Every time I cough, people ask if I have Covid. Do people not realise that you can just have a cough?

You wouldn't hear someone has a headache and ask if they have a brain tumour would you? Well, I suppose you might; but if you would then you're a fool.

Doesn't help that the main symptoms of the Delta variant are indistinguishable from hayfever, especially in June when millions of Brits are suffering with it.

Just now, DennisNedry said:

Doesn't help that the main symptoms of the Delta variant are indistinguishable from hayfever, especially in June when millions of Brits are suffering with it.

Hayfever has really hit me this year; seems to come on worse each year now and I never suffered with it until about 5 years ago.

On 18/06/2021 at 17:17, Soup said:

Spain to lift the outdoor mask rule from the 26th of this month. Stupid rule in the first place

I know it's what Sanchez wants but I think it still needs to be voted through doesn't it? And only where social distancing of at least 1.5m can be maintained? 

• In May 2021, there were 35,401 deaths registered in England, 4,252 deaths (10.7%) fewer than the May five-year average (2015 to 2019); this is the second consecutive month that deaths were below the five-year average in England since August 2020.

• In Wales in May 2021, there were 2,416 deaths registered, 271 deaths (10.1%) fewer than the May average.

• The coronavirus (COVID-19) was the 24th leading cause of death in May 2021 in England (accounting for 0.9% of all deaths registered in May) and the 31st leading cause of death in Wales (0.6% of all deaths).

Far too much media attention given that Covid-19 was 24th leading cause of death during May.

At what point will we be allowed to live our lives as normal and accept this is desease is around us like other deseases.

July 19th?

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

How are these states in USA opening like places like nightclubs and stuff? Why aren't they worried about the 'Delta variant' like we are?!

From what I understand they have ditched masks and ditched the unreliable LFTs.

Not sure if the Delta variant is in the US.

7 minutes ago, Otis said:

From what I understand they have ditched masks and ditched the unreliable LFTs.

Not sure if the Delta variant is in the US.

Delta is in the US, but US citizens aren't like us in the UK, they would not tolerate lockdown like us.

So it's free for all and they except people die, It is the land of the free

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

How are these states in USA opening like places like nightclubs and stuff? Why aren't they worried about the 'Delta variant' like we are?!

Exactly. I'm guessing your question is rhetorical. 

We have helter skeltered into such  a feeble, compliant, lily livered nation nowadays.

Wouldn't say boo to a goose most people.

19 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Delta is in the US, but US citizens aren't like us in the UK, they would not tolerate lockdown like us.

So it's free for all and they except people die, It is the land of the free

28 minutes ago, Otis said:

Far too much media attention given that Covid-19 was 24th leading cause of death during May.

This is a global issue. It spreads, then it continues to mutate. 

In England, 38,000 cases of the Delta variant were recorded in the past 28 days. The Scottish government says the variant is responsible for "the overwhelming majority" of new cases. Northern Ireland's government has warned that it's likely to become the dominant strain and the Welsh government says the Delta variant is driving a rise in infection, with the country at the start of a third wave of coronavirus.

33 minutes ago, Otis said:

At what point will we be allowed to live our lives as normal and accept this is desease is around us like other deseases.

July 19th?

When will you comprehend that is isn't "just like other diseases"?

In answer to your question, when the vaccination programme allows us to drive down and contain outbreaks and when the the risk of new variants threatening to overwhelm our health services is reduced. 

We won't be able to completely stop variants coming into the UK.  The best solution is to vaccinate as many people in the world as possible. 

15 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

We have helter skeltered into such  a feeble, compliant, lily livered nation nowadays.

Wouldn't say boo to a goose most people.

Not with you. What are you advocating?

25 minutes ago, Line-X said:

This is a global issue. It spreads, then it continues to mutate. 

In England, 38,000 cases of the Delta variant were recorded in the past 28 days. The Scottish government says the variant is responsible for "the overwhelming majority" of new cases. Northern Ireland's government has warned that it's likely to become the dominant strain and the Welsh government says the Delta variant is driving a rise in infection, with the country at the start of a third wave of coronavirus.

When will you comprehend that is isn't "just like other diseases"?

In answer to your question, when the vaccination programme allows us to drive down and contain outbreaks and when the the risk of new variants threatening to overwhelm our health services is reduced. 

We won't be able to completely stop variants coming into the UK.  The best solution is to vaccinate as many people in the world as possible. 

Not with you. What are you advocating?

You keep saying it's a global issue,  no one is denying that. 

Delta is the most dominant variant in England too. Which the vaccine seems to protect against death in most cases.

By July 19th more people will be vaccinated. Hopefully the government will deem the vaccinated number is high enough to fully release restrictions. 

42 minutes ago, Otis said:

Then why did you recently say "this was all over two months ago"? 

43 minutes ago, Otis said:

Delta is the most dominant variant in England too. Which the vaccine seems to protect against death in most cases.

Because the government relaxed restrictions upon international travel and delayed placing India on the red list. Currently just over half the population have been fully vaccinated. 

44 minutes ago, Otis said:

By July 19th more people will be vaccinated. Hopefully the government will deem the vaccinated number is high enough to fully release restrictions. 

Let's hope so. And I pray that future variants reaching these shores will not be able to evade them. 

The states is an interesting ongoing experiment 

they can’t get the numbers above 70% ……. There is general acceptance from the authorities that this is going to be as good as it gets so they may as well release restrictions in general.  They do have policies there that permit the double vaccinated to do pretty much whatever they want to whereas we took the decision to wait for everyone to be jabbed before releasing.  This call on the basis of fairness that the younger generation shouldn’t miss out having not had the access to vaccines.  Personally, I would have put the economy ahead of fairness ! 

13 minutes ago, Line-X said:
1 hour ago, Otis said:

Then why did you recently say "this was all over two months ago"? 

I should have clarified... it's over in the UK.  Meaning it's not out of control.

29 minutes ago, Otis said:

I should have clarified... it's over in the UK.  Meaning it's not out of control.

As we both know, that is not what you meant at all. And even where the infection rate it is under control, due to the dynamic and evolving nature of an infectious virus and overseas variants inevitably bound for these shores, your blasé and ill-informed statement was in relation to continuing precautions

...and completely wrong. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/delta-variant-out-control-greater-20850157

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237475-covid-19-news-99-of-uk-cases-thought-to-be-due-to-delta-variant/

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/223853/delta-variant-could-cause-significant-third/

7 minutes ago, Line-X said:

As we both know, that is not what you meant at all. And even where the infection rate it is under control, due to the dynamic and evolving nature of an infectious virus and overseas variants inevitably bound for these shores, your blasé and ill-informed statement was in relation to continuing precautions

...and completely wrong. 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/delta-variant-out-control-greater-20850157

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237475-covid-19-news-99-of-uk-cases-thought-to-be-due-to-delta-variant/

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/223853/delta-variant-could-cause-significant-third/

The average daily death rate has been in single figures for 2 months, it's not out of control.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Otis said:

The average daily death rate has been in single figures for 2 months, it's not out of control.

Why do you keep mentioning death rates? The infection rate is absolutely out of control in some areas. Infections increased by 50% between May and June due to a rapid switch between Alpha and Delta variant. Cases are doubling every 11 days. This can have result in  huge clinical burden impact on health services. Why are you still failing to comprehend this? Vaccine progress should help reduce this increase throughout July. 

Your recent statement that "this was all over two months ago" was utter rubbish, and you simply lack the integrity to admit it. 

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

Why do you keep mentioning death rates? The infection rate is absolutely out of control in some areas. Infections increased by 50% between May and June due to a rapid switch between Alpha and Delta variant. Cases are doubling every 11 days. This can have result in  huge clinical burden impact on health services. Why are you still failing to comprehend this? Vaccine progress should help reduce this increase throughout July. 

Your recent statement that "this was all over two months ago" was utter rubbish, and you simply lack the integrity to admit it. 

Why are you obsessed with cases. If cases aren't turning in serious cases that burden the NHS & or deaths it's not out of control.

I stand by what I said.

44459699-9705695-image-a-17_162421048865

• Like 2