Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

17 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

60k at Wembley for the semis and final .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57546042

Just fans from the UK?

I cannot see the Government  being very popular letting thousands in from overseas whilst having restrictions on travel here .

Suspect it's more to do with the Italian PM wanting the final moved to Rome due to the rise in UK Covid infections.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Time to revisit this graph...

Are we there yet?  

When was this graph published? 

In the initial outbreak when we had very little protection, the narrative was to stay at home to "protect the NHS" and rightly so. Now we have all the current protections in place so why are the media still trying to scaremonger? Yes, there's bound to be a rise in hospital admissions as a result of an increase in infections but nothing that is going to "overwhelm the NHS". 

Seems to me the media are driving the current narrative for clickbait and sales.

Irresponsible IMO.

Edited by Parafox

38 minutes ago, Parafox said:

When was this graph published? 

In the initial outbreak when we had very little protection, the narrative was to stay at home to "protect the NHS" and rightly so. Now we have all the current protections in place so why are the media still trying to scaremonger? Yes, there's bound to be a rise in hospital admissions as a result of an increase in infections but nothing that is going to "overwhelm the NHS". 

Seems to me the media are driving the current narrative for clickbait and sales.

Irresponsible IMO.

In the week in the run up to Boris' latest car crash of a press conference I believe.

One could continue to provide data but it's seems rather pointless when we have Warwick publishing modelling which is way, way, way off what's happening that govt takes as gospel.  We need to move away from "what if" scenarios.

• Like 2

This Guardian article, which is more about the Chilwell/Mount/Gilmore farce and UEFA's abuse of power than it is specifically about COVID, is brilliant. 

"With Covid set to cause disruptions deep into winter, the government should be looking to keep people onside – and the appearance of fairness is key. Otherwise, increasing numbers of people will decide that the most sensible accommodation they can make with government advice is to ignore it."

I stopped taking notice a while ago, to be honest.

17 minutes ago, Munshi said:

Whilst ‘Normal’ people like us would have to spend a grand quarantining in a Travelodge prison camp. We’ve been had from day one.

Ridiculous.

But again, a positive on the whole. Even people I know who have followed most of the rules from the start are now beginning to question the whole thing and why they're bothering.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Munshi said:

Whilst ‘Normal’ people like us would have to spend a grand quarantining in a Travelodge prison camp. We’ve been had from day one.

Let's just hope they put their masks on to walk the 10 feet from the door to their table in the pub!

49 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Ridiculous.

But again, a positive on the whole. Even people I know who have followed most of the rules from the start are now beginning to question the whole thing and why they're bothering.

The problem being is regular folk will still be harangued in various contexts about following the rules and, if persistent, fined. 

You can't make an argument about uefa delegates not quarantining at the airport successfully. 

****ed by the Tory mindset of privilege begetting privilege. 

Guest ttfn

This from the BBC’s feed;

A son desperate to see his dying father in Australia has been denied quarantine exemption by the state of Queensland - meaning he and his wife must spend 14 days in hotel isolation before they can visit Mark Kilian's father, who has pancreatic cancer.

The couple were granted exemption to Covid-19 border closures by the Australian federal government, but the state of Queensland has denied their request.

"I think it kind of just shattered him," says Mark, whose father was moved to hospital soon after he learnt he would not be able to see his son immediately.

Queensland Health has denied the exemption four times but have put forward "no solutions", says Mark's partner, Anneli Gericke.

A spokesperson for Queensland Health has defended its policies, saying it would "always put the safety of the Queensland community first and our quarantine policy has been successful in keeping our community safe".

The couple are both fully vaccinated and have returned three negative Covid tests.

"I am battling to come to terms with the heartlessness," says Mark, who insists the couple do not present a health risk to the people of Queensland.

What has the world come to? Test negative three times, double vaccinated, can’t see your dying father because of the absolutely infinitesimally small chance you have an infectious disease. 

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

You know exactly what he means. 

There's one group of people expected to sort this mess, and another group carrying on like nothing is happening. 

I'm sorry, but I know nothing of the sort, hence my asking.

From the context of the post, it *sounded* like an argument for the whole thing just being a conspiracy for the "elites" to walk all over "us" in some fashion...but I'm not sure about that either, so I'll wait for confirmation.

6 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Another strain that's not going to bypass the vaccine I should think. 

I think we need to acknowledge that it’s here to stay and we’ll most likely need annual boosters for this thing. 

Just now, Happy Fox said:

Does anyone know if their 2nd vaccination date will be moved 4 weeks earlier? Does that apply to all age groups?

It seems largely area dependent. 

I’ve not heard anything on my 2nd date yet. My first one was 4 weeks ago. 

Just now, Sly said:

It seems largely area dependent. 

I’ve not heard anything on my 2nd date yet. My first one was 4 weeks ago. 

I see, didn’t realise that, I thought it was nationwide changes.

My 2nd is due 26th July first one was done on the 31st May, so hoping my 2nd vaccination date will be moved earlier.