Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

8 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Politicians in making money scandal. Is anyone else surprised? It's happened for decades and will always continue to happen.

I saw a video earlier on Twitter that the Nightingale hospital in London was being taken down? Surely must be fake news?

I dont think it will be taken down until we know what will happen this winter, the Nightingale wasn't what Barts wanted it to be, but if things get bad again in the winter,  it could play a part in helping the real hospitals get the longer term weans through critical care to free up beds.

Barts were saying how great it was that they were never needed, in reality they are furious that Kings, Guys & St Thomas' and St Georges all massively increased their bed capacity to stop patients having to go to that place. They wanted to save the world, but the Nightingale was never fit for purpose. You could only do 2 or 3 CT scans a day there and renal replacement therapy was very limited. They didn't even have steroids according to colleagues of mine.

If things get really bad again, it needs to be a place where the real ICU's can discharge patients that still need some degree of ventilation to facilitate rehab.

Edited by z-layrex
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

And to the background of an economy tanking with a government creating a support scheme which we will have to pay for. 

'you lot get back to your jobs so our advisors can profit from government funding.' 

No doubt there'll be the usual crowd rushing to the defence of the tory party but they just keep getting worse. 

They have no regards for the general public. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Good grief.

FB_IMG_1596797050650.jpg

The worst part about internet communications is a bunch of anonymous voices can reaffirm your batshit opinions. If the only way to communicate these ideas in a ‘group’ was in a physical one, you’d see the weird blokes emitting strange odours and senior grandmas and quickly realise how much of a freak you were being. 

On 05/08/2020 at 19:30, worth_the_wait said:

Here's a surprisingly well-balanced account from the BBC, about how things are perhaps not quite as bad as they appear:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53656852

I dont understand the obsession with schools reopening, they will be a spread of the virus.

Pubs as well, are people that addicted to drinking out?

Its pretty funny some areas like our's we not allowed to travel, we cant visit family in their home, but we can send kids to school and go to a pub.

Edited by Chrysalis

7 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Looking likely there could be a lock down in counties Kildare,Laois and Offaly.

226 cases reported in the 3 counties over the last 2 weeks. Meat processing plants at the centre of the outbreak.

Lockdown confirmed for all 3 counties.

To run for 2 weeks starting tonight.

On 05/08/2020 at 21:12, WigstonWanderer said:

I’d say that was a side effect of the virus. Either people were too scared to seek normal treatment, or it wasn’t safe to perform in hospitals as it is a recognised co-morbidity, or it is due to insufficient services being possible in hospitals which had been cleared to provide for incoming Covid patients.

All of these effects would be arguable (much) worse if there had been no lockdown, and Covid cases were allowed to increase exponentially.

Genuine fears, I heard of no evidence potential covid cases are isolated in hospitals, if you go in for non covid reasons, are you sharing a waiting room? if you have a chest xray did a covid patient use the same xray machine before you?

Yet I have read numerous stories of people going to hospital, testing negative, but then catching it before leaving, or catching it and then dying from it.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2020 at 18:18, Lionator said:

Interesting study from Denmark, healthcare workers are essentially twice as likely to have had COVID. 

They also find that 46% of cases in healthcare workers have been asymptomatic (or haven't involved the standard covid symptoms). 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30589-2/fulltext

This suggests that if half of people don't get symptoms but can still spread it, it's virtually impossible to control unless you mass test everyonre regularly which is impossible.

Well this has always been obvious, its the reason why there should be mass home testing kits, sort of like pregnancy tests.

On 04/08/2020 at 20:16, Babylon said:

Eventually people are just going to take their chances aren't they. What's the point of a 70 year old cowering in the shadows of their house for 5 years, what sort of life is that. 

People will take precautions and try and go back to some sort of normality. 

Yeah, some people did that from the start, I think someone even replied to me on here back in April they would rather die than live in fear.  The older you are the more sense it makes.

On 04/08/2020 at 23:15, yorkie1999 said:

Well that means either we have a health system that isn’t as competent as other European nations, which I doubt, or we are working the figures out differently. Whether we are correct, or the other nations are correct in the way deaths are counted is what is debatable.

The NHS has long had a policy of they wait until something is severe before treating it, its a short termist policy aimed at reducing stress on the system, sending someone home,, refusing to admit someone, is cheaper than taking on a case.

On the covid policy, the triage was moved from the wards to the ambulance/999/111 services, people were been refused a trip to the hospital unless they were about to die, now if you wait until something has progressed before treating it then, prognosis will typically be worse than if you didnt.  Arguably it was the only option the NHS had as decades of under investment and bad management led to the situation we found ourselves in with available beds etc.  Have we learnt from the lesson? given that there is plans to dismantle the temporary hospitals instead of making them permanent added capacity, I would guess no.

There is arguments for both systems, accountants will argue its wasted resources treating every potential nasty case as if it will be nasty, efficiency is about waiting until something is actually nasty, its the reason why things like cancer are not even considered for young patients when they present symptoms.

In the preston article it states restrictions continue in Leicester so I assume its done.

I feel we heading to a two tier country, if you under a county council you get a better life, it seems we heading that way.  Preston has the same nonsense we do, the article states county council residents who share same post code as city council residents are not affected.

Edited by Chrysalis

18 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I dont understand the obsession with schools reopening, they will be a spread of the virus.

Pubs as well, are people that addicted to drinking out?

Its pretty funny some areas like our's we not allowed to travel, we cant visit family in their home, but we can send kids to school and go to a pub.

It’s all about the economy and the government starting to shit themselves at the prospect of billions of pounds not going back into the system but billions going out. Teachers, civil servants council office workers, etc all get paid if they are not at work but where does the money come from to pay their wages...from the day to day cycle of commuting, paying for fuel, spending in shops pubs and restaurants, coffee shops and everywhere else we spend money. If that money’s not getting spent, the government don’t get any vat. Public services don’t make money, they spend it, without private business handing over huge sums of tax, the money will run out and we’ll be borrowing for years to pay for it, and then the cycle of having hardly any industry in this country will kick in, cos if we don’t make anything or dig anything out the ground and flog it to other countries, we’ve got nothing to sell to allow us to bring cash in from abroad.

7 minutes ago, Md9 said:

Reading the mercury website it says he didn’t mention Leicester? So we just stuck for another week 

I just read it, one of the articles does mention it, also our drop in numbers has almost stagnated, the 7 day average only went down a tiny amount.  We are extended on same rules for another 7 days to be reviewed again on 14 august.

We now at numbers where the likes of rochdale were not put in lockdown but clearly the government have moved the goalposts, I dont know how low the 7 day average has to get but I feel my original prediction of it been almost perpetual is going to come true.  3 weeks until schools reopen, and hospitality has reopened.

Edited by Chrysalis

7 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It’s all about the economy and the government starting to shit themselves at the prospect of billions of pounds not going back into the system but billions going out. Teachers, civil servants council office workers, etc all get paid if they are not at work but where does the money come from to pay their wages...from the day to day cycle of commuting, paying for fuel, spending in shops pubs and restaurants, coffee shops and everywhere else we spend money. If that money’s not getting spent, the government don’t get any vat. Public services don’t make money, they spend it, without private business handing over huge sums of tax, the money will run out and we’ll be borrowing for years to pay for it, and then the cycle of having hardly any industry in this country will kick in, cos if we don’t make anything or dig anything out the ground and flog it to other countries, we’ve got nothing to sell to allow us to bring cash in from abroad.

I know, I understand economics, but if you telling people you can go to school, and go to a pub, you may as well let them visit family, as you already allowing risker activities.

3 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I just read it, one of the articles does mention it, also our drop in numbers has almost stagnated, the 7 day average only went down a tiny amount.  We are extended on same rules for another 7 days to be reviewed again on 14 august.

We now at numbers where the likes of rochdale were not put in lockdown but clearly the government have moved the goalposts, I dont know how low the 7 day average has to get but I feel my original prediction of it been almost perpetual is going to come true.  3 weeks until schools reopen, and hospitality has reopened.

I heard it on the news also.

6 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Just crap isn’t it. Bet half the places recently placed in lockdown won’t be in it for as long as we have been either. Once a week of the pubs being open and there is a case or 2 come from one of them it will be another month before we get out of lockdown 

23 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I know, I understand economics, but if you telling people you can go to school, and go to a pub, you may as well let them visit family, as you already allowing risker activities.

That risk doesn’t make money, doesn’t keep jobs and businesses going. The economy is being prioritised, you open everything up and we’ll be back to square one. It’s going to be a continuously fluid situation.

31 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Well, that was a point made right near the start of this. 

Govts across the world have terrified the public and now can't coax people back. Very early on, imo, there should've been a gradual phasing of normalising Covid and softening its 'image'.  Good news doesn't sell though, I guess 

The emergency economic actions taken  are what I'd have expected for a new bubonic plague, or if Ebola went (literally) viral.

• Like 2