Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Odsonne Edouard

2 minutes ago, martyn said:

But it's a ridiculous point, because you're using that notion of "fondness" as a stick with which to beat down Jamie Vardy's ability as a footballer. The only reason we had that level of success was due to Jamie Vardy being an integral part of that team, and him displaying the ability required of a Premier League winning centre forward. Whilst there has been 1 title, he has maintained that level over the course of 4 or 5 seasons now. 

We're fond of Vardy not only because he has been part of a golden era, but also because he is, and has been by any metric, an elite level striker at the top level.

It's all good and well harping on about how much Premier League you watch, but through your posts here, you've clearly demonstrated how little you actually know about Jamie Vardy. And that is nothing to do with Odsonne Edouard.

You are seeing slights that quite simply don't exist, I'm well aware how integral Vardy is to your team.

Are you saying players who achieved something aren't generally remembered more fondly that ones that didn't?

Coz that's the only point I was making.

59 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

Yes better, there's no version of Vardy that I would swap for the current version of Eddy, i'm not saying this lightly, I didn't say this stuff about Leigh Griffiths or Gary Hooper, or even Dembele, Eddy is special player.

I've actually never seen Eduardo play but I'm encouraged that you think this highly of him even though I'm sure you're highly biased it's still a positive. We have another very reasonable Celtic fan on here who thinks extremely highly of Edouard even if he falls short of thinking him Messi like.

It's such a no brainer for me if we could get Edouard in for the price of Iheanacho and maybe anther £10m. We're the sort of club who can only get top quality players when there is still doubts about them rather than the ready made article. We should never refuse a chance to get in a player of Edouard's profile when the opportunity arises especially if we can fund the majority of the fee by selling a player who has just fallen short of forcing his way into the first XI. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Thank you. This really brightened up my day.

I'm very interested to hear who you would compare Edouard with in terms of ability, and potential. Who do you think is his equal? Anyone past or present. And his potential. Who do you think he has the potential to be as good as, if anyone?

It would be interesting to see how he compares him with Larsson as there should be no bias there and Larsson was borderline world class and the best Celtic striker since Dalglish.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Even if we hadn't won the league, Vardy has broken 20 league goals 2 out of the last 3 (18 in the other season under a horrific Claude Puel regime for the majority of it) seasons for a team outside the big 6 aged 33. It's a phenomenal achievement. He really is a maverick player, there won't be many with his story and the way he plays come round again. I'd have him down as one of the most unique and influential PL players there's been, he's a genius in what he does.

Me rating Eddy higher shouldn't be taken as criticism of Vardy, he's clearly one of the top EPL strikers in recent history, I just see Eddy as a far more complete player which is why I think he'd be better than Vardy at one of the top tier teams, Eddy is not an out and out goalscorer, he only just starting to become really prolific in the last year, his link up play is on much higher lever, he assists almost as many as he scores.

12 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

You are seeing slights that quite simply don't exist, I'm well aware how integral Vardy is to your team.

Are you saying players who achieved something aren't generally remembered more fondly that ones that didn't?

Coz that's the only point I was making.

My last post on this because we'll only ever go round in circles. 

I'm not saying anything about how players are remembered.

You said that Edouard now is better than "the best version of Vardy". That point has been challenged by numerous posters. 

In response, you said "part of the attachment to Vardy is the unbelievable success you achieved with him leading the line"

By saying that, you were inferring that his ability as a player is not being separated from the success the team achieved. If that wasn't your point, what was it?

Take success/team accolades out of it, I'm saying to you, based off any metric, you are underrating Jamie Vardy as a footballer. I'm not talking about him being "integral to the team" (the myth about him "suiting Leicester" was debunked by another poster in this thread), i'm talking about his ability as an elite level centre forward.

And I hope we can sign Edouard, because i think he has every chance of being a top centre forward, and the fact Celtic fans speak so highly of him is testament to that,

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

I believe myself to be very reasonable.

Vardy suits Leicester to a tee, I don't think he'd do as well as Eddy at a elite level team, Eddy has more in his locker for me.

I think you need to respect your audience a tad here my friend.

How do you think it would go down if say a Liverpool fan came onto the huddleboard and said Owen or Fowler was better than Larsson?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dbtcity said:

I don’t get why some of us get our nose so knocked out of joint by opposing fans offering their opinion on players lol 

I take the better than Vardy comment with a pinch of salt but I also look past that and see how highly the lad is rated by their fans and it makes me 100% want to see him at our club! 

Absolutely.

We might disagree with his opinion on Vardy, that's fine, but we have a Celtic supporter here willing to tell us all about this guy.  I for one, want to hear what he has to say.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dbtcity said:

I don’t get why some of us get our nose so knocked out of joint by opposing fans offering their opinion on players lol 

I take the better than Vardy comment with a pinch of salt but I also look past that and see how highly the lad is rated by their fans and it makes me 100% want to see him at our club! 

In my experience you wouldn't go far wrong on judging a player by what the fans think. If it's almost universal then chances are they're a player. I remember arguing with someone about Kante's quality in about October 2015 when he was still under the radar. Matey claimed all Kante did was run around a lot and foul people when I watched him every week and could see he was top quality. It was only around the Christmas mark that Kante started getting accolades outside of Leicester.

It's a bit like Maguire and dare I say Chilwell who were/are rated as borderline world class by some observers and whilst both are very good players by opinion of both is they're higher rated at their time here than what they should have been.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Even if we hadn't won the league, Vardy has broken 20 league goals 2 out of the last 3 (18 in the other season under a horrific Claude Puel regime for the majority of it) seasons for a team outside the big 6 aged 33. It's a phenomenal achievement. He really is a maverick player, there won't be many with his story and the way he plays come round again. I'd have him down as one of the most unique and influential PL players there's been, he's a genius in what he does.

All of this in Spades. I know I am a part-timer in that I have only been a Leicester City fan, man and boy, for 47 years but Vardy is without doubt my favourite City player of all time. That is all due to the way he has applied himself to his craft after the first year he joined City. He has improved technically and physically each year and he continues to reap the rewards. Long may it continue.

Edited by Steven
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gerard said:

It would be interesting to see how he compares him with Larsson as there should be no bias there and Larsson was borderline world class and the best Celtic striker since Dalglish.

I love Eddy and he is undoubtedly the best we've had since Larsson but it's like comparing apples and oranges for me, Larsson was genuinely in the top 5 strikers in the world when he was at Celtic, he was scoring goals in the Champions League, European Championships, World Cups and winning European golden boots all the while we were batting back bids from Man Utd who were the biggest and most successful club on the planet at the time. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I think you need to respect your audience a tad here my friend.

How do you think it would go down if say a Liverpool fan came onto the huddleboard and said Owen or Fowler was better than Larsson?

I don’t think respecting us is really the issues, it’s probably more that he’s talking complete bollocks that’s the one here.

19 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

No idea how you get that from what I've said.

It read like you were implying our adulation of Vardy was at least partly down to the success we enjoyed with him in the team, as if he was, at least in part, expendable.

In actual fact, he's one of the key reasons we've achieved what we have since returning to the PL. He's one of the PL all-time greatest strikers, and he was playing non-league at the age of 25. There aren't many better.

I'd love to know who you think Edouard is comparable to. Is there anyone past or present who you rate as highly? As @Gerard said, how does he compare to Larsson?

12 minutes ago, Gerard said:

In my experience you wouldn't go far wrong on judging a player by what the fans think. If it's almost universal then chances are they're a player. I remember arguing with someone about Kante's quality in about October 2015 when he was still under the radar. Matey claimed all Kante did was run around a lot and foul people when I watched him every week and could see he was top quality. It was only around the Christmas mark that Kante started getting accolades outside of Leicester.

It's a bit like Maguire and dare I say Chilwell who were/are rated as borderline world class by some observers and whilst both are very good players by opinion of both is they're higher rated at their time here than what they should have been.

💯 been there myself with a few of my Liverpool supporting mates when I was saying just how good mahrez was.... they claimed he wasn’t good enough for a team like Man City... sure enough their tune has changed recently 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

Pay what they want and get him in. 

It's always a gamble, but I reckon this dude could be a real success here... Find a way to utilise him, get him firing and he could be the difference between finishing two, three places higher in the league.

23 minutes ago, Gerard said:

He's most certainly the best striker we've had since Larsson, and Henrik was the definition of world class, borderline 😆.

He's the only player we've had since Henrik who could potentially reach that level, he's not there yet but the raw ingredients are present 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

He's most certainly the best striker we've had since Larsson, and Henrik was the definition of world class, borderline 😆.

He's the only player we've had since Henrik who could potentially reach that level, he's not there yet but the raw ingredients are present 

Van Dijk is world class and it was always as plain as the nose on your face when he was at Celtic he would go on and be one of the top defenders in the world.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

And I'd bet more or less every Celtic fan thought the same. Sometimes it's just obvious when a player oozes quality. I remember Capello jokingly trying to buy an unknown 16yo Messi at half time in a friendly against his side when they played Barcelona.

it's a bit like Ricardo/Chilwell here. Chilwell is probably higher rated by outsiders but more or less every Leicester fan will tell you Ricardo is the better player of the two by a distance. I've always said you won't go far wrong on going onto a forum and reading the opinions of fans who see these players play week in week out before you commit to buying a player.

Yeah very much agreed.