Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Odsonne Edouard

10 minutes ago, SO1 said:

The highest bidder. They don't have the income stream we do. We're hurting but their hurting more.

I agree with the general point, we’ll sell to the highest bidder, whether that’s Leicester or anyone else that makes no difference.

Financially I wouldn’t say we are hurting at all in relative terms though, as I said we’ve sold out on season tickets so it’s pretty much a normal season for us financially and if we make the champions league we’ll end up having a financially even better season than pre-Covid.

38 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

I find it funny seeing Leicester fans debating if Eddy is good enough for them...

Not only is Eddy better than Iheanacho, but he's better than the best version of Vardy.

I understand that money talks and he will be for the off (next season hopefully), but no offence I'm 100% convinced that he will be skipping the Leicester level stepping stone.

This is a guy who has the best strike ratio for France U21's team in history. 11 goals in 6 games, he was thought of as a better prospect that Mbappe when they were coming up, if it wasn't for some silly decisions(sniping someone with an air rifle) he'd most likely still be at PSG, your only chance to get him would be paying well over the odds which I don't see, when he moves it will be to one of the historically big clubs.

fkrCCfd.jpg

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

I get it, you probably though Maguire was better than VVD too, As someone who watches every Celtic game and plenty of EPL I have good knowledge on both, let be honest, you don't.

I don't think you'd find a person in the world who'd have thought Maguire was better then VVD!

But Edouard better then Vardy? Give me a break!

8 minutes ago, Nick said:

Welcome - cheers for posting.

It's great you think that highly of him. Only time will tell if he'd come here for 80k a week on a five year deal.

For the record - nobody on this forum thought Maguire was better than VVD - nobody. And saying that Eddy is better than the best version of Vardy is pretty out there but if you think he has that kind of potential even then I'm interested!

What I do think is that you'll be desperate to hold on to him for another year and to prise him away will cost £38 million plus ad ons I'd have thought though he may not get game time as you put it at one of the 'historic' clubs or bigger top 4 usual PL suspects. He'd play here and have an opportunity to be our main man in a season or two's time.

Brendan I would have though has seen enough of him to know if he wants him and if they worked well together I suppose its a possibility as the player is in our sort of price range. I think you're top outlay is £8 million - a record - was that for Eddy? You'll struggle to turn down circa 35-40 million I'd think?

Welcome again,

N.

Yeah pretty much, £9m he cost and he’s our record transfer. As much as it pains me we get offered £35-40m for him and he’s gone.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

That's fair enough, I certainly didn't expect any Leicester fans to agree with me, but I do think if you did manage to sign him a lot of people would be singing a different tune in a few years, although part of the attachment to Vardy is the unbelievable success you achieved with him leading the line so that would probably still sway most.

I'm trying really hard to figure out the point you're trying to make there? 

He was arguably the best player in that (Premier League winning) team. Not somebody who was peripheral to that success.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nick said:

Welcome - cheers for posting.

It's great you think that highly of him. Only time will tell if he'd come here for 80k a week on a five year deal.

For the record - nobody on this forum thought Maguire was better than VVD - nobody. And saying that Eddy is better than the best version of Vardy is pretty out there but if you think he has that kind of potential even then I'm interested!

What I do think is that you'll be desperate to hold on to him for another year and to prise him away will cost £38 million plus ad ons I'd have thought though he may not get game time as you put it at one of the 'historic' clubs or bigger top 4 usual PL suspects. He'd play here and have an opportunity to be our main man in a season or two's time.

Brendan I would have though has seen enough of him to know if he wants him and if they worked well together I suppose its a possibility as the player is in our sort of price range. I think you're top outlay is £8 million - a record - was that for Eddy? You'll struggle to turn down circa 35-40 million I'd think?

Welcome again,

N.

I meant you's would probably have thought Maguire was better than VVD when he was at Celtic just by virtue of VVD playing in Scotland, in general the standard of competition does matter but sometimes you can tell when a player is special even when they are playing weaker opposition.

I agree with the rest of your post, we will most likely sell for £35m+, from Celtic's point of view selling to you would be better for us as you would be far more likely to sell him on after a few years and activate a sell on clause than say Tierney who went to Arsenal and may stay for the rest of his career.

When I say I think he'll skip the stepping stone and go straight to a traditionally big club, i'm not belittling Leicester it's more to do with the how well some of our recent players are doing, the perceived risk of one of the big boys buying direct from Scottish clubs has greatly decreased over the last 3-4 years with Wanyama, VVD, Armstrong, Robertson, Fraser, McGinn & Tierney all doing pretty well.

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah pretty much, £9m he cost and he’s our record transfer. As much as it pains me we get offered £35-40m for him and he’s gone.

Do you think there's anything to this. Is the Herald Scotland legit like The Telegraph. Or clickbait like the Mail or Record. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I wouldn’t think so no lol 

Who knows how his career will turn out in the long term but I don’t think any reasonable person would say he’s better than Vardy at this stage.

I believe myself to be very reasonable.

Vardy suits Leicester to a tee, I don't think he'd do as well as Eddy at a elite level team, Eddy has more in his locker for me.

16 minutes ago, HEGGSY said:

You’re comparing a bloke with over 100 PL goals, a premier league winners medal, best player in the clubs history, someone who didn’t even play league football until he was 25, yet still achieved what he has, to, whilst being a very talented player, made no senior appearances for PSG, considering your claim that he was a better prospect than Mbappe, and has since played for Toulouse and Celtic, to even say he’s better than the best version of Vardy is quite frankly, insulting.

From your point of view it's insulting, from mine it's true.

Time will tell.

French Eddy IS NOT better than Vardy at this stage of his career, he has the potential to be but right now? Not a chance. Saying as much is saying that you believe Edouard would have finished EPL top scorer last year.....

• Like 1

Just now, Interested observer said:

Vardy suits Leicester to a tee, I don't think he'd do as well as Eddy at a elite level team, Eddy has more in his locker for me.

Whatever you opinion is on his potential, it's moot point as it's all if buts and maybes, he could be better than Messi eventually but this won't happen while at Celtic, ever. No real test to maximise potential for any player while there.

He'll clearly not be no. 1 striker immediately at an elite club let alone little old Leicester.

You comparing a player playing in a sub standard League to a player who just won the golden boot in arguably the best League on the planet. 

A few Celtic posters seem quite rational in comparison.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

I find it funny seeing Leicester fans debating if Eddy is good enough for them...

Not only is Eddy better than Iheanacho, but he's better than the best version of Vardy.

I understand that money talks and he will be for the off (next season hopefully), but no offence I'm 100% convinced that he will be skipping the Leicester level stepping stone.

This is a guy who has the best strike ratio for France U21's team in history. 11 goals in 6 games, he was thought of as a better prospect that Mbappe when they were coming up, if it wasn't for some silly decisions(sniping someone with an air rifle) he'd most likely still be at PSG, your only chance to get him would be paying well over the odds which I don't see, when he moves it will be to one of the historically big clubs.

42 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

I get it, you probably though Maguire was better than VVD too, As someone who watches every Celtic game and plenty of EPL I have good knowledge on both, let be honest, you don't.

38 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

Yes better, there's no version of Vardy that I would swap for the current version of Eddy, i'm not saying this lightly, I didn't say this stuff about Leigh Griffiths or Gary Hooper, or even Dembele, Eddy is special player.

31 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

That's fair enough, I certainly didn't expect any Leicester fans to agree with me, but I do think if you did manage to sign him a lot of people would be singing a different tune in a few years, although part of the attachment to Vardy is the unbelievable success you achieved with him leading the line so that would probably still sway most.

8 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

Thank you. This really brightened up my day.

I'm very interested to hear who you would compare Edouard with in terms of ability, and potential. Who do you think is his equal? Anyone past or present. And his potential. Who do you think he has the potential to be as good as, if anyone?

20 minutes ago, martyn said:

He was arguably the best player in that (Premier League winning) team. Not somebody who was peripheral to that success.

Agreed. It seems to me like the argument is Vardy was lucky to be in that team - could have been anyone. Sounds like an expert to me.

3 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Thank you. This really brightened up my day.

I'm very interested to hear who you would compare Edouard with in terms of ability, and potential. Who do you think is his equal? Anyone past or present. And his potential. Who do you think he has the potential to be as good as, if anyone?

Ronaldo

22 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

I meant you's would probably have thought Maguire was better than VVD when he was at Celtic just by virtue of VVD playing in Scotland, in general the standard of competition does matter but sometimes you can tell when a player is special even when they are playing weaker opposition.

I agree with the rest of your post, we will most likely sell for £35m+, from Celtic's point of view selling to you would be better for us as you would be far more likely to sell him on after a few years and activate a sell on clause than say Tierney who went to Arsenal and may stay for the rest of his career.

When I say I think he'll skip the stepping stone and go straight to a traditionally big club, i'm not belittling Leicester it's more to do with the how well some of our recent players are doing, the perceived risk of one of the big boys buying direct from Scottish clubs has greatly decreased over the last 3-4 years with Wanyama, VVD, Armstrong, Robertson, Fraser, McGinn & Tierney all doing pretty well.

Someone call the Samaritans, Chris Sutton has been on the meth again.

1 hour ago, Interested observer said:

You do realise Vardy has just won the Premier Leagues Golden Boot whereas your man has just scored a hat trick against a really, really poor side?  The standard of football is incomparable.

31 minutes ago, martyn said:

My point is even if Eddy proved to be a better overall player, fans will always remember players who had incredible success more fondly, and the success Vardy had will be almost impossible to match.

For example I have some happier memories of average players like Scott McDonald than I do Di Canio & Jorge Cadete coz we failed to win the league with them.

50 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

I really hope we do manage to get him, you can just tell from the way he plays both in the SPL and Europa League that he will handle the PL no problem. I dread to think how many him and Vardy could score together, I think they'd work well as a front two.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

My point is even if Eddy proved to be a better overall player, fans will always remember players who had incredible success more fondly, and the success Vardy had will be almost impossible to match.

For example I have some happier memories of average players like Scott McDonald than I do Di Canio & Jorge Cadete coz we failed to win the league with them.

But it's a ridiculous point, because you're using that notion of "fondness" as a stick with which to beat down Jamie Vardy's ability as a footballer. The only reason we had that level of success was due to Jamie Vardy being an integral part of that team, and him displaying the ability required of a Premier League winning centre forward. Whilst there has been 1 title, he has maintained that level over the course of 4 or 5 seasons now. 

We're fond of Vardy not only because he has been part of a golden era, but also because he is, and has been by any metric, an elite level striker at the top level.

It's all good and well harping on about how much Premier League you watch, but through your posts here, you've clearly demonstrated how little you actually know about Jamie Vardy. And that is nothing to do with Odsonne Edouard.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Interested observer said:

Would agree with this, it is quite true that points of great joy multiply the value played by those involved. It may well be that Edouard is destined for greatness as you suggest, will watch with interest.

As it stands right now, I cannot form any opinion that is of value with regards to Edouard, just as any opinion of non-Leicester fans with regards to Vardy are rarely of any value.

Vardy will always be a figure of legend to Leicester fans, few players for other teams would ever have such a relatable back story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Interested observer said:

I'm not on here trolling so for you to try to get me banned for an opinion that differs from yours is kinda pathetic, it's a forum designed for discussion... Discuss.

Fair enough 

Do you have green hair ? 

Edited by Mike Oxlong