Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Odsonne Edouard

Leicester City join Arsenal, Everton and Napoli in the race for Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard

boss Brendan Rodgers wants a reunion with his former striker Odsonne Edouard who was named Scotland’s player of the season on Saturday.

Rodgers was in charge at Celtic Park when Edouard joined from Paris St Germain in 2017 and the 22-year-old has now scored 62 goals in 126 games for the club.

To help reach Celtic’s £35million valuation for the French under-21 international, the Foxes will listen to offers of £20million for Kelechi Iheanacho who started his career at .

Edouard has been linked with a number of clubs in England and Italy including Arsenal, Everton and Napoli but Rodgers is hoping the lure of Champions League football and his own relationship with the player will together persuade him to come to the King Power.

Though Premier League clubs were once wary of signing players from the SPL the recent success of Virgil van Dijk and John McGinn has made it easier to convince Premier League chairmen.

Edouard was named Scottish Football Writers' Player of the Year for the 2019/20 season 

Edouard scored 28 goals before the Scottish league season closed and was named their Football Writers’ Association Player of the Year ahead of Celtic team-mate Callum McGregor, Rangers' Alfredo Morelos and Lawrence Shankland of Dundee United.

He has won six major trophies at Celtic including the 2017/18 SPL title and two League Cups under Rodgers before he left for Leicester.

Edited by HankMarvin

I’d happily have him here, highly rated, linked with other big clubs and has had a fantastic season.

Selling Iheanacho though just as he’s finally hit his gears would be stupid.

Plus Edouard is more of a proper centre forward, we could do with another player who can play up front but also on the wing like Perez.

If we change formation he’d be a perfect signing, if we’re going to continue with 4-2-3-1 though I’d prefer someone like Thuram, Plea, Gerard Moreno or Sarr if Watford go down.

• Like 2

His stats are great but he's in a shite league. There's only 2 years left on his contract so I doubt Celtic would be able to command that for him. Double swoop for him and Ajer?

Definitely wouldn't sell Iheanacho just yet - there's plenty of dead weight we need to get rid of that could raise enough cash. Sell Slimani and Silva to the idiots who bought Musa. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

His stats are great but he's in a shite league. There's only 2 years left on his contract so I doubt Celtic would be able to command that for him. Double swoop for him and Ajer?

Definitely wouldn't sell Iheanacho just yet - there's plenty of dead weight we need to get rid of that could raise enough cash. Sell Slimani and Silva to the idiots who bought Musa. 

In fairness I'm pretty sure they're happy with Musa! So it was a winwinwin

He’s too good an opportunity to turn down, this summer is probs the last one before he can become ridiculously expensive. He’s proven he can play in Europe which is a massive bonus.

its a throw up between him, Jonathan David and Leon Bailey for me, all excellent players within that sub £30m price range

Edited by lcfc sheff

Shouldn't sell Kelechi.

I know we all want Vardy to be playing every game but he's not getting any younger and the time will come where he won't be able to. 

With European games most likely on the way next season as well we need to be adding to our squad, not replacing.

• Like 1

I’m genuinely surprised people are all Nacho’d up...

Hes a great lad and his play has come on leaps and bounds under Rogers and he’s scored a few goals. He’s not a top four striker though. Man City knew and we all know it. He’s not a Vardy replacement. He struggles as a lone striker in a 4-1-4-1 

ruthless I know, but I’d sell - he’s not the player we need in my opinion. If Vardy was injured tomorrow and we had 12 games to seal CL - I doubt we would score enough goals to hold a top four place. 

Having said all all that we have no depth in strikers so if he were to stay and be third choice and give him an extra season to see if he can turn it around further, I love the fella and have no issues with that.

• Like 4

Odsonne Edouard - now we're talking.

I'd much rather have him and Nacho, we don't have much strength in depth up front so it would make sense to keep both. We'll need depth when we have the CL to worry about too next season. Hopefully we can finally get rid of Slimani and free up £80k a week first.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 1

As others have mentioned, we’ve got plenty of expensive players to move on before we even entertain selling iheanacho - slimani, Silva, Mendy off the wages will contribute massively. 

no reason why we can’t have vardy, iheanacho, edouard and Perez competing for place, besides vardy the rest can play anywhere from the wings to even as a no.10 which is what Nacho prefers.

just think how competitive we can be in all the cup games!

25 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

He has come on so much and I have a feeling he is going to be outstanding next season.

Do not sell he has really started to show what he is all about

What gives that impression? I think we’ve seen the best earlier in the season when he was fighting for his place, I’m not sure he has anymore. He started our last 4 games and wasn’t up to it unfortunately, useful as an impact sub if his minds right.

• Like 1

I'd have him here but don't sell Kel. 

My fear for next Season is that we will struggle with European football and Premier League. Not to mention the other two cups. 

I wanna be Edouard.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't know how I feel bringing an SPL striker here and selling are current number 2. Seems a massive gamble and we have seen this move south backfire numerous times. Rather have all three then we have Kel if this does backfire. 

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I’m genuinely surprised people are all Nacho’d up...

Hes a great lad and his play has come on leaps and bounds under Rogers and he’s scored a few goals. He’s not a top four striker though. Man City knew and we all know it. He’s not a Vardy replacement. He struggles as a lone striker in a 4-1-4-1 

ruthless I know, but I’d sell - he’s not the player we need in my opinion. If Vardy was injured tomorrow and we had 12 games to seal CL - I doubt we would score enough goals to hold a top four place. 

Having said all all that we have no depth in strikers so if he were to stay and be third choice and give him an extra season to see if he can turn it around further, I love the fella and have no issues with that.

Iheanacho has improved a lot this last year and has proved to be PL class but he doesn't have the tools to be top six standard IMO.

If we can get a striker we want to support Vardy whether that be on the pitch as a two or his understudy then we should take it. Iheanacho has had one decent season since he's been here and terrible the rest of the time and is probably at his peak value for us. If we can get anywhere near our money back on him then it's usually good business (a few exceptions) if you can sell a player no matter who it is at their peak value.

If you're confident in your scouting and negotiating skills at the club then don't be afraid to cash in and roll the dice again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We'll need all 3 next season with European and Cup football.

Only if we play 2 up top every game. Otherwise you cannot keep 3 top class strikers happy. I'd rather we focus on a right winger first anyway, especially as Perez is supposed to be a versatile centre forward as well to compete with Vardy and Kelechi. 

If we have funds after getting a RW and a centre back then maybe we could look at what we do with our striker options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Only if we play 2 up top every game. Otherwise you cannot keep 3 top class strikers happy. I'd rather we focus on a right winger first anyway, especially as Perez is supposed to be a versatile centre forward as well to compete with Vardy and Kelechi. 

If we have funds after getting a RW and a centre back then maybe we could look at what we do with our striker options.

True, depends on if Rodgers has 3 at the back for some (or all) games next season. I can see us signing him then loaning him out tbh, I reckon it'll be too good an opportunity for us to pass up with Vardy getting on.

We've needed a class right winger for 2 years now:nono:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

True, depends on if Rodgers has 3 at the back for some (or all) games next season. I can see us signing him then loaning him out tbh, I reckon it'll be too good an opportunity for us to pass up with Vardy getting on.

We've needed a class right winger for 2 years now:nono:

If we sign him (I'd be tempted) then I can see Iheanacho being moved on which would be a shame given his renaissance