Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brighton - Post Match Thread - 0-0.

Schmeichel, player of the match again, says it all. 

I just find it disappointing when the players can't fall into a managers plan. 

Ihenacho starting was a positive selection, Gray definitely made his chance to start from the Watford game, Mendy though? I've never seen him play well enough to be considered to start, so it's optimistic of Rodgers to give him that.

Nothing worked for anybody, and you could see how many players heads dropped after 20 minutes because it wasn't working.

Players levels and abilities aside, this bore draw does sit with Rodgers. 

Fair play, he tried something different, but substitutions and changes were justified at the 20 minute mark, let alone half time, but he thought he'd stick with his system until 70 minutes, it was too late. 

As always, I can only hope it's something he knows, that I don't. 

6 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Rodgers has the fans on his side. As 2 of the last 3 managers have found, the quickest way to lose the crowd is to take off Vardy no matter how much sense it might make.

There won't be a better time to try it. 

Actually sick of it now. This is the same dross we were playing under Puel, ZERO creativity. Why on earth would you start TWO CDM's at home against Brighton, when you're in contention for the Champions League. 

- Making substitutions around 70 minutes was too late.

- Handball decision aside, we've had 4 shots on target in 2 games, which is pathetic.

- We have no creativity going forward, it's just fking shit.

• Like 2

We started slowly and gave the opposition the initiative. 

Once they got a foothold in the game, it got harder and harder to get ourselves going. 

We must go at teams from the off, and if they start to fade, we've had 5 subs to use. 

There's absolutely no point in playing Vardy in that formation in the 1st half. 

I still think we'll get what we need to ensure top 4.

Its just that we're making a right pigs ear of it atm. 

It is the Leicester way, after all

• Like 1

Rodgers said he played Iheanacho to get someone close to Vardy, but at the same time moved Maddison and the two wide players further away, not to mention the two defensive central midfielders as well. Such a strange decision.

10 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Could we just bring him on for corners? 
Only asking as he was awful against Watford hence him being dropped.

TBF who wasnt awful against watford if not kevin who chillwell?? Either way maddison needs dropping off corner duty.

I don’t think we looked unfit but we lacked sharpness and zip. When you play with a high tempo, it doesn’t have to be long balls. Just move the ball quicker. Brighton looked so tired last twenty and we physically look strong but just had zero invention.

If I was Rodgers I’d be say before the commencement of the season end. It’s five hard working tempo filled performances which achieve your target. Give everything to start with because the likelyhood is other teams will drop points if you keep the gap. Instead we looked like the cast of Dawn of the Dead beginning games so far 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 minutes ago, dobbylcfc said:

TBF who wasnt awful against watford if not kevin who chillwell?? Either way maddison needs dropping off corner duty.

Regarding corners, a better option than our current one would be to bang it back to Schmeichel, at least we'll retain possession. 

Figured that starting Wilf and Papy was to keep it tight whilst Brighton went for it in the first 30 mins/ first half, which they were always going to do after beating Arsenal.

This sort of worked, but imagined the second part, where Brighton tired and we seized the initiative was a bit disappointing.

Don`t forget, this isn't normal times, we absolutely must rotate more than we normally would.

33 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Rodgers has the fans on his side. As 2 of the last 3 managers have found, the quickest way to lose the crowd is to take off Vardy no matter how much sense it might make.

In fairness, the fans aren't there right now... No better time to try see if it works. Not like the fans have any input beyond what they can do on matchdays.

Guest An Sionnach

Once again I refer you to Liverpool and Celtic fans for their judgment of Rodgers. He fails to respond to obvious signs that the opposition have found ways to neutralise his teams.

Edited by An Sionnach

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Figured that starting Wilf and Papy was to keep it tight whilst Brighton went for it in the first 30 mins/ first half, which they were always going to do after beating Arsenal.

This sort of worked, but imagined the second part, where Brighton tired and we seized the initiative was a bit disappointing.

Don`t forget, this isn't normal times, we absolutely must rotate more than we normally would.

Exactly, I find it amazing he started the both of them, but at least change it at half time ffs.

To all those bed wetters finishing 7th is still a good season.

Sure we might miss out on Europe but we need to be realistic that our style of play has been sussed out somewhat and we're not going to change it. 

Teams know how to play against us and we are insanely predictable and we can't play Villa every week.

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

To all those bed wetters finishing 7th is still a good season.

Sure we might miss out on Europe but we need to be realistic that our style of play has been sussed out somewhat and we're not going to change it. 

Teams know how to play against us and we are insanely predictable and we can't play Villa every week.

We lost against them over 2 legs...

• Sad 1

Listening to Rodgers post match makes me think he knows he ****ed up. He was trying to be too clever and underestimated Brighton’s resilience. We made it easy for them to get a point, which is worrying when we’ve got sides coming up capable of scoring goals, any half decent attack would have had a field day against us in those two previous games!

The way i see it is this if were offered this position at the start of the season lets be honest we would have snapped hands off to be where we are. Top 7 is a good season champions league or europa league Still euro mights under the lights. I still think we’ll Finnish in the champions league spots with the games being played behind closed doors anything can happen i dont think vards will finish top goal scorer as he feeds off the crowds. But we’ll be ok once we have got up to speed with the way the season is now being played.

In Brendan i trust.

Watching "tunnel cam" they all seemed up for it so not quite sure what happened between the tunnel and the pitch! Kasper was interesting, he was pumping them up asking them to push and show intensity, telling Chilly not to be afraid to shoot. I thought that was telling, maybe confidence is an issue with the youngsters? Maddison certainly seemed frustrated things were not going his way and heads dropped. I would take him off set piece delivery and try Chilly - he takes them for England. 70 minutes was too late for subs. We need to play Praet, Youri, Barnes or Perez. They should not all be sat on the bench. Gray wasn't the worse but is better coming on as an impact sub.  That was on Brendan though unfortunately.  He needs to stop messing with the team and formation. Players cannot gel if its constantly changed. Thought it was interesting Brendan sat on the seats and wasn't up shouting instructions as he usually does?

No team looks amazing apart from Man City but they do not have long to get up to speed. Pick the strongest team and try not to be too clever with formations. It's going to take grit and guts and they need to play with desire to want it. Their heads dropped.

Edited by Hales
  • Like 1

I can’t stand attitudes like “let’s be realistic” or “let’s add some perspective”...

We’ve been in the top four pretty much all season, we went on an incredible 8 game winning streak and looked like world beaters. Since then we’ve fallen on our arses and have regressed to the stage where our form is relegation form. To finish outside of the top four now would be a failure. I can accept it if we had been in and out of the top four throughout the season, but the fact we’ve been there all season and built up a handsome gap to fifth let along sixth, we should have kicked on.

We’ve crumbled, we won’t finish in the top four and there needs to be a change in mentality for next season. The potential money that is going to be spent by the big boys this year could well cast us away for the foreseeable, to relinquish this opportunity would be criminal, and to relinquish it from such a commanding position makes it even worse. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Has anyone mentioned that Brighton drew away at Wolves and Sheffield United before lockdown? They’re no pushovers and rarely get turned over. Having said that, the City team which finished would have tested them more. And if Stephens had got an obvious 2nd yellow for the foul on Maddison later in the game they would have struggled more.

The Leicester City squad are humble enough to accept they must improve, Brendan Rodgers said after his side's goalless draw with Brighton.

The stalemate at an empty King Power Stadium means City have still won just twice in the Premier League since New Year’s Day, putting them 15th in the 10-game form table.

Their cushion inside the top four could now be cut to six points, down from 14 points before Christmas.

“We’ll certainly want to be better, there’s no denying that,” Rodgers admitted after the draw with the Seagulls.

“Our performance level needs to, and we want it to, improve. The players are giving everything. We have to be better than what we’ve shown, there’s no question about that.

"We’re humble enough to accept and to put the work in to try to be better.

“We sit where we are on merit. You’re never going to get through the whole season being absolutely amazing, especially a young team like ourselves that is growing.

“But we’ve also shown a really good mentality in the first two games. We played Watford, a tough team to play against, which they’ve shown since Nigel (Pearson) has been there, and we were a few minutes away from winning that game.

"And then tonight against a team that have quality and had a fantastic win at the weekend, we arguably could have won the game as well.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-brighton-brendan-rodgers-reaction-4257244

I didn't think the "players gave everything" it was a very Puel like performance with no intensity it looked they either thought the season was done and dusted or it was just another pre-season game. 

The players themselves are lacking in form with misplaced and over/under hit passes, little or no invention or 'risk' taking with forward breaking passes.

As for 'we arguably could have won the game' well we could more easily have lost it just like the Brighton game.

They need a massive change in their approach to the games and so many of them need to up their performance levels both physically and technically.

But we move on Chelsea will be a good chance to show they can compete with the teams at the top.

I'm sorry but Brendan has to take the lion's share of the blame at the moment. The players are good but they certainly are not showing it - and haven't for some time.

We are in desperate need of a new manager bounce without having to fire BR. That would be enough to secure CL football for next year.

My hope of qualifying simply because our players are better than most other teams has now changed into a hope that when we play "better" teams it'll help us to create chances "on the break"

I'm disappointed after last night and entering a depression. Why? Why? Why?