Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brighton - Post Match Thread - 0-0.

Guest An Sionnach
2 minutes ago, twister said:

Since the liverpool thrashing something has seemed seriously off, anybody who has played the game can sense when  a team suddenly goes from clicking to looking like strangers and at times that has seemed the case in recent months. Somehow despite all this the team with seven games to goal is in front to get into the top four, but its now or never to turn this form around,otherwise it maybe thursday night football which would be a huge collapse after the start of the season.

Most concerning of all has been Vardy, his form has completely fallen off a cliff,  he has gone from looking  a world beater, to looking the vardy of season 1 where he looked shot of confidence.

I think Jamie has once again had to adapt to a tippy tappy style of football and to his credit has made a decent job of it this season. OK if you play it as well as Man. City that's fine but we don't. Last night they put the fast as lightening midget Lampty on him which negated his speed advantage. Then trying to out muscle Brighton's giant central defenders is not going to work either for even a man as hard as he is. All in all Potter did a good job on us and Rodgers had no answer.

We need to play two up front and stop playing me to you and you to me at the back and get the ball forward and into the box so we can at least have a shot at goal.

By the time we get the ball forward we have 11 players to break down and little chance of a shot let alone scoring a goal.

We are struggling and if we fcuk our league position up and play this kind of crap in the FA Cup and finish up with nothing the King Power will be in melt down.

2 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I must admit, in general for years now we’ve looked our best when we just go for it. I think we’ve been burnt a few times against the top top teams when we’ve been naive and it’s created a safety first mindset in most of our recent managers. We need a bit more swagger against most teams. We are Leicester, we can fvcking beat you. I don’t think many of us would mind if we went all out but lost?

Partly agree, there are times where we need to play conservatively and at least try to gain a point. I thought the Watford game would have been wise to take that approach as it's a potential banana skin. However, we made Brighton look like Man City last night, which if we're aspiring for greater things, is unacceptable.

For our striker not to touch the ball once in 30 minutes is frankly poor, effectively aside from his presence on the pitch, we were playing with 10 men... this is not necessarily Vardys problem, but he could also look to see what more he can do. We're crying out for a striker who can offer a different dimension, to hold the ball up and bring other players into the mix. Having Nacho and Vardy play doesn't solve our problems right now.

Brendan needs to look at our approach and prep for the coming games, not wanting him out the door, but things do need to improve.

57 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Barnes steps inside because Rodgers tells him to not because Chilwell forces him to. Apparently our tactic is we move the ball up to the left side of their box with barnes then he gives it to one of madders or chilwell to cross and moves inside. 

You know Brendan's instructions? Excellent, tell us what else he told the team yesterday?

Barnes has THE most impact when he can turn and run at the defender.  but we often give him the ball when he is static and has no space to run into.  

How often did we use to get the ball to Mahrez early so he had time and space to run.....  We never do that with Barnes. 

Chilwell often carries the ball himself, into those advance positions, gets stuck with nowhere to go and offloads it to Barnes. (Usually in a really tight situation)

Of course Barnes moves inside, he isn't going to just stand there and say "no mate, sorry, you go round me". 

Fuchs doesn't do it, because he doesn't have chilwells legs or engine anymore, but it often leaves more space for Barnes when Fuchs plays. 

Its the lack of urgency that worries me the most. Happy to keep passing it round the defence with only minutes to go instead of trying to force something.  Walking off slowly for substitutions/ strolling over to take set pieces  as if we are comfortably winning the game. Just play like theyre happy to settle for a point and couldnt give a ****. Dont understand why Chilwell wont overlap Barnes to stretch the pitch and provide a crossing oppurtunity either, just all so safe.  

Edited by South Shire Fox

4 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

Walking off slowly for substitutions/ strolling over to take set pieces  as if we are comfortably winning the game.

Maddison walking in slow motion over to his corners does my head in every match, thankfully its a little less noticeable with not being there and the game being played at walking pace anyway.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I think Jamie has once again had to adapt to a tippy tappy style of football and to his credit has made a decent job of it this season. OK if you play it as well as Man. City that's fine but we don't. Last night they put the fast as lightening midget Lampty on him which negated his speed advantage. Then trying to out muscle Brighton's giant central defenders is not going to work either for even a man as hard as he is. All in all Potter did a good job on us and Rodgers had no answer.

It appears everything that goes wrong is down to our lack of ability/poor judgement.

1) Brighton followed up an excellent performance/win against Arsenal with a draw at Leicester.

2) Potters team talk was as simple as win we stay up. Probably the biggest motivator for putting it all in.

3)We could have lost. We didn't.

4)It was never going to be easy. It wasn't.

Its not always what we don't do.....its often what the opposition do.

Personally Kasper, Evans, Cags, Mendy (Yes Mendy)Barnes when he came on, all did ok.....the rest were all below par,but played as well as they were allowed....we certainly didn't deserve to win.....but it could have been a whole lot worse....

3 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Maddison walking in slow motion over to his corners does my head in every match, thankfully its a little less noticeable with not being there and the game being played at walking pace anyway.

Wouldn’t mind if the deliveries found the head of one of our CB’s.

57 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I get what your saying about Man City, but if you see any team that plays tippy tappy football their CF works the channels and comes deep to create space for the wide men and the Center mids. Unfortunately we know Vardys game isn’t very good at build up play or creating space. So if Leicester play slightly less than 100% vardy doesn’t get the ball, in turn that means we have no space to attack and then games slow up. Not sure what the solution is , as cant drop vardy as he is guaranteed goals, but at the same time, would we score more goals as a team if we had a different style of forward? 

• Like 1

A problem we've had all season, and longer to be honest, is getting shots on target, just had a quick look and last 8 games:

Brighton 2

Watford 2

Aston Villa 7

Birmingham 2

Norwich 4

Man City 3

Wolves 3

Chelsea 4

That's pretty poor for a side chasing champions league and is supposed to be an 'attacking' team. We've never been ones for lots of shots at goal, and relied heavily on Vardy being ruthless. A lot was made of chance creation ratio earlier in the season and it was said it would catch up with us, it is right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I must admit, in general for years now we’ve looked our best when we just go for it. I think we’ve been burnt a few times against the top top teams when we’ve been naive and it’s created a safety first mindset in most of our recent managers. We need a bit more swagger against most teams. We are Leicester, we can fvcking beat you. I don’t think many of us would mind if we went all out but lost? X 

..I really do not think you have been watching closely enough!!!

Absolutely nothing to do with the results against Man. City or Liverpool, which has left us fearful. The opposition, like Brighton, like Watford like any astute team sets.Up against us and dictates how the game will be played.

Look at the way we are pressed, we do not have the technical skills in the back four to beat the press, or they allow the ball to go to one of our player who has previously been identified as a weakness and puts pressure on him.

Attempting to pass through lines is all very well but have we the personnel to do so.on a consistent basis, otherwise it becomes constant turnovers.

The astute managers know how to play us, know how to shut us down, attempting to go full out against these teams will leave us open to be picked off.

Edited by sacreblueits442

It was quite clear yesterday that with playing 2 cdm that we had no one to play that ball to someone who then makes the assist tielemans comes on and you can see his first fort is to make that forward pass i just can't quite believe Rodgers started with that team 

Guest ttfn
27 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

A problem we've had all season, and longer to be honest, is getting shots on target, just had a quick look and last 8 games:

Brighton 2

Watford 2

Aston Villa 7

Birmingham 2

Norwich 4

Man City 3

Wolves 3

Chelsea 4

That's pretty poor for a side chasing champions league and is supposed to be an 'attacking' team. We've never been ones for lots of shots at goal, and relied heavily on Vardy being ruthless. A lot was made of chance creation ratio earlier in the season and it was said it would catch up with us, it is right.

Genuinely surprised to see it was two yesterday because I can’t remember either of them? Chilwell had a shot blocked at one point but I don’t remember Ryan making a save.

3 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Genuinely surprised to see it was two yesterday because I can’t remember either of them? Chilwell had a shot blocked at one point but I don’t remember Ryan making a save.

Me too, it's what was listed on BBC sport page. I remember a Soyuncu header that looped into Ryan's hands, did that count?

46 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Surely its good to get on with things, keep the tempo up and put the opposition under pressure though? His lackadaisical ways just lets the opposition off any of that.

Quite. Also Maddison’s pedestrian stroll to the corner flag (normally clapping his hands above his head to the crowd) is symptomatic of the way we are playing right now - slow and ponderous, always allowing the opposition to take up their positions and get settled. We need to move the ball around faster and consequently force the opposition defence out of shape. We are so easy to defend against it’s unreal. It’s Puelball all over again.

34 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..I really do not think you have been watching closely enough!!!

Absolutely nothing to do with the results against Man. City or Liverpool, which has left us fearful. The opposition, like Brighton, like Watford like any astute team sets.Up against us and dictates how the game will be played.

Look at the way we are pressed, we do not have the technical skills in the back four to beat the press, or they allow the ball to go to one of our player who has previously been identified as a weakness and puts pressure on him.

Attempting to pass through lines is all very well but have we the personnel to do so.on a consistent basis, otherwise it becomes constant turnovers.

The astute managers know how to play us, know how to shut us down, attempting to go full out against these teams will leave us open to be picked off.

.. thanks for your response!!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cecchini1976 said:

Well in my 43 years of being a leicester fan, this is only the second time we have had an excellent chance of champions league football, so wouldn’t say we are poor, depends on your expectations. And most teams have been poor since the restart as players are clearly not match fit, but maybe you are comparing us playing to empty stadiums as the same as full and being fully sharp to not being sharp? 

anyway i hope we stay poor if it means we are challenging the big 6 every year 

We wont be if we stay poor, which is the point.

Our form since the man city game is bottom 7.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2019&min=18&max=31

You sure you want us to stay poor?

1 hour ago, Always Next Year said:

We need to play two up front and stop playing me to you and you to me at the back and get the ball forward and into the box so we can at least have a shot at goal.

By the time we get the ball forward we have 11 players to break down and little chance of a shot let alone scoring a goal.

We are struggling and if we fcuk our league position up and play this kind of crap in the FA Cup and finish up with nothing the King Power will be in melt down.

Me to you and you to me. Chuckleball?

6 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I think subbing Iheanacho off was the wrong decision. He seemed to be the only one able to actually pass forwards at times, had good close control, got involved decently in the build up. What we missed in the last 20 minutes was something to connect play inwards and Iheanacho had that imo.

In a game where Vardy isn't seeing anything of the ball, perhaps it's best to take him off instead? We struggle to get it up to him when the opposition stifles our build up, perhaps Iheanacho would have been able to drop a bit deeper and pull Perez and Barnes into play. I know it seems counterproductive to take off our best goal threat, but there's no point in having him there if we can't get the ball to him.

Their fullback Lamptey was brilliant.

It was very odd, I agree.

Its as if the subs are done to manage the players morale, rather than for tactical needs.  Maybe pre agreed pitch time or something.  They are predictable, the players that usually start but dont start, are almost a cert to come on as sub.

When Rodgers came in the first thing he told Vardy is to stay as far forward as he can and not come back to get the ball. This was simple, but extremely effective after Puels useless tactics. 

It worked because the 3 men behind each carried their own individual threat and it was impossible to mark all of them out the game. Furthermore, they had genuinely quality on the ball that we have lacked in previous years. 

Now, the 3 men behind dont have an end product and that old deep line to stop Vardy has reappeared again. 

There has to genuinely be a Plan B in games that isnt just sit patiently and wait for an opening. We havent got that spark at the minute to do that. Chilwell's goal against Watford probably justified the patient approach but its clear we wont always get out of jail like that.

Games will just pass us by against smaller clubs playing for a point. It might be the old Puel situation where we end up playing alot better against "bigger" sides. But that still isnt good enough if we want to justify our position and not slump over the line.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

70v9a9kqsu651.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Someone posted this on Reddit, it's our "average position" for each player during the game. Demonstrates the lack of width the team showed last night. Pretty eye--opening if you ask me, and not sure why there wasn't more of an emphasis to get in down the sides.

That's hideous. I need to cleanse my palate with the equivalent map from earlier in the season where we were structured absolutely perfectly, with the wingers slighly inside but ahead of the full backs and the midfielders perfectly positioned.

Let's go back to that.

28 minutes ago, Beechey said:

That's hideous. I need to cleanse my palate with the equivalent map from earlier in the season where we were structured absolutely perfectly, with the wingers slighly inside but ahead of the full backs and the midfielders perfectly positioned.

Let's go back to that.

Compare that to this map of our average position against Arsenal, where we won 2-0:

LeicesterArsenal.PNG.af0cb1bcc4914761346c8e1bdf4ca4af.PNG

The above is almost perfectly balanced; a high line, Ndidi marshaling the centre of the pitch and Vardy supported by two wide forwards who are willing to run past him when needed.

So what's going on at the club? Don't know but it's a bit worrying. I definitely think fitness is a key issue as is playing in hotter temperatures. When the Euros / World Cup is on, you often find the afternoon games are quite lethargic whereas the late night games tend to be the most full throttle. Brighton also statistically had the best distance run in their first round of games, suggesting they came back sharper than we did. But none of that explains not being in the right shape or standing in the right positions.

I think one issue when playing a possession based game that relies on passing your way through is that when it works you look amazing, but when it doesn't you look hopeless. Wenger's Arsenal had that look about them over the years and even teams like Man City and Barcelona it happens to at some point. That said it was notable we were really safety first in both games so far, we are taking an extra touch when it isn't necessary and it kills our moves before they start, which isn't helping at all. Many of our players have lost their early season form and confidence and it spreads throughout the team. Add to that that our most consistent and best player is out injured, and well we look a bit shite.

They say form is temporary and class is permanent so hopefully we can sort it out soon. We have dropped points but at least we have picked some up. Also Kasper, Cags and Evans have been imperious in both games so at least we have something to work with.

• Like 1

The distinct lack of quality down either flank is proving to be really problematic. We just never ever look like creating any chances. Our build up play to the final third is pretty decent/fine, but once we get there we have no clue.