Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brighton - Post Match Thread - 0-0.

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Where the fcuk was Maddison playing today? Basically played 4-2-2-2 but Maddison wasn't at any point pushing in to the 2 behind Vardy and Iheanacho and taking up some space in the flanks that you need to do, hideously ill thought out game plan, fuming.

He's always poor when he's pushed out wide, but in all honesty he's been pretty poor recently in general, even before the break. I know we talk about him as an England international etc. But he's got a long way to go if he wants to become a top player.

I blame Rodgers more than any of the team though, the set up, the late subs, not changing it, it was all shocking.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Playing with nine men would leave most teams fighting relegation.

The problem is we think we are actually better than we are. We do not have one player who can grab the game by the scuff of it’s neck and control it. The media speculating that 4 or 5 players are targets for the top clubs must be watching different games.

1 minute ago, foxinsox said:

There are the Euros next summer. There may simply be too many matches to fit in.

1 hour ago, Hales said:

Brendan looked beyond stressed watching that so why the hell wait 70 minutes to bring on a sub? Chuck all 5 on for god sake! No one seemed willing to take the charge and run at them.

To me that was not a happy team tonight, the look on some of their faces. Did they not agree with the tactics?

Who cares if they don't like the tactics. Do what your told and play hard. If they can't give it everything than find another job.:)

The thing that pisses me off the most was how we were outplayed and outworked in the first half. The lack of creativity and the balls to risk and take chances drives me nuts.

42 minutes ago, Eskay said:

Given madders long enough. He can't dictate a game and is so weak physically still despite having plenty of time to adapt to this level. 

So over rated. Tilemans was better at moving the ball when he came on. We were so brittle in attack that all we did was pass backwards. 

I think there's a reason Maddison is no longer mentioned in transfer rumors - the league has taken notice that he's fallen off a cliff.

4 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

The problem is we think we are actually better than we are. We do not have one player who can grab the game by the scuff of it’s neck and control it. The media speculating that 4 or 5 players are targets for the top clubs must be watching different games.

Perhaps they’re not so emotionally attached?

What a strange selection from the off, it didn't help one bit.

Mendy and wilf is just a non starter this was Brighton we need to attack them but we were well off the pace. First half was excruciating to watch, so poor. 

Maddison didn't link up the play either it was just such an unbalanced team bredan put out. 

I appreciate its not easy to play and they have had alot of time off but today's selection was a disaster. 

Must do better next time and for ffs get vardy involved. 

7 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Could we just bring him on for corners? 
Only asking as he was awful against Watford hence him being dropped.

Strange you haven’t questioned the manager?

You seriously think UEFA would scrap the Champions League?

Rodgers can't play for them. But ultimately its his responsibility and he'll be the one to pay the price if this doesn't workout. Doesn't look like the players took the Michael Jordan Documentary to heart. The players need to grow some balls and belief.

1 hour ago, lcfcben76 said:

Let’s talk about Vardy. 

How can you knock his goal record. Brilliant and tbh how he’s scored so many goals consistently is a credit to him and I love him to bits.

But, how often do we go through a whole game and not see him. Touch maps shown halfway through the first half and he has one touch. Are we not playing it to him or does he just not offer that much at times? I actually think the latter as it’s always what I felt when I saw him play for England. 

...we don’t know how to bring him in the game as we only know how to play one way.

Vardy  is a great forward we are just rubbish at breaking down teams in order to give him the space he needs.

If Chelsea have any sense they will set up like Brighton as most teams do to effectively nullify Vardy, that’s a ton of respect to someone who doesn’t “offer much“ on a regular basis. 

17 minutes ago, TeaMen Tom said:

Legit top 4 teams don't drop points vs the bottom when it matters - as it does now. Look at who's not performing (Vardy excepted) and that's where the upgrades need to happen. If you're not doing it now when it counts, you're not going to ever do it.  

To be fair supposed legit top 4 teams have been doing that pretty often 

Noticeable without the crowd that we are quite a quiet team, Kasper aside. When the tempo is flat we need players to try and generate something, but we seem so laid back and content.

Ultimately it’s the managers job to put fire in their bellies I guess.

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Not to mention the league cup semi away match at Villa, where they apparently checked the wrong incident and missed an obvious handball by Nakamba. 

And both those decisions involved Lee Mason, ref for Chelsea and VAR for Villa. A pattern emerges ... funny how its always the same few refs who seem to screw us over again and again. Mason, Kavanagh, Moss, Pawson.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Noticeable without the crowd that we are quite a quiet team, Kasper aside. When the tempo is flat we need players to try and generate something, but we seem so laid back and content.

Sorry to quote you again but worth mentioning...

Tanner put a tweet out earlier on saying that normally with fans in the ground, Rodgers is at the edge of the technical area directing traffic and encouraging the team, but tonight with an empty stadium he hardly saw him stood at all. 

I like Brendan and I’m absolutely over the moon he’s our manager but I just find this a bit ****ing weird? Surely with nobody in the stadium, it’s doubly important to get out there and gee the lads up. 

14 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

And both those decisions involved Lee Mason, ref for Chelsea and VAR for Villa. A pattern emerges ... funny how its always the same few refs who seem to screw us over again and again. Mason, Kavanagh, Moss, Pawson.

Mike Dean hates us too

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Yep, I watched without crowd effects tonight purposely to listen how vocal our players were.

And well, they weren't very vocal at all as far as I could make out.  Supporting the notion there's not enough leadership on the pitch.

A lot has been said about our form since before xmas and it doesn't seem to be just one thing. 

We dont seem to be able to impose our style of play on games.

As a team we're not able to change formation and tactics successfully.

On the occasions we do up intensity, we look better, but it's too little, too late.

Rodgers has been too slow in tactical changes, and he really doesn't seemed to have grasped the concept of the 5 subs.

Maddison is really struggling (not least with his set pieces) but you have to bear in mind he's still in just his second season in the top flight. He's had all the distractions with Man Utd transfer talk and the England  (non) selections. He's also had his positional change this season from a 10 to an 8. He's convinced himself but it dooes appear to have reduced his effectiveness in attack.

Tielemans is a great player with fantastic vision, but has struggled at times, caught out or in possession. He's always looked a little one-paced but teams seemed to have worked that out and press him successfully.

When Vardy is isolated up front he isn't able to contribute much at all, and we've still not found a partner or replacement.

We've never replaced Mahrez, and still need someone with some magic in attack to cut in, and go past people. Barnes can do it, and others, but (so far) not so consistently.

This has been emphasized now we're missing Ricardo who's arrival in the box created an overload and consequently assists and goals.

Despite all this, in fits and bursts we can still turn it on.  We're still a young team s

gaining experience, but it is a worry that the intensity is lacking all too often. 

I wonder if it's more mental, or attitude, rather than fitness? Given the history of our team, and particularly the leadership group, you do wonder if there is anything

in the background we're not privy to that may have affected this?  

Hopefully not, and it's just the players confidence that needs a boost? And that's where it comes back to leadership on the pitch, being more vocal and able to motivate players to up their intensity.