Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brighton - Post Match Thread - 0-0.

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

Rodgers said he played Iheanacho to get someone close to Vardy, but at the same time moved Maddison and the two wide players further away, not to mention the two defensive central midfielders as well. Such a strange decision.

He probably thought he had to counter balance the risk of having more people forwards by having another defensive minded player in there. Its this kind of risk averse thinking that cost Puel his job.

Safety first football won't keep us in 3rd forever, we've had two winnable games that we've not taken advantage of and the teams below us are making ground fast. Rodgers either needs to take a gamble and go for it or he will end up losing the fans, if we drop out of the champs league places after being in such a strong position it would be unforgivable for the majority of fans.

• Like 2

Another dreary, toothless display. We don’t really look like a top 3 side at the moment. TBF, of the matches I’ve seen since the restart, only Man City have looked really good, though Wolves, Everton, Man U, Chelsea &, dare I say it, even Spurs all look better than us.

Top 4 still in sight, but we’ll need to do more than this.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Too negative.  It isn’t about what would have been a good finish at the start of the season it is about where we are now and finishing in the top 4.

If we want to rest players, tell them they can come off after it is 2-0.  There was enough in the second half and last 20 minutes for me that it was tactics and negativity not match fitness that led to two dropped points.

The next set of teams will actually attack us which provides us with a bit of space and at least means 0-0 draws are less likely - right now it is wins that count

Guest An Sionnach

We can't impose ourselves physically on teams and our build up play is being counteracted. Our defence is pretty sound for the most part but we a looking at a lot of one point matches at the moment. So yes we have problems and its time to think outside the box. Even if it puts a few squad players noses out of joint we are going to have to try some of our younger players . At least Hirst and co. have physical stature on their side.

Is it just me or do others see a real lack of chemistry between Chilwell and Barnes?

the amount of times they don’t help each other out with runs to make space or overlap is baffling. They are like a pair of magnets that can’t seem to move too far apart. 

17 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I must admit, in general for years now we’ve looked our best when we just go for it. I think we’ve been burnt a few times against the top top teams when we’ve been naive and it’s created a safety first mindset in most of our recent managers. We need a bit more swagger against most teams. We are Leicester, we can fvcking beat you. I don’t think many of us would mind if we went all out but lost? X 

Exactly. The thing is when there is the build up play we are getting our players up the pitch. But then they'll stand there like a bunch of bean poles and hardly move. Some of the touches have been dreadful which hasnt helped either. The amount of times Gray fluffed his touch in a good position. 

3 minutes ago, FLAN said:

Is it just me or do others see a real lack of chemistry between Chilwell and Barnes?

the amount of times they don’t help each other out with runs to make space or overlap is baffling. They are like a pair of magnets that can’t seem to move too far apart. 

I have said for most of the season that Chilwell occupies the space the Barnes would want to be in.  Often he has to step inside, or is receiving the ball too late and doesn't have space to attack the full back. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

A bit damning on the league that the only reason we are in the top 4 is because of 8 games before December. Before then and since we've looked like a lower midtable side.

It was the 5 wins in 7 and then 8 wins on the spin, just ruthless at picking up points.

• Like 2

Brendan Rodgers was the biggest under-performer yesterday... how he felt he needed to play two defensive midfielders, against a side where own goals is their second highest scorer, is beyond me. Every time you see mendy and ndidi on the pitch together you worry. We were much improved when we rotated things to the familiar set-up.  

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Brendan Rodgers was the biggest under-performer yesterday... how he felt he needed to play two defensive midfielders, against a side where own goals is their second highest scorer, is beyond me. Every time you see mendy and ndidi on the pitch together you worry. We were much improved when we rotated things to the familiar set-up.  

I can't believe it took nearly 70 mins for him to acknowledge it was going no where.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I must admit, in general for years now we’ve looked our best when we just go for it. I think we’ve been burnt a few times against the top top teams when we’ve been naive and it’s created a safety first mindset in most of our recent managers. We need a bit more swagger against most teams. We are Leicester, we can fvcking beat you. I don’t think many of us would mind if we went all out but lost? X 

Yes,. That's exactly it.  Just like we used to sing.  Getin to I'm and fxxc them up.  Good old days......

• Like 1

We are a team that does better in games with goals.  If we score an early goal, it seems to open the game up, giving us a bit more space to play our game.  If the opposition scores we have a bit more focus on getting back into the game.

The trouble is, that I see, is that we have an over cautious approach to games.  We try to control the possession and dictate the play.  It's too slow and we have too many players that can't pass accurately.  The amount of time that a simple pass didn't go to our player last night, or it was played behind a player who had to check their run and completely change the tempo of the move was unforgivable.  Ndidi was the main offender.

43 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

A bit damning on the league that the only reason we are in the top 4 is because of 8 games before December. Before then and since we've looked like a lower midtable side.

Used to work with a Spurs fan who claimed they've were awful for the last 2 seasons before this one but they still finished top 4 in both seasons? I never noticed and just viewed them as a decent mainstay in the top 4 with no stress of missing out on it. He always mentioned they're form was mediocre bar a couple of very good runs, maybe thats all it takes?

I think we all looked at the Watford game and said "we need to get less creative and more negative", so the Mendy change was a natural.

The fact is we were bad for months before the break, and we've been bad in two games since.  Maybe we aren't bad, but it's getting harder and harder to ignore the evidence to the contrary.  We just look like a team and manager who're out of ideas.  And also - use all your ****lng substitutions.  Not taking advantage of a rule change that's an obvious benefit is absolutely maddening. 

• Haha 1

Our biggest problem is we lack a couple of creative players who are willing to take the ball and run with it. The majority of our team literally get the ball and pass it as quickly as they can. Nacho was guilty of it massively last night and he lost the ball the majority of the time in doing so.

You watch Man City play compared to us. KDB, Mahrez, Aguero - Their first thought is to attack. Yes they are a better squad, but we are one place below them and we need to compete.

I'm seriously concerned than Brendan has run out of ideas. Our record is pretty poor and we are incredibly lucky to be in the top 4. This completely negative style of play we have adopted yet again needs binning.

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

I have said for most of the season that Chilwell occupies the space the Barnes would want to be in.  Often he has to step inside, or is receiving the ball too late and doesn't have space to attack the full back. 

Barnes steps inside because Rodgers tells him to not because Chilwell forces him to. Apparently our tactic is we move the ball up to the left side of their box with barnes then he gives it to one of madders or chilwell to cross and moves inside. 

15 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Barnes steps inside because Rodgers tells him to not because Chilwell forces him to. Apparently our tactic is we move the ball up to the left side of their box with barnes then he gives it to one of madders or chilwell to cross and moves inside. 

I agree it can’t be something they just decide to do otherwise they’d be picked up on it. However it doesn’t seem to be the same issue on the right?

Since the liverpool thrashing something has seemed seriously off, anybody who has played the game can sense when  a team suddenly goes from clicking to looking like strangers and at times that has seemed the case in recent months. Somehow despite all this the team with seven games to go,  is in front to get into the top four, but its now or never to turn this form around,otherwise it maybe thursday night football which would be a huge collapse after the start of the season.But if they play like they did yesterday they can forget even that.

Most concerning of all has been Vardy, his form has completely fallen off a cliff,  he has gone from looking  a world beater, to looking the vardy of season 1 where he looked shot of confidence.

Edited by twister

11 minutes ago, twister said:

Since the liverpool thrashing something has seemed seriously off, anybody who has played the game can sense when  a team suddenly goes from clicking to looking like strangers and at times that has seemed the case in recent months. Somehow despite all this the team with seven games to go,  is in front to get into the top four, but its now or never to turn this form around,otherwise it maybe thursday night football which would be a huge collapse after the start of the season.But if they play like they did yesterday they can forget even that.

Most concerning of all has been Vardy, his form has completely fallen off a cliff,  he has gone from looking  a world beater, to looking the vardy of season 1 where he looked shot of confidence.

They believed in their own hype now they realise it was just that hype.