Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brighton - Post Match Thread - 0-0.

After no shots after 20 mins you could tell the game plan was wrong.

but he was stubborn and didn’t even make changes at halftime with 5 subs allowed and his team lucky not to be a goal down.

not sure how Mendy is ahead in the pecking order over Praet and Choudary all of a sudden.

all in all BR had a stinker, never going to win games if you’re not creating shots on target.

1 minute ago, Gamble92 said:

In that season i was talking about, yeah 1 in 5 is generous. 

When we get in our stride again, Maddison, Barnes and Perez along with Tielmans in the centre will be more than good enough to unlock defences. 

Let’s agree to disagree about Mahrez. For me, despite the undoubted quality that the 4 lads you list have, it’s that ‘Mahrez’ level of footballer we lack in our squad to realistically compete regularly for a top 4 position and the type of player we needed today when we were passing it sideways throughout the 2nd half.  

14 minutes ago, Eskay said:

Given madders long enough. He can't dictate a game and is so weak physically still despite having plenty of time to adapt to this level. 

So over rated. Tilemans was better at moving the ball when he came on. We were so brittle in attack that all we did was pass backwards. 

maddison certainly needs to make way for a bit. Get the Belgian lads in with Ndidi.

This needs to end very soon. Time for the boys to do a bit of soul searching and find the fight and the energy. Hard graft is needed now.

First time I've watched the match without crowd noise. Sounds like a graveyard.

12 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Worse performance under Rodgers. It was more Claude Puel than even Claude Puel. Terrible.

This isn’t a blip either. It’s the same deficiencies, same weaknesses since before Christmas.

The biggest frustration today is the tactical setup and team selection. 4-4-2 with two defensive midfielders and Maddison out wide, against Brighton, is utterly bizarre. The fact it took 65 minutes to change is even more bizarre.

Looking at our form and fixture list it’s going to be a battle to hold on to his position.

Won’t happen but I’d ring the changes on Sunday and rest players for the Premier League games. Champions League has to be the priority.

Worst performance, never, did you watch the Norwich game ?

40 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think most of the frustration comes from the fact that we've had the same issues for years. Struggle against anyone who comes organised and defensive unless they've made a mistake and noone can come up with a solution or a plan B or C, we still have no alternative for Vardy who we may as well play on the bench in these games. 

Not wishing to sound patronising but you could say that about most teams in football. The teams that can consistently break down organised defences commonly end up in the top 4. 

Credit to Graham Potter,set Brighton up well and made them hard to break down.

Showed tonight how much we need Ricardo.

Maddison has'nt got a good football brain. Vardy teed him up for a shot and the Brighton defenders raced to him to block it. If he had been more aware he would have seen that Vardy was now all alone in the box and should have played  it back to him.

Dont blame BR for giving Mendy,Nacho and Gray game time. It didnt work but he has to give the squad players a chance.

4 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

FFS they give me palpitations :( Dear Leicester City players and Rog don't **** up our European chances, pretty please...

Without wanting to wind people up, will there be European football this coming season?

Late finishes to seasons, and CL unfinished, late start to next season, and not just our League with these issues. Is it at risk of being scrapped for a year?

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

That's on Brendan. To set up like that is one thing but to not touch a single sub until the 70th minute when we have five to use is bordering on criminal.

Spot on. Absolutely criminal that we didn't make one before the 55th minute. I can just about understand not making one at HT, but after 10 mins of the second half nothing had changed, so subs were needed.

1 minute ago, Christoph said:

Games like this is where I really wish we had mahrez. We're controlling the ball and doing OK but we don't have any players willing to take a man on so it's all shit sideways passes or forward passes that fail.

I don't know. In theory Maddison, Gray, Perez, Ricardo, perhaps at a push Barnes, are all the sorts of players who like to take their man on. They may not always pull it off, but it's part of their game.

Based on what I saw today, what we lack is strength, physicality and drive more than anything else. For a side like Leicester to compete with the Big 6, you're going to have to accept that they'll tend to have access to the world's most elegant and expensive players. Where you can outflank them is with work-rate, fitness, belief, power, pace.

We had that in abundance a few years back, and we're going to have to rekindle some of that spirit if we want to get ourselves out of our current malaise.

The club may have been right to take the view that success couldn't be sustained unless we switched to a more possession-based approach. Maybe our old style had become predictable (or maybe the squad simply got old, and we lost Kante and blew the money on no-hopers). Even so, we shouldn't fall into the trap of believing that we can sustain success if we focus too much on flair, trickery, dinked passes and neat little flicks, while forgetting about the qualities which made us famous in the first place.

Today we were unrecognisable as that team. We've become exactly the sort of side - obsessed with over-elaborate, purposeless possession but lacking in strength or character - that we caught off-guard a few years back.

• Like 3

Where the fcuk was Maddison playing today? Basically played 4-2-2-2 but Maddison wasn't at any point pushing in to the 2 behind Vardy and Iheanacho and taking up some space in the flanks that you need to do, hideously ill thought out game plan, fuming.

• Like 1

It was football like tonight that made me want Purl out, sideways, backwards, sideways backwards with no penetration, where is the attacking football from earlier in the season that got us to where we are now? 

I think I know why he set the way he did with the 2 DMs, more often than not when our full backs went forward Mendy dropped in to cover. Just doesn't make sense setting up to not lose against a Brighton side that are towards the bottoms of the league and we have a real chance at a top 4 finish. I hope he learns from this and gets us attacking again next time out.

Chelsea will smash us if we play like tonight. 

40 minutes ago, 54 Silver Fox said:

Without Kasper and Jamie we would be fighting relegation. We need another top striker to take the pressure off Jamie and give a bit of variation to our play. In our current form we have no chance of staying above Chelsea.

Playing with nine men would leave most teams fighting relegation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Where the fcuk was Maddison playing today? Basically played 4-2-2-2 but Maddison wasn't at any point pushing in to the 2 behind Vardy and Iheanacho and taking up some space in the flanks that you need to do, hideously ill thought out game plan, fuming.

If I didn't know better I'd say he wants to be at Utd playing champions league football next season. Anonymous again. Surely time for Praet to come in and push Tielemans forward.

1 hour ago, dobbylcfc said:

What i dont get is we have Kevin on the bench who can cross a ball why isnt he having a crack at taking them.

Could we just bring him on for corners? 
Only asking as he was awful against Watford hence him being dropped.

14 minutes ago, SO1 said:

This needs to end very soon. Time for the boys to do a bit of soul searching and find the fight and the energy. Hard graft is needed now.

First time I've watched the match without crowd noise. Sounds like a graveyard.

Strange you haven’t questioned the manager?

10 minutes ago, foxinsox said:

Without wanting to wind people up, will there be European football this coming season?

Late finishes to seasons, and CL unfinished, late start to next season, and not just our League with these issues. Is it at risk of being scrapped for a year?

You seriously think UEFA would scrap the Champions League?

What's more worrying about Brenda getting it so wrong tonight is that he should have came out and acknowledged that he made a bad call  firstly in his team selection and secondly in waiting so long to change it. 

We've all known that he has an arrogant side to him which I don't mind but I would have liked a bit of reassurance that he isn't going to make the same mistake because he recognises them. To be honest, I don't think that HE thinks he got anything wrong today. 

I said last season that this team has the potential to be brilliant in the next 2-3 years.

This season they’ve already exceeded expectations, they’ve shown their quality and what are they are capable of, hence why we’re 3rd.

However despite being 3rd, since December we’ve seen that this team still have a long way to go to becoming brilliant.

We are nowhere near perfect, we still have a relatively young squad with numerous players still yet to reach their peak.

The most frustrating thing though is to be in such a promising and healthy position, yet poor form could well scupper our chances of European Football. To miss out on Champions League football from the position we were in, would be absolutely unforgivable and questions deservingly would need to be thrown towards Rodgers, as to why he fvcked up a promising season.

We desperately need to find our quality and potential again, instead of this naive bullshit that we’re currently witnessing.

Legit top 4 teams don't drop points vs the bottom when it matters - as it does now. Look at who's not performing (Vardy excepted) and that's where the upgrades need to happen. If you're not doing it now when it counts, you're not going to ever do it.