Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brighton - Post Match Thread - 0-0.

3 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

Unless Man U and Wolves slip up in their next couple of matches our safety net has gone. Protecting our massive lead since Christmas by adopting a conservative approach and tinkering with our formation has run its course. It simply hasn't worked. We now have 7 games to turn things around. Rodgers must adopt a more positive approach and instil greater desire in his players. They are playing scared like a bunch of players with everything to lose. They must play the remaining fixtures as if they have everything to gain. Seven cup ties lie ahead so go for it! As fans we can accept falling short because our team is not good enough but going down without a fight is inexcusable. 

team are starting to learn that if you sit back and are in need for a point or would take a point then that is all you need to do. need more ideas going forward. can't penetrate a team that defends like that at all. happened against villa twice, newcastle under rafa and could see it clearly in the 2nd half against brighton. also struggles against wolves twice

9 hours ago, ttfn said:

Rodgers has the fans on his side. As 2 of the last 3 managers have found, the quickest way to lose the crowd is to take off Vardy no matter how much sense it might make.

Would it make us play differently though? We seem to be playing to create the odd chance here and there, Vardy's record with shots to goals is exceptional and that's why he's left on even when not heavily involved.

If you take him off, you need to create a lot more which we don't look capable of doing.

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

70v9a9kqsu651.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Someone posted this on Reddit, it's our "average position" for each player during the game. Demonstrates the lack of width the team showed last night. Pretty eye--opening if you ask me, and not sure why there wasn't more of an emphasis to get in down the sides.

Believe our aim was to get JJ and Chilwell to give us that width, but we were caught on the counter too many times so seemed to drop that pretty early on. Everyone is almost on the others heels. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

team are starting to learn that if you sit back and are in need for a point or would take a point then that is all you need to do. need more ideas going forward. can't penetrate a team that defends like that at all. happened against villa twice, newcastle under rafa and could see it clearly in the 2nd half against brighton. also struggles against wolves twice

I believe we have in Gray,Albrighton,the Two Fülle the right players,but Gray & Chilwell,with Maddison

are playing their Triangles and quick release always too Narrow along the touchline,then Gray ( Any winger) has 3 Maybe 4 players defending regionally,The

Space that either he or with 1-2s Chilwell would Drive forward into....und if we Don t Play quickly,with commitment,then we are easily blocked put und there is no Automatic release...we are also surrendering midfield Too easily,meaning Maddison is defending Top Deep when he should be free to be the playmaker...

Many of you can Repeat your positive or negative opinions....I just cant fathom,where the problem Really lays...Shakespeake,Raneri ( 2nd year) Puel,Now Full

First year Rodgers....or players push when they go over the white wash..!!

we are a club & team(s) that have Jumped,like upsurppers into a new Dimension of pushing for top 4 ( Not Top 8)..Is there a mental-discipline,that consistent Top

4-6 clubs organisations and chosen Top players also have and develope & hold...Us there an higher confirmed confidence & controlled arrogance level,that comes with the job...  Look at the performances  of Manutd, Spurs,Arsenal( only this One avg season) and Liverpool and other countries Top teams,even when they misfire...They find away it  cant > just< be the money.

Plus how can we as fans become so entitled,& arrogant that we can criticise 2-3 Power developing managers,Puel & Rodgers Holding us".Leicester city" in a consistent Top 10, place,challenging believe it or not for the  Top 4, for First Time in "OUR" PL history...

I Don t like Now in These last few years,Now we can Show hate or more importantly  disrespect,to other mainly Top clubs..and NO its not normal expected Football fan discussion.  More like spoilt Brat syndrome,with nothing behind....The fact is until we Translate that prospect & talent we have,into consistent silverware.

Until then in the Football world,we might stay a name,but we havent rightly yet,lost the Tag and it may hurt to say it,

but we still  hover around "The also-ran sphere"

And this forum,in some Quarters has lost its dry wit humble tag , we are in Danger of becoming an OTT entitled Football fan forum..!!!

21 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. I really think you are clutching at straws!!!

We have been playing like this for ages. You know exactly how the game will go as soon as they step out on to the pitch.

Chelsea won't try to stifle us but they could bring their U18s with the same tactics as Brighton and we wouldn't have an answer.

Rodgers will go safe as usual, we won't be able to get out of first gear, it will be a long day.

As good as he is, if you're relying on your right back to be one of your most creative players, you've got problems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TWUKO said:

I'm getting so annoyed with the lackluster performances, Watford and Brighton are garbage teams and we should have enough quality to sweep them aside, yet we barley register a meaningful shot!

Forget lockdown, these performances have been like this since December, can't breakdown the poorer sides and barley apply any pressure, get rolled over by the bigget sides. We only seem to win if a team turns up and can't be bothered.

If we hadn't won 8 or 9 in a row we'd be struggling for a top half finish, teams in and around the top 6 have show much more quality in recent months than us, fact!

You wouldn't mind if we'd had a bucket load of chances and just couldn't finish but we haven't, it's just poor, no plan b, pass the ball around well and retain possession but do nothing with it, no game changers on the bench, we need some quality signings to change games. Especially in the final 3rd out build up play is not penetrating and easy to defend, our movement going forward is very slow and static, not much movement off the ball or on it, players receive the ball and wait 5 seconds to see what they can do, by then the space is gone and they pass it sideways or backwards!

At the moment Brendan seems to think any result is acceptable regardless of what we created or who it was against as long as we've had a minimum of 60% possession!

Needs to improve, in a week or so we could be out of the FA cup and out of the top 4, with tough opposition still to play!

and God knows how these last two performances have affected our xG (expected goals). We’re giving those  so called experts fuel   to their fire that we are in a false position on xG figures. 

Thinking about it though they may have a point. Stats and Lies Matter...

3 hours ago, SixtiesFox said:

Unless Man U and Wolves slip up in their next couple of matches our safety net has gone. Protecting our massive lead since Christmas by adopting a conservative approach and tinkering with our formation has run its course. It simply hasn't worked. We now have 7 games to turn things around. Rodgers must adopt a more positive approach and instil greater desire in his players. They are playing scared like a bunch of players with everything to lose. They must play the remaining fixtures as if they have everything to gain. Seven cup ties lie ahead so go for it! As fans we can accept falling short because our team is not good enough but going down without a fight is inexcusable. 

Possibly made worse by not respecting Brighton and having one eye on the FA Cup 6th Round. Modern day rotation is a pain in the arse. Just treat the next game as the most important game. 

Edited by l444ry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

We wont be if we stay poor, which is the point.

Our form since the man city game is bottom 7.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/formtabelle/wettbewerb/GB1?saison_id=2019&min=18&max=31

You sure you want us to stay poor?

But what position are we in? Are we not 3rd and in the fa cup 1/4 final? Would you have taken that at the start of the season? Was your expectations at the start of the season to be challenging Liverpool and Man City? If our form wasn’t as bad as it has been that is where we would be. My expectations at the start of the season was to try and close the 20 point gap to the top 6. We also have to realise that the restart is like pre season, I don’t think we will see teams getting in to full game mode for 4-5 games. I would be gutted if we didn’t finish top 5, as the champions league would be amazing and would be the second best season in our history  

15 hours ago, Corky said:

Would it make us play differently though? We seem to be playing to create the odd chance here and there, Vardy's record with shots to goals is exceptional and that's why he's left on even when not heavily involved.

If you take him off, you need to create a lot more which we don't look capable of doing.

It could mean we create more chances and score more goals. The way vardy plays leaves little space for players to make runs beyond him and that makes it easy to defend against. Love vardy and he is a great goalscorer, but let’s be honest, he isn’t a very good footballer, he stays on the last man for 90 mins, and if we are winning that’s great, but the longer the game is 0-0 the deeper the opposition defend and that takes vardy out the game. Will he different on Sunday As Chelsea will be more open and vardy will have room.

22 hours ago, FLAN said:

Is it just me or do others see a real lack of chemistry between Chilwell and Barnes?

the amount of times they don’t help each other out with runs to make space or overlap is baffling. They are like a pair of magnets that can’t seem to move too far apart. 

Mate, this has been talked about for a long time in Chilwell and Barnes threads. And yes - they lack chemistry. Chilwell just wouldnt pass to Barnes as Chilwell is too safety minded and cannot pick a pass other than a sideway or backward pass. Barnes on the other hand is often too far ahead and in direct line of an opposition player so Chilwell does not pass to him given his mindset. We need Maddison or Tielemans to unleash Barnes but they are often too far away for Barnes.  Something has to change.

Edited by Tom12345

1 minute ago, Stonegold said:

Not exactly a classic was it , interesting the differences of opinions on our main forum than here , for obvious reasons the point for Brighton was invaluable and the way it was earned has little consequence , it was very noticeable how little Chillwell got forward , this must go down as a bit of managerial nous from Potter , handing Lamptey his debut , as Brighton supporters we knew very little of his capabilities but he did a fantastic job mostly , I'm not sure how quick Vardy is but Lamptey simply had the pace to nulify most of his movement in and around the box . 

From my point of view i found Leicesters set up from the start a little odd , perhaps Rodgers was expecting us to hold a high line i don't know but we were on top for the opening 20 minutes , the penalty miss seemed to work in Leicesters favour but in all honesty if anyone had found a winner in that game the other team would have felt robbed .

Good luck chasing down the Champions league spot  . 

I don't think it would have been harsh for you to be a couple of goals ahead at half time! We had about 20 minutes of the 2nd half, then when Potter made the changes I think that gave you the initiative again. Were you disappointed not to leave with the 3 points by the end of the game?

No not really , expectations were low to start with so anything was a bonus really , we run a prediction league and out of over 300 entrants only 5 had us down for a win , iv'e a feeling if we had of scored the penalty we would of stopped trying to play and the inevitable would of happened and a loss would of been the likeliest event , i can't speak for all Brighton fans but nobody iv'e spoken too is that unhappy we didn't win that one .

1 hour ago, Stonegold said:

No not really , expectations were low to start with so anything was a bonus really , we run a prediction league and out of over 300 entrants only 5 had us down for a win , iv'e a feeling if we had of scored the penalty we would of stopped trying to play and the inevitable would of happened and a loss would of been the likeliest event , i can't speak for all Brighton fans but nobody iv'e spoken too is that unhappy we didn't win that one .

I find Brighton a perplexing team under Potter, I don't know why you have ran in to as much trouble as you have done for periods as the football and squad depth you have is admirable. I remember in the game at your gaff earlier in the season, although we played well and won 2-0 during a run of games where we smashed anything that stood in our way, you played some really good football and I've seen enough of your other games to think you are dynamic enough to handle most types of teams but for whatever reason you've failed to pick up the points. I think that may well change under Potter though and i'd not be surprised to see you challenging top 8 next season, your recruitment impresses me and the fact you have a potential star in Ben White elsewhere must be very pleasing. You're probably another decent central midfielder and another forward off being ready to challenge.

Hope you lot can do us a solid and take points off of United next week. Potter seems like a quality manager so im at least a little bit hopeful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cecchini1976 said:

But what position are we in? Are we not 3rd and in the fa cup 1/4 final? Would you have taken that at the start of the season? Was your expectations at the start of the season to be challenging Liverpool and Man City? If our form wasn’t as bad as it has been that is where we would be. My expectations at the start of the season was to try and close the 20 point gap to the top 6. We also have to realise that the restart is like pre season, I don’t think we will see teams getting in to full game mode for 4-5 games. I would be gutted if we didn’t finish top 5, as the champions league would be amazing and would be the second best season in our history  

I think the aim was always CL, the statements from the management team indicated that.

I dont look at football as simple as our current league position, it is more complicated then that, we finished the great escape season low in the table but on amazing form, which left us with a positive outlook, and of course we know what happened next.

Likewise in the the season where we started strong, and form collapsed after wycombe game, the bad form seen us relegated the season after.

You seem to be looking at it one game at a time, I look more at trends and form.

As others have already pointed out a bad start followed by improving form is better as it shows a better future outlook, a blistering start followed by poor form is the opposite, and there is a real problem that needs to be sorted out.

3 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Mate, this has been talked about for a long time in Chilwell and Barnes threads. And yes - they lack chemistry. Chilwell just wouldnt pass to Barnes as Chilwell is too safety minded and cannot pick a pass other than a sideway or backward pass. Barnes on the other hand is often too far ahead and in direct line of an opposition player so Chilwell does not pass to him given his mindset. We need Maddison or Tielemans to unleash Barnes but they are often too far away for Barnes.  Something has to change.

I agree barnes hasnt been in either game and its odd, hes our most dangerous winger, and yet we dont get the ball to him.

The manager needs to grow some balls and adopt an attacking mindset, tell the players to get the ball forward with urgency, get it to certain players, and if we concede so be it.

It seems he is frit of another liverpool/man city result.

If we win a few games but lose another few by 3 goals its better than drawing them all.

Edited by Chrysalis

. .not surprised!!!

You had previously picked up 3 points against Arsenal so anything from this game was a bonus.

It's weird that people would single out Vardy. No matter who we've played up top, or on the wings, they've tended to struggle in recent months. We've only done as well as we have because Vardy did such a heroic job of living off scraps, but that doesn't mean your game plan can depend on that happening. I thought it was noteworthy that we saw one or two players crafting half-chances for themselves on Tuesday, but three of the only chances that came from one player unselfishly playing another in were courtesy of the two strikers. We didn't see midfielders or full backs doing this often enough.

When you see the same problems emerging after a break which is longer than a close season, it can no longer be a confidence issue either.

And it's very hard to simplify things to 'our wingers aren't good enough'. One did a good job at another EPL club, another is one of the most highly rated young English wingers in the game, another won the title with us... it can't be a coincidence that all of our attack-minded players struggle, no matter what the combination, and irrespective of their pedigree. Neither can we hide behind the youth of our team. The side we put out the other day had an average age of over 26, making it older than Brighton's.

It's not doom-mongering. But you have to separate yourself from all of the media hyperbole about how great Rodgers is, and keep an open mind as to whether this is a blip in an otherwise upwards trajectory - as in early 2013 / mid-season 2014/15 - or a case of a manager inheriting a talented set of players, enjoying a prolonged spell of good results, and then starting to struggle as the flaws in his own approach begin to take hold (e.g. early 2001, when we were also in the Champions League places at the time of our collapse; or the back-end of the Puel reign).

• Like 2