Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ceirboy

Dead forum user accounts.

Something got me thinking recently about forums and users  and how many accounts re now dormant because the creator has died. 
Do the family ask for things to be shut down or do they just sit there unused forever? 
Do forum admin ever have a purge and delete unused accounts? 
Only curious- I’m not planning on dying anytime soon.

In my experience of running forums, it's not common to purge accounts other than those used for scams or other fraudulent activities.

Depends on the person running the forum as it's their property, but my experience is the account will normally just sit dormant.

Edited by Beechey

Many years ago there was a member, Janx who was a regular poster on here who was sadly killed in a car accident. His wife came on here using his account to tell us what had happened. 

It was all terribly sad, I’d never met the guy but we all felt like we knew him personally. 

I don’t know if his account still exists. 😥

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Monk said:

Many years ago there was a member, Janx who was a regular poster on here who was sadly killed in a car accident. His wife came on here using his account to tell us what had happened. 

It was all terribly sad, I’d never met the guy but we all felt like we knew him personally. 

It’s still there, dormant for nearly 13 years.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

There was a chap on here a few years ago with a terminal illness who asked for his account to be deleted which iIrc was done. 

Tbh we thought you were dead Webbo.
Heard nothing from you for over a year and now you’re back and we can’t shut you up :D

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Was that @stockyfox?

I remember that ex pat poster Glen something who lived in Australia and had terminal cancer and died just before we won the PL.

Really sad but comforting to know we won it for him.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Was that @stockyfox?

12 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I remember that ex pat poster Glen something who lived in Australia and had terminal cancer and died just before we won the PL.

Really sad but comforting to know we won it for him.

Pretty sure it was Glenelg (a suburb in Adelaide) fox

Edit.. also.. a palindrome :)

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

There was a chap on here a few years ago with a terminal illness who asked for his account to be deleted which iIrc was done. 

46 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Was that @stockyfox?

That was Worthington.

12 hours ago, Ceirboy said:

Something got me thinking recently about forums and users  and how many accounts re now dormant because the creator has died. 
Do the family ask for things to be shut down or do they just sit there unused forever? 
Do forum admin ever have a purge and delete unused accounts? 
Only curious- I’m not planning on dying anytime soon.

I Don t want mine closed...I am Coming back to haunt you lot,with my Eternal forum...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Monk said:

Hi M, hope you're well mate.

Your recollection is spot on. He was an absolutely top bloke as well.