Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Anyone happy for 5th place/Europa League???

After reflecting on top 6 sides games coming up and squad depths and games played at such short intervals then I'm unfortunately trying to wrap my head around "what if we finish 5th"? 

Guaranteed group stage, yes. 

Need to spend big on squad depth for regular squad rotation, yes.

Would this ironically take us away from chasing top 4 after next season given how busy we'd be I.e. wolves Europa league run and would this effectively take the energy out of us when trying to focus on PL games.

What do people think our transfer spend needs to be and how many incoming squad players we'd need?

7 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

What do people think our transfer spend needs to be and how many incoming squad players we'd need?

As we have a few leaving, we'd need 6-7 players of a quality capable of pushing for a starting place.

The problem is no one knows the effects of this virus or what state we're in with FFP.

6 minutes ago, Bert said:

The Europa Thursday/Sunday thing is an absolute myth. What’s the difference to playing Wednesday/Saturday when in the champions league? 

Agreed. Even after the newly revamped and staggered matches for this season in the PL I can only hope this new style layout (which I'm not a fan of) plus covid might give UEFA an excuse/reason to condense and make right their abysmal matchday dates for the Europa league.

A few years ago I would have said yes... maybe even last season... but considering we've have spent most of the season in the top four it would be such a anti climatic end to finish outside. The problem with the Europa League it's Thursday night's to some less romantic places of europe then having to rush back for alot of Sunday games. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

For a team like us who don’t have the squad and finance of a huge club, it does make a huge difference to get straight to the group stage at least.

Wolves had 6 extra games just to qualify for the group.

It would still be great to qualify for the EL. It’s not a trophy that should be dismissed, it’s prestigious and great for a club like us to win it also a different way to enter the CL.

It would usually be a brilliant achievement but for the way we had CL seemingly almost locked, it would be a disappointment.

For me it will be a small consolation on a very disappointing season but definitely a competition that is great to be in.

I don’t ever buy the Thursday  Sunday argument which is just a stupid cliche or that it’s better to not be in it! If we’re not in the CL I’d wanna be in the EL every time.

Edited by deanolegend1989
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bert said:

We’ve an actual chance of winning the Europa league. That would be immense. But champions league is where the cash cow is and where we can attract bigger players. I think more than anything, we’d be so gutted of how we’ve let the situation slip if we don’t make CL because for months it’s looked nailed on. 

The Europa Thursday/Sunday thing is an absolute myth. What’s the difference to playing Wednesday/Saturday when in the champions league? 

There are the same amount of group games in the EL as the CL, too. 

Could be wrong mate but don't the teams that play in the CL on a Wednesday traditionally get Sunday PL games after?

• Like 1

Another thing to add is I reckon Brendan would be dissapointed with a Europa League spot, espically when comes to the transfter window both in and out. At least finish above Manchester United and maybe Chelsea, will keep the likes of Maddison and Ndidi at the club. Plus some of his transfer targets might be difficult to get, cause most he would be targeting at the moment maybe wanting champions league football.

1 minute ago, Leicesterpool said:

Another thing to add is I reckon Brendan would be dissapointed with a Europa League spot, espically when comes to the transfter window both in and out. At least finish above Manchester United and maybe Chelsea, will keep the likes of Maddison and Ndidi at the club. Plus some of his transfer targets might be difficult to get, cause most he would be targeting at the moment maybe wanting champions league football.

Totally agree. The only way I see a top 4 finish for us is for Chelsea to beat man utd and for us to draw with them on the final day. 

1 minute ago, UHDrive said:

Totally agree. The only way I see a top 4 finish for us is for Chelsea to beat man utd and for us to draw with them on the final day. 

Chelsea don't have Man Utd still to play? West Ham will get a result off Man Utd though mark my words. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Chelsea don't have Man Utd still to play? West Ham will get a result off Man Utd though mark my words. 

Well corrected thanks, thinking of the fa cup. I meant chelsea with a point taken off of them by either Sheffield utd or wolves or preferably both with a liverpool win (if they up their game by then). If that happens we'll be in with a decent shot. I think man u will get top 4. 

• Like 1