Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Anyone happy for 5th place/Europa League???

1 minute ago, UHDrive said:

Well corrected thanks, thinking of the fa cup. I meant chelsea with a point taken off of them by either Sheffield utd or wolves or preferably both with a liverpool win (if they up their game by then). If that happens we'll be in with a decent shot. I think man u will get top 4. 

Chelsea definitely have a much tougher run-in than Man Utd. Just need someone like Villa or West Ham to at least nab a point off Man Utd. Surely they don't win every game?

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Chelsea definitely have a much tougher run-in than Man Utd. Just need someone like Villa or West Ham to at least nab a point off Man Utd. Surely they don't win every game?

I'm hoping Aston villa coming up as they've got it all still to fight for and will throw the kitchen sink at them. Watched west ham the other day and the way their team move around is like watching uncontrolled slippery spaghetti, but here's to hoping you are right. I'd prefer Southampton to take a point but its an away match for them. Watching us play with 3 cb's and wing backs and higher up the pitch with more height in the team made me feel a lot more at ease watching city than for quite a long time.

I like the EL, you get good competitive games between teams you don't get to see very often. CL brings more wealth and exposure of course but I'm not that obsessed with us playing in it. As Webbo says, try to finish 3rd for the achievement of finishing 3rd. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LinekersLugs said:

5th will get champions league by all accounts Man City have been told they will 100% be banned from champions league next year the 2nd year might get suspended 

I've been finding it odd how they've been acting so cocky about it all. How do you know?

Before the season started I would have snapped your hand off for a Europa League spot.

After being 3rd for so long though, falling into a Europa League spot would be disappointing and a sign that we are bottlers.

• Like 2

I feel anyone who would say yes to this is cushioning the blow for what may happen if we don't get champions league. Just before Christmas and at the half way stage we were in a title race, not even thinking about dropping out of the top 4. If we do now, it will be a big disappointment, as we've let an incredible lead slip. I think at Christmas we were 14 points ahead of Man Utd. 

If we get 5th but still get CL due to Man City, that would be an incredible piece of luck that we never seem to get!

It would be great for us but also football as a whole if Man City are banned and you are banned for throwing money at it. We need to even the playing field as it’s becoming very boring when teams just run away with leagues.

I used to love the 90s when teams who won the league only getting in the 70s point wise.

I just have a feeling that Man City’s ban will get over turned. They are so rich they would pay off anyone they need to cheat there way back in over any laws. It will be a joke if they get let off, and a sign that football is dead.

Edited by deanolegend1989

We will need to get 9 points from our remaining 5 matches. It's do-able. I think Chelsea will get 10 points max  from their remaining fixtures, which means we'll qualify for Champs league (on GD) with 9 more points. 

3 wins out of 5 🙏

Money wise the difference between Champions League and Europa League is massive, not including TV revenue which is obviously going to be much more in the Champions League

Champions League: You get a base fee of around €15m just for being in the Group Stages

Europa League: You get a base fee of around €3m for being in the group stages, and the total from winning the entire thing is around €13m I believe

We could win the entire Europa League and still make less than you would if you just turn up in the Champions League Group Stages

At the beginning of the season I'd have been very happy with that. However, after being 2nd and 3rd for the majority of the season, it would be disappointing. 

Unfortunately we've a difficult run in and the others haven't fared as badly since the restart, although the silly points dropped prior, 

Norwich, will be our undoing. 

• Like 1

If we don't get CL the season is going to feel like a failure after being 14pts clear.

We're now the outsider of the three according to the betting markets with about an implied 50% chance whilst Man Utd and Chelsea are both rated at an implied 75%.

If Man City's appeal is upheld we will be the biggest beneficiaries of that decision. A minimum of 4pts before  that appeal is what we should be targeting though. 

Got to be objective about I think. I wouldn’t be happy about blowing a CL spot from the position we were in but if we finish in the top 6 it’s difficult to look back at the whole 38 game season and be disappointed and have any serious reservations about the manager or players squad. The aim was always top six you can only be so annoyed about just falling short of a massive over achievement in BR’s first full season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Money wise the difference between Champions League and Europa League is massive, not including TV revenue which is obviously going to be much more in the Champions League

Champions League: You get a base fee of around €15m just for being in the Group Stages

Europa League: You get a base fee of around €3m for being in the group stages, and the total from winning the entire thing is around €13m I believe

We could win the entire Europa League and still make less than you would if you just turn up in the Champions League Group Stages

This 100% we need the money to push on as a club. This is our chance since the top teams this year haven't been too great we need to take advantage or we won't be one of the best teams in the premier league for much longer. Also getting UCL makes players like Tielemans Pereira and Ndidi much more likley to stay at our club. 

To answer the titular question, no.  Basically no upside for me.

I'd make it about 75-25 the MC ban is overturned.  We're this close to having all the CL slots fall to power clubs, which is what the governing bodies all want.

4 hours ago, UHDrive said:

After reflecting on top 6 sides games coming up and squad depths and games played at such short intervals then I'm unfortunately trying to wrap my head around "what if we finish 5th"? 

Guaranteed group stage, yes. 

Need to spend big on squad depth for regular squad rotation, yes.

Would this ironically take us away from chasing top 4 after next season given how busy we'd be I.e. wolves Europa league run and would this effectively take the energy out of us when trying to focus on PL games.

What do people think our transfer spend needs to be and how many incoming squad players we'd need?

At present,Like all, I would be disappointed if....We didnt hold that Top 4,but wouldnt go on a crash blame campaign...

We aimed high,shot high and has a group First season together ,in many ways we have had a massive success...

Initial  hopes of the fans..Top 6,with a  a cheeky punt by upsetting those Top 4.

Rodgers First season..

.Maddison/Tielemans (First season) still look like a Top pairing,for a club with ambition..Hope We can persuade them we have a Future together..

Upped our quality in midfield

Soyuncu our find of the season,prevented from the Offset any panic..My PoS

Evans,with no Major injuries...we got an experienced gem for pennies...These 2 gave us that consistency and solid hold at the back,beyond expectations!!

Praet,just slotted in easily which also upped squad allround quality

Justin..a solid buy,that again has proved a Quality addition..

Iheanacho....started to Grab his chance,and now becoming a Terrace favourite...

Barnes..First Real season,Another Dynamic addition to those gameday's First 12 names

Chilwell had ,Like others ( Vardy for one) his ups und downs,but still upped his game over the whole season

Albrighton, for me, still Mr dependable and best crossers in the game..

Gray..had some better cameos this season,If he gets selected,I would like to see Rodgers, tell him he has the Freedom of the park,give him carte blanche,und

only defend from the front,Don t Drop back..

Ndidi goes from strength to strength,no coincidencee that our drop in form, and that Flow of controlled quick football( from the others) massively

brought Doubt and a massive dip in,results & performances,when he got injured...A Club like ours just doesnt have that high Octane replacement.

Then with other small knocks around our Main Front 6 performers,we have found we Fell Short in the mental-fatigue discipline,in a long season.

Ricardo 's, late injury then just added to late season frustrations...

Yes we still Need (Finances permitting) + ( Quality players wanting to come to Leicester) to Build up the Quality of our First Choice Top 16 players.

I still want to see developement/academy/Reserve squad Coaches & Management Take more responsibility in Provinz that they can nurture 2-5, players

per season into First Team trialist getting gametime,where at least 2-3 Show high potential...We are Not producing enough talent from within..!!ich

& Give such Investments like Kaputska, Iverrson (gk), Now gone Krameric,Leshabela, more patience and actually Bench with game time...

I cant accept has "normal"  that so many are Not Making the cut..There or something Worringly wrong,that we have only seen Chillwell and Barnes,come through

With all the pub/terrace/Forum Talk of could of,should ofs,Would ofs...

including all the above mentioned ,   the allround bigger  Picture ,I still believe we have or having a Great season, how it pans out...

whether just a Top season or finishes a Great season is in the laps of the Football gods...

And it wont be finishing below any of those entitled ,over zealous fans, pre season mentioned expectations...

Many Frustrations on here are because alot  of fans were overrating the problems of the Status quo Top 7,und

then underrated/undervalued the new  young managers traditional Big clubs Competence and individual character...

I for one,cant & don t dislike any clubs manager,I don t really hate ,that it makes me blind,top clubs( or Any opponents) traditions or successes...

I dislike some,over the years, ( or in Gamedays knee-jerk rants) but not because of the onfield  football...

I just enjoy,enjoying football hate/disgruntlement has no room or lobby in my pastimes or Sporting entertainment..

Whats the use of wanting to be respected from other fans,if we cant be gratious and humble towards others....

Now Ref and officials, thats something different,  With some I just cant help myself...Mental GBH doesn't explain half of it....!!!

I Really believe British footballing officialdom has Fell into the pits...and VAR is the best Vehicle to show their incompetence & general lack of Common sense.

• Like 1