Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Anyone happy for 5th place/Europa League???

8 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Could be wrong mate but don't the teams that play in the CL on a Wednesday traditionally get Sunday PL games after?

Not always mate 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Stop blaming our crashing out on officials - it's a bad look.  If we don't qualify it's because we didn't play good football for basically half the season.

I get what your saying but Man United, Chelsea and Wolves also didn’t play good football for basically half the season.

Its juts we’ve won our games early as a pose to them winning more games in the second half of the season. 
Hence us still being ahead with 5 games to go.

The officials are not excuses for us crashing out, but the handball decisions have certainly been a factor in us dropping points.

When it comes to VAR the ruling out of goals for hitting hands, such as Iheanacho against Norwich or Wolves against us, or offsides like the one for and against us against Spurs were all correct decisions- don’t like the rules - but to the letter of the law these were all correct.

Where the officiating has been abysmal is in the awarding of penalties for handball.

Its not just us either.

This weekend, there were two given in the Man Utd Bournemouth game, Newcastle should have had one and Sheff United should have had one.
I can’t think of a 50/50 decision that’s gone against Man Utd this season.

We’ve has about 10 go against us.

Since the restart: 

Ndidi 3 minutes of looking at replays to find a clear and obvious error and a clear handball not given against Brighton in the last minute.

These could have easily gone the other way and we would be 3 points better off and 6 clear of United with 5 to play if they had.

Thats without going over the others throughout the season.

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

To answer the titular question, no.  Basically no upside for me.

I'd make it about 75-25 the MC ban is overturned.  We're this close to having all the CL slots fall to power clubs, which is what the governing bodies all want.

UEFA don't give two hoots for man city.  I think the accepted outcome is a compromise 1 year ban

I can't imagine that, even now, Man City are box office across Europe with TV companies. De Bruyne apart - and maybe Sane at a push - there's no big European names with them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Stop blaming our crashing out on officials - it's a bad look.  If we don't qualify it's because we didn't play good football for basically half the season.

Quite- only ourselves to blame, if it happens.

Norwich away is the biggest frustration- in their last 9 games, they've lost 8, conceding 14 and scoring 0 in the process and we barely laid a glove on them. An absolutely abhorrent performance & result.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

I would be disappointed if Man Utd finishes above us. I don’t mind Wolves as much, but not Utd, this season.

I detest Man U - even more so with their current bunch and hype. 

However, if we miss out to Man U - it's because they spent literally hundreds of millions to find an answer. Simply something we can't compete against. 

• Like 1

Its wolves that would hurt more, similar sized club, we had a head start with the title win and a longer current run in the EPL, then they pipped us last season, and this season even though they had europa to contend with, if they pip us again that is going to hurt, also with us both been midlands clubs as well.

• Like 2

At the start of the season would of snapped your  hand of for a 6th place finish, if we finish 6th now I personally would be disappointed, shows how well we have done, or how shite the so called big 6 have performed, but overall finish in a European place is an achievement for a club our size

We just don’t win ugly often enough. Even when we do like Saturday we still won 3-0. The amount of games we’ve let slip away this season is so annoying. Just another 3/4 points on the board and we’d all but be guaranteed top four. Norwich games stick in my mind.  Such a waste. 

• Like 1

I think we need to separate the two things.

Finishing 5th/6th after where we were would be a disappointing finish to the season.

But finishing 5th/6th (+ LC SF, FAC QF, record away top flight win) for a club like us does not represent a disappointing overall season.

Context, as ever, is key.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Finishing 5th/6th after where we were would be a disappointing finish to the season.

But finishing 5th/6th (+ LC SF, FAC QF, record away top flight win) for a club like us does not represent a disappointing overall season.

A very good summary, a bit well balanced for FT but accurate none the less :thumbup:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Royston. said:

As long as 5th gets a champions league spot id gladly take it.

Dunno how covid will affect next seasons champions league but will it still be AS lucrative as before?

Yup.  If it gets us into the dance 5th is sooper dooper with me.  But I don't think it will.

20 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I get what your saying but Man United, Chelsea and Wolves also didn’t play good football for basically half the season.

Its juts we’ve won our games early as a pose to them winning more games in the second half of the season. 

This is a winning pose for me. :thumbup:

1118full-rachel-riley.jpg

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Context has changed though .....from where we have been for nine months, to finish outside the CL places will be a crushing disappointment for this young squad and potentially affect them badly going forwards ....

• Like 2

Realistically wherever we finish we've had a good year, it'll just be that the first part of the season was outstanding and the second half of the season was disappointing. At this moment anything less than CL would be a disappointment but tbh at the beginning of next season a Europa league place (with a fair chance of winning it) would still be very good.

Of course from the position we were in at  Christmas - the only realistic competitors to Liverpool for the title - anything lower than 3rd is a disappointment, but seasons last around 38 matches for a reason.

The biggest problem with not making the CL will be the added chance of a good player or two leaving and even more so the greatly reduced possibility of signing the quality of player that may sign for us if we finish 3rd and make it.

Arsenal tonight is a massive game. A win and we look good for CL, a loss and we're in the Europa League battle but if Vardy is back we're Champion's League all the way.

I'm not willing to accept a Kevin Keegan Newcastle style surrender of our top 3 position no way no how. We've come too far and given all that has happened at the club we owe it to ourselves to fight for this champions league spot. The cups have all gone and this is all we have left. To really feel like have progressed as a club is to clinch that spot. No excuses for having a young squad etc etc they've done just fine up until the new year. We want Top and his family to continue investing in the club but we have to earn it and deserve it. The players have to give it all they got now tiredness or not. Rogers has to motivate like never before this isn't celtic and he felt the pain of disappointment at Liverpool so I'm sure deep inside he really wants to finish this season strong. Plaster 'DO IT FOR VICHAI!' posters all around the training ground and stadium - whatever it takes. We clinch 3rd spot than we keep our best players, we attract new good players and we keep building. Lets not turn into bottlers now we're in the home stretch. COYF!  :scarf:

On 07/07/2020 at 07:09, st albans fox said:

Context has changed though .....from where we have been for nine months, to finish outside the CL places will be a crushing disappointment for this young squad and potentially affect them badly going forwards ....

You could argue it was the first half of the season that crushed them.

They simply struggled to maintain their lofty position so missing out on the champions league would be a valuable lesson learned.

Its not like its been taken away from us overnight. Its been a steady decline but it is STILL in our hands.

• Like 1

Apparently we have only spent one week outside of a Champions League position all season.  One week!

To lose it now would be a crushing blow, but entirely self-inflicted.  Our failure to see out the last 90 seconds of that Watford game still hurts.  That could have given us the momentum we needed after the break plus another two precious points of course.

In some ways, I find it difficult to believe that a top 5 place is still on given our form in 2020.  The one silver lining that I cling to is that it could have been worse.  We could have blown the 2016 season and been reeled in but we didn't.  That would have been something I would have probably never have got over.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1