Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Anyone happy for 5th place/Europa League???

To be honest i will be pissed if we fail to secure champions league footy but given how our seasons have gone since we won the league  Europa at a minimum would be welcome. Sure, it's not as prestigious but it might help attract footballers who want to play in the competition. I would take that cup over the FA Cup anyday as it qualifies us for champions league.

I also would welcome any cup title that allows us to say championayyyyys lol

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Positive thought process, I like it.

Could inspire us in the longer run, who knows.

That certainly puts this season into some context if we don't make the CL.

There's one extra round compared to the CL. Not exactly horribly long winded!

What's playing on a Thursday got to do with anything?

Do you think home games will be half empty? And if away games are half empty isn't that better for us ie less home support?

It's not as jazzy or lucrative as the CL but let's try and keep a modicum of perspective.

Imagine if we won the UEL - it would be bloody sensational, although some of our less than joyful fans would no doubt say: "Yeah but it's not the Champions League."

It's like us winning the League Cup and saying: "Yeah but it's not as good as winning the FA Cup."

Can't please some folk I suspect.

If we won the EL it would be far far far better than winning the FA Cup and even more so over the league cup.

In fact if next season you offered me 10th place and EL win, I’d take that over 10th and an FA cup and League cup double!

EL win would also get us in the CL.

I honestly think that is where we as a club can aim for in future. League wins and CL wins are probably on the whole too much for a club our size but regular europa league entry and winning it hopefully would be amazing!

We could be as big as Everton, Spurs, Newcastle, Sevilla, Valencia, Napoli etc that group of club is not beyond us long term!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

If we won the EL it would be far far far better than winning the FA Cup and even more so over the league cup.

In fact if next season you offered me 10th place and EL win, I’d take that over 10th and an FA cup and League cup double!

EL win would also get us in the CL.

I honestly think that is where we as a club can aim for in future. League wins and CL wins are probably on the whole too much for a club our size but regular europa league entry and winning it hopefully would be amazing!

We could be as big as Everton, Spurs, Newcastle, Sevilla, Valencia, Napoli etc that group of club is not beyond us long term!

Can't agree with that.

Europa League winners are champions of the also rans.

The FA Cup is the one glaring hole in our honours list and something I would sell my granny for.

• Like 2

I'd be gutted if we miss out on Champions League. I know we would have taken Europa League before the season, just as we would have taken 2nd place before our title win. But when we're so close and worked so hard over the season, it would be a hammer blow to let it go now.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Can't agree with that.

Europa League winners are champions of the also rans.

The FA Cup is the one glaring hole in our honours list and something I would sell my granny for.

F A Cup such a devalued competition now compared to year's ago..

I'm not really arsed about it anymore!

By the way...

How much you asking for your Granny... might be interested 😁!

Absolutely would not be happy with Europa League. We were 14 points ahead of United at one point, now we are just 1 points ahead. We should have been home and dry. 

If we were 6th or 7th all along and chasing CL spots but just missed out by few points I would be happy but I'm not gonna be happy with bottling top 4.

First half of the season gets 9/10, we played some truly scintillating football (Southampton, Arsenal, Newcastle, Villa etc) but second half of the season gets a 4/10, dire performances and shocking defeats to teams we should put away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the Europa League, but given where we were it would be a massive disappointment. We're on the brink of another massive choke following on from the League Cup and to a lesser extent the FA Cup. 

Annoyingly as well we'll get some cracking away ties and not be able to go to the ground. Could still travel though I guess.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, weller54 said:

F A Cup such a devalued competition now compared to year's ago..

I'm not really arsed about it anymore!

43 clubs have won the FA Cup, including the likes of Bradford, Cardiff, Wigan and even Cov.  It is an embarrassment that we've never won it.  It' still means something to me!

By the way...

How much you asking for your Granny... might be interested 😁!

Free to good home.

You might have to bring a shovel    :ph34r:

Edited by murphy
  • Haha 1

To be at this stage of the season challenging Manchester United and Chelsea to decide the final positions of 3rd, 4th, and 5th, yes, I'll be happy whichever position we end up in from those 3 options. 

We've dropped points this year, but that's the realistic level we are at right now.

If the Clubs plan and philosophy continues to grow we'll score more points next year. 

The Europa League would be an amazing experience for the players, the club and the fans.

I feel it matches our expectations better at present. 

From this post, I still can't quite guage if the opinion of disappointment through playing in the Europe League is representative of the wider spectrum of LCFC fans or just a minority of Foxes Talk fans. 

And in positive news, nobody at all knows if 5th place will be a CL position or not until Monday. 

That should be an interesting piece of news to factually discuss once it's announced. 

• Like 2

Anyone would think that its all over, we still have a chance to finish 3rd or 4th.

I'm not have the media train of thought that Chelsea are nailed on to finish 3rd with Liverpool, Sheff U and Wolves to play.

Still have a feeling us and Man U will be playing out a draw in the last game to clinch 3rd and 4th 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Anyone would think that its all over, we still have a chance to finish 3rd or 4th.

I'm not have the media train of thought that Chelsea are nailed on to finish 3rd with Liverpool, Sheff U and Wolves to play.

Still have a feeling us and Man U will be playing out a draw in the last game to clinch 3rd and 4th 

Over the last six games, Manchester United are top of the form table.  Guess who's second - Chelsea.  We are 10th and our form since New Year is worse than that.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leicester-city/form-guide

That's the reason I think it is v.unlikely that we get top four unfortunately.

Harry's gonna be full on smug mode.

download.jpeg.e649855ac8c139f79e824cde335f0f2c.jpeg

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Man Utd will be nervous as well, they need to gain 5pts on us in the next three games otherwise they come to Leicester knowing a defeat sends them below us. They could win their next three and still finish 5th outside the CL spot.

Chelsea, Man Utd and ourselves will all be hoping the last day matches are a dead rubber as Man City's ban gets upheld on Monday.

• Like 2

Man Utd were nowhere near as impressive as the score line suggests last night. Two mins before the farcical penalty Villa hit the post. That two mins of football was a huge game changer. The recent run of fixtures they’ve had has also exaggerated the form they are in. We will be a massive test for them.  Chelsea also have had things going there way.  Palace hitting the post with seconds remaining and now they face a couple of really tough fixtures.  Neither side are playing to a standard where they are guaranteed to get results. This 3rd to 5th stakes is still far from being easy to predict. 

• Like 1

Also, don't forget about Wolves just yet.

Like them or not (and I don't) they're the sort of team that really could pick up four 1-0s in a row and go above us. We still have to win at least 2 to finish above them and given our recent form its far from guaranteed.

44 minutes ago, murphy said:

Over the last six games, Manchester United are top of the form table.  Guess who's second - Chelsea.  We are 10th and our form since New Year is worse than that.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leicester-city/form-guide

That's the reason I think it is v.unlikely that we get top four unfortunately.

Harry's gonna be full on smug mode.

download.jpeg.e649855ac8c139f79e824cde335f0f2c.jpeg

We had 8 wins, we where top of the form table, that the thing about form it changes! 

United have won 4 in a row, I'd be surprised if they make it 8 in a row by the end of the season, especially when they are playing a game every 3-4 days. 

I'm not convinced by Chelsea, rode there luck against Man City and Palace, and have a tough run in.

My feeling is Man U get 3rd and its going to be a close run thing between us and Chelsea.

Maybe irrelevant after Monday if City ban is up held, that happens and we win a Bournemouth the atmosphere in here will change dramatically.

26 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Also, don't forget about Wolves just yet.

Like them or not (and I don't) they're the sort of team that really could pick up four 1-0s in a row and go above us. We still have to win at least 2 to finish above them and given our recent form its far from guaranteed.

Possible but unlikely I think we will pick up at least 5-6 points to make this mathematical impossible! 

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We had 8 wins, we where top of the form table, that the thing about form it changes! 

United have won 4 in a row, I'd be surprised if they make it 8 in a row by the end of the season, especially when they are playing a game every 3-4 days. 

I'm not convinced by Chelsea, rode there luck against Man City and Palace, and have a tough run in.

My feeling is Man U get 3rd and its going to be a close run thing between us and Chelsea.

Maybe irrelevant after Monday if City ban is up held, that happens and we win a Bournemouth the atmosphere in here will change dramatically.

So you're basing your optimism on the chance that we suddenly rediscover our 2019 form and Man Utd slump to theirs?  That's an overnight swing of 180 degrees there and a pretty remote possibility given how we've struggled through the whole of 2020.

..On the other hand, I hope you're right...

...but I don't think you are.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

So you're basing your optimism on the chance that we suddenly rediscover our 2019 form and Man Utd slump to theirs?  That's an overnight swing of 180 degrees there and a pretty remote possibility given how we've struggled through the whole of 2020.

..On the other hand, I hope you're right...

...but I don't think you are.

No I was merely highlight the fact form can change, later in the paragraph I said Man U would finish 3rd, I'm basing my optimism on the possibility of Chelsea dropping points against Liverpool, Sheff U or Wolves!

I think this weekend is massive 3 point against Bournemouth and Chelsea dropping any points at Sheff U would put us back in the driving seat. 

With Vardy finding his shooting boots there is always a chance!

• Like 1