Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UHDrive

Anyone happy for 5th place/Europa League???

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

We had 8 wins, we where top of the form table, that the thing about form it changes! 

United have won 4 in a row, I'd be surprised if they make it 8 in a row by the end of the season, especially when they are playing a game every 3-4 days. 

I'm not convinced by Chelsea, rode there luck against Man City and Palace, and have a tough run in.

My feeling is Man U get 3rd and its going to be a close run thing between us and Chelsea.

Maybe irrelevant after Monday if City ban is up held, that happens and we win a Bournemouth the atmosphere in here will change dramatically.

Agree. I think Chelsea are playing every trump card atm. I fancy them to stumble horribly. 

Wouldn't it be lovely if us and Man Utd needed a point each last day to exclude the rent boys?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Koke said:

Absolutely would not be happy with Europa League. We were 14 points ahead of United at one point, now we are just 1 points ahead. We should have been home and dry. 

If we were 6th or 7th all along and chasing CL spots but just missed out by few points I would be happy but I'm not gonna be happy with bottling top 4.

First half of the season gets 9/10, we played some truly scintillating football (Southampton, Arsenal, Newcastle, Villa etc) but second half of the season gets a 4/10, dire performances and shocking defeats to teams we should put away.

I wouldn't necessarily say we should be home and dry, although our form in 2020 has been way below what is expected of a top 4 team, Man Utd's by contrast has been every bit as good as our 1st half of the season. Most years our 2nd half performance of the season would see us already out of it but thankfully we are still in the mix, even though we aren't a pound for pound top 4 side yet IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Agree. I think Chelsea are playing every trump card atm. I fancy them to stumble horribly. 

Wouldn't it be lovely if us and Man Utd needed a point each last day to exclude the rent boys?

I just think they are playing as well as everyone is making out, the rode their luck against a average Palace side.

Whilst no one can argue the Man U are playing well, you can't say the same about Chelsea in my view!

5 hours ago, Koke said:

First half of the season gets 9/10, we played some truly scintillating football (Southampton, Arsenal, Newcastle, Villa etc) but second half of the season gets a 4/10, dire performances and shocking defeats to teams we should put away.

Yes we did play well in the first half of the season, but we had a little more rub of the green and took are chances more, second half of the season are lucky changed a little and we haven't been as clinical. 

In the first half of the season we won games like Spurs (H), Everton (H), Burnley (H) by the odd goal and a tiny bit of luck, second half of the season we lost close games to Norwich (A), Man City (H), Burnley (A). 

Injuries to key players like Vardy, Ndidi whilst not missing many games affect there from and ours badly. 

I always believe we weren't as good as we thought in the first 17 games and not as bad as we think in the last 17. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

On 10/07/2020 at 08:08, TK95 said:

I'd be gutted if we miss out on Champions League. I know we would have taken Europa League before the season, just as we would have taken 2nd place before our title win. But when we're so close and worked so hard over the season, it would be a hammer blow to let it go now.

If we make the champions league and come third I thought we went into the Euros whichwould in my opinion not be great

On 10/07/2020 at 14:41, coolhandfox said:

People also forget how hard it is to break into the top 4, in the last 14 seasons the following teams have finished in the top 4;

Arsenal 11  

Chelsea 11

Man Utd 10

Man City 9

Liverpool 8

Tottenham 6

Leicester 1

No one else has managed it............

That's a reason why we should be disappointed, it's so bloody hard for a non top 6 team to break into champions league places and we were 14 points clear halfway through the season. Might never get the opportunity again.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

That's a reason why we should be disappointed, it's so bloody hard for a non top 6 team to break into champions league places and we were 14 points clear halfway through the season. Might never get the opportunity again.

We probably thought we wouldn't have another chance of finishing in the top 4 after 2015/16 but here we are. 

• Like 2

Not at all.

As I said yesterday in the Man City CAS thread, 5th in my view is a failure.

We went into this season with top 4 - 6 the aim, if we get 5th we've got to our aim, however personally my view pre season looking at our team and squad compared to other teams in this league were capable of top 4.

Chelsea have done better than I expected and fair play to them and Lampard - it'll be interesting how it goes at Chelsea now they're splashing the cash again and I always said that, I'd hoped for future youths sake it'd open Chelsea eyes to use and develop their young players as they have this season, I have questions over that now their chequebook is open again.

Man Utd were poor for alot of the season, I expected that, I didn't expect their turn around.

Anyway, i'm going off track, I felt pre season out team/squad was capable of doing better than those two.

Given where we were and the gap we had to finish 5th would be failure - even if 5th turns out to be a CL place it'll be tainted with abit of disappointment and feeling of failure.

Our form and performances since Christmas has been nothing short of disgusting and mid table fodder.

The fact we've been 3rd for so long, even now 4th, just shows how poor the league is, but don't let Liverpool fans hear you say that.

It's still in our hands though so let's have no more excuses, finish the job.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3

If Man U finish in the top 4 it’ll be mostly down to a massive helping hand from incompetent referees and some kind of voodoo curse they’ve put on the rest of us, not that I’m a conspiracy nut!

But seriously if there’s any justice and general luck balancing out then we should beat them on the last day with a dodgy penalty after Vardy trips over his own boot laces 6 yards outside of the penalty area and VAR spends 7 hours checking before deciding that all is good, pen Leicester. 

9 hours ago, Matt said:

We went into this season with top 4 - 6 the aim

The aim was to win the league obviously.

Not a realistic aim, admittedly.

I would've said 6th-8th would've been a more reasonable target at the start of the season.

I think we sometimes forget that other teams are pretty good too.

4 hours ago, Blueman1967 said:

Length of time we have been in the top four, finishing outside would be a disaster its still in our hands

A helicopter crash is a disaster.

If we finish fifth it would very disappointing in the context of the season but not a disaster.

• Like 3

Now that its guaranteed and with our injury crisis I wouldn't be that unhappy with Europa league. It will entice players either way and give the club some time to have a squad clear out and some activity in the transfer window. 

We have had a great season .  As so eone who has followed Leicester since the early 70s , this is good.  We want more of course.  Breaking sixty points is an achievement.   Getting to 65 would be better particularly if it involves beating Man U.

• Like 1