Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Why do we always struggle in the big games?

Mentality. From the coaching staff to the players. They gave up today. Gave up. They’ve struggled mentally for months. The fear overtook them. That’s a number of things. The group of players, the captain, the manager the back room staff etc. We don’t have the mental strength nor the voices to coach and guide us through difficult times.

Just need to look at history for this one.

Liverpool under Rodgers - flat track bullies, very weak in the big games, not capable of 'getting the job done' when it really counts. 

Leicester under everyone bar Rodgers - excellent in the big games, can sometimes struggle to break down solid - yet weaker - teams (e.g. Pulis's West Brom in the title winning season). 

Leicester under Rodgers - same as his Liverpool side, but with less quality. 

To conclude I'd like to say that Rodgers is probably among the best we can get, but his arrogance is going to frustrate us all. He has not been good against the top teams (Liverpool, Man City) because he expects us to play them at their own game (and inevitably lose due to the gulf in quality and arrogance - see Arsene Wenger) and bemoans the team when we can't do it. 

I will also add _when any team is defeated 4-0, as we were in the second half - it's often a tactical defeat. It's a team sport - with the right tactics, even an inferior team can hold their own. But it's rare for every single individual to underperform on an individual level to that extent if the tactics are absolutely spot on and the intentions are right. 

In the second half of the season we've pretty much struggled to win any game, let alone big games. If, as is certainly possible, we lose the last 3 games we'll have amassed only 14 points from the last 17 games. That's the same points per game as Bournemouth have managed this season up to today. Just let that sink in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

We never seem to turn up in the big games. Liverpool (h), Man Utd, Chelsea (cup), Villa (cup, both legs), and now today, just to name a few. I know there's some quality sides in there but we always never seem to perform as we can in these games.  

..I have said this time and time again!!!

Absolutely no idea what he says to the players before going out on the pitch but whatever it is, I wish he would keep his thoughts to himself.

2 hours ago, shailen said:

I don't think we have an issue as such. In our recent history, we've won a Premier league and got to the champions league QF. We've had a rough time this season, as I think we aren't tactically as well drilled as other big teams and we rely on morale and momentum. I wouldn't put BR in those managers you would call a tactical genius, but a manager who keeps morale high and looks to unite the squad to try and get results through the "there is no I in team" manner. 

..I am really not sure what you have been watching!!!

I must admit sometimes I think your post are just to wind people up, the problem is I always get suckered in.

2 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Wouldn’t say we are bottlers we have achieved a lot, and have a piece of silverware too, the PL title. Over the last few years we can be proud even with today’s massive set back 

..not too sure you have understood the gist of the topic!!!

Our performance since December is equal to the run in of Spurs in our Premiership winning season. The fact that we refer to them as "bottlers" is a fair assessment.

Our achievements prior have nothing to do with what we are talking about.

I do want to make a point

the team beat spurs and arsenal at home earlier in the season and showed great spirit, at liverpool away only lost in injury time.

I am convinced something has happened mid season in the dressing room, you don't go from the sort of football the team were showing pre christmas to post christmas without something going on. 

Maybe when Kasper writes a book one day it will be revealed, we shall see.

39 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

youth

..I think that is a cop out!!!

Rodgers has gone through his whole career with this lack of tactical flexibility.

Just listening to him being interviewed and you feel he is not trustworthy.

He is inherently flawed, if you are unable to see your shortcomings then you don't know you have a problem.

44 minutes ago, Gevans_97 said:

I think it is a Rodgers problem. I remember at the start of the season, we were flying, United were nowhere, we go to Old Trafford and play completely into their hands. Maddison on the wing, we didn’t press with the intensity we usually did, we let them play and they beat us. 

At that point we were 2nd in the league, playing a certain way because we were scared of a team in mid table. Same with tonight with his half time change. Completely played into Bournemouth’s hands, let them play, they gained confidence, and we lose the game. 

Liverpool and Man City don’t try and shut up shop after 45 mins when they’re 1 up. They go in for the kill. We should have too.

i hate to mention Puel, and I’m not trying to suggest he’s better than Brendan or anything like that, but his record in games against the “big 6” was fantastic. With mainly the same squad. We used to be giant killers, like Wolves were last year. So the players are there. Brendan just gives our opposition too much respect. 

I've just been thinking back to Maddison on the wing I've spoke about it a bit tonight but I've just looked at the early season games.

We started Maddison on the wing against Wolves, first game of the season, 0-0, probably lucky not to lose it due to the new handball rule. Next up Chelsea, Maddison on the wing again, 1-0 down, playing poor, he puts him into the centre in the middle of the 2nd half and we get an equaliser. Next up Sheff Utd away, again Maddison on the wing, it's 1-1, he puts Maddison back into the centre, brings barnes on for Praet, puts Barnes on the wing and we score 5 minutes later and win 2-1.

Next game Bournemouth at home, he starts Maddison in the centre 4141, we win 3-1, easy. Next we go to United away, 4141 again, he's put Maddison on the left wing, we play poor for the whole 90 minutes and get nothing out of it. Spurs at home next, I can't remember where Maddison played for this one, I thought it was on the wing and then he was swapped into the centre before scoring the winner, but I'm not 100% sure.

Newcastle at home next, Maddison injured, we win 5-0. Next up Liverpool away, he starts Maddison on the wing once again in a 4141, we pretty much get bossed the whole game, which was expected it's Liverpool. After this he starts Maddison in the centre at home to Burnley, and we go on our winning run.

To me and many others on here, we kept saying why isn't he persisting with Maddison in the centre? It seemed like such an obvious thing to do, but everytime he reverted back. Even against Liverpool at home he reverted back to it, it's like he's trying to be tactically smart, but it's just ruining us. For me the substitution of Iheanacho today was exactly the same, it was obvious to us all that we should have kept the same team and formation for the start of the second half, but he changed it and it absolutely ruined any chance we had of winning.

I remember someone saying dropping the point or three points in the early games of the season will be worth it if Rodgers learns from his mistakes, but he just doesn't seem to be doing that. Every two or three games he seems to make a questionable substitution, formation change , general instruction, something needs to change or we're on a very slippery slope and might well be fighting a relegation battle next season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I've just been thinking back to Maddison on the wing I've spoke about it a bit tonight but I've just looked at the early season games.

We started Maddison on the wing against Wolves, first game of the season, 0-0, probably lucky not to lose it due to the new handball rule. Next up Chelsea, Maddison on the wing again, 1-0 down, playing poor, he puts him into the centre in the middle of the 2nd half and we get an equaliser. Next up Sheff Utd away, again Maddison on the wing, it's 1-1, he puts Maddison back into the centre, brings barnes on for Praet, puts Barnes on the wing and we score 5 minutes later and win 2-1.

Next game Bournemouth at home, he starts Maddison in the centre 4141, we win 3-1, easy. Next we go to United away, 4141 again, he's put Maddison on the left wing, we play poor for the whole 90 minutes and get nothing out of it. Spurs at home next, I can't remember where Maddison played for this one, I thought it was on the wing and then he was swapped into the centre before scoring the winner, but I'm not 100% sure.

Newcastle at home next, Maddison injured, we win 5-0. Next up Liverpool away, he starts Maddison on the wing once again in a 4141, we pretty much get bossed the whole game, which was expected it's Liverpool. After this he starts Maddison in the centre at home to Burnley, and we go on our winning run.

To me and many others on here, we kept saying why isn't he persisting with Maddison in the centre? It seemed like such an obvious thing to do, but everytime he reverted back. Even against Liverpool at home he reverted back to it, it's like he's trying to be tactically smart, but it's just ruining us. For me the substitution of Iheanacho today was exactly the same, it was obvious to us all that we should have kept the same team and formation for the start of the second half, but he changed it and it absolutely ruined any chance we had of winning.

I remember someone saying dropping the point or three points in the early games of the season will be worth it if Rodgers learns from his mistakes, but he just doesn't seem to be doing that. Every two or three games he seems to make a questionable substitution, formation change , general instruction, something needs to change or we're on a very slippery slope and might well be fighting a relegation battle next season.

Great post. Spot on. Mendy and Ndidi against low block Brighton and having a fully fit Tielemens on the bench is up there with mental illlness too.

I wonder what you do vs a team you need to open up? play a creative midfielder or play 2 DMs and protect?

If your playing well and in control of a game vs a team  low on confidence and can’t defend, what should you do? Stick attacking and pressuring or go all defensive and invite them on?

Obvious answers right Brendan? Oh right maybe not.

Edited by deanolegend1989

Weak mentality - strongest voice is in goal. 

At 1-1, we should have just regrouped. Instead the most intense players lost their heads but we were playing within ourselves from half time. 

We have a complacency streak combined with little belief we can challenge the top teams 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Every team has an off day so you can forgive one off poor performances or defeats against lower league opposition.

What is unforgivable is only getting a total of four points from the aways at Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth and Norwich. 6pts returned would have been a poor return from them and even that would have had us ahead of  Chelsea with a better goal difference.

Fear that not making the champions league will spark an exodus.

Edited by Nalis

9 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Lack of leaders, lack of direction, poor substitutions, poor tactics, acceptance of being little old Leicester 

I have not got any rep left but this is much of it.

It's been clear we've lacked a real outfield leader since before Christmas. When the heat is on, we needed someone to step up and get stuck in.

Having a little book and pencil on the sidelines doesn't make you a tactical genius. Quite the opposite as we've seen. So many poor changes in formation - the Maddison post above is a perfect example as is the treatment of Iheanacho after he's had good games - and personnel between and in games. Last night summed it up. 

That mentality of 5th or 6th will be good enough for the likes of Leicester that even some on here share. We were 2nd and playing brilliantly in November. That is what is so soul destroying. We blew this and saying 5th or 6th is great doesn't wash. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Every team has an off day so you can forgive one off poor performances or defeats against lower league opposition.

What is unforgivable is only getting a total of two points from the aways at Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth and Norwich. 6pts returned would have been a poor return from them and even that would have had us 3pts ahead of  Chelsea with a better goal difference.

Fear that not making the champions league will spark an exodus.

We got four ?

It’s always going to be difficult to get into the Champions League when you don’t beat the teams in and around you. I know we collapsed against someone lower down the table yesterday, but the team highest in the table we’ve beat is Sheff Utd in 7th. That has to be of concern. 4 points out of 9 games against teams in the top 6 currently isn’t good enough if we want to be pushing for those Champions League places. 

There are far too many players in the team that you want to grab by the shoulders and shake and remind them in no uncertain terms how much they and the team mean to so many people.

This sadly is a team full of cowards, buck-passers and bottlers. They lack the stomach for the fight. That’s why they keep letting us down in the most important matches.