Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Was that Jamie Vardy’s greatest Leicester performance ever?

Guest ttfn

Top 5 Vardy performances (for me):

1) Man United 5-3 - a goal and 4 assists

2) West Brom 3-2 (title winning season) - in the midst of his 11 game scoring run, gave West Brom an absolute chasing and scored a vintage breakaway goal.

3) Newcastle 3-0 (great escape season) - probably the first time I knew he was going to make it as a PL striker

4) Man City 4-2 (hat trick)

5) Derby 4-1 - absolutely humiliated the Derby defence.

I wasn’t at that game at Barnsley where the highlights made it look like he was playing on fast forward - maybe that would be up there too?

He was excellent yesterday and demonstrated yet again that there is more to his game than scoring goals.

Guest ttfn

Also I would add that yesterday’s game is further proof that the problem for him from January to recently was not just a lack of supply. He looked sluggish, his touch was poor, the chances he was getting he wasn’t taking. 

None of that makes him a poor player, he was just in poor form. It happens. Vardy’s been through at least 4 prior prolonged spells of poor form since he’s been here and each time he’s bounced back.

He was excellent…. I like the sentiment of the article and yes as we all know there is far more to his game than rush and shoot and yesterday was a very fine example of that…

I think the title is to encourage you to read it…. Which it did…. If it said ‘Vardy - really quite good at other parts of the game’ it may not have caught our attention as well!

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Not a CAM, but think Aguero at Man City. He's not just a target man, he makes tons of goals for the likes of Sterling, Mahrez and Sane before he left. Vardy is often underrated in the Premier League and considered as nothing more than a pacy striker. In truth he has so many dimensions and facets to his game, and there's a reason why he is clearly our best ever player. Even comparing him to Lineker say, I would have Vardy in my team over Lineker every day of the weak. Lineker was a poacher and a bit of a goal hanger, Vardy does everything, stretches the play, defends from the front, links up play, plays in others and can finish. 

couldn't agree more with this! Spot on defoe for me too so glad he stayed with us and plays for us. Gonna be hard for us when he hangs his boots in 10 years time ( want him for ever to be honest) and hopefully we have in the back room staff teaching the kids.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Not a CAM, but think Aguero at Man City. He's not just a target man, he makes tons of goals for the likes of Sterling, Mahrez and Sane before he left. Vardy is often underrated in the Premier League and considered as nothing more than a pacy striker. In truth he has so many dimensions and facets to his game, and there's a reason why he is clearly our best ever player. Even comparing him to Lineker say, I would have Vardy in my team over Lineker every day of the weak. Lineker was a poacher and a bit of a goal hanger, Vardy does everything, stretches the play, defends from the front, links up play, plays in others and can finish. 

Heads the ball and scores with it.  :P

• Haha 1

Yesterday there was a touch of the old Vardy there too. He worked the channels really hard when our defence had to lump it. Put their back three on their toes. Win throw-ins, getting us up the pitch. None of this instruction not to move from the centre. The reverse ball for Tielemans was superb technique. 

His link up was great yesterday, and had others been able to finish he might have had at least 3 assists.

He's lost quite a bit of pace though. He's still got a sharp mind, which allows him to steal a few yards on the defenders, but he certainly can't burst past people at pace anymore, and I think he realises this; there were a lot of opportunities where Vardy of old could/would have just blazed past the opposition, but instead he held the ball up and waited for back up. He's still not slow, but not lightning quick like he used to be.

He is 33 and a half though, so it's not a great surprise, but we can't rely on Vardy forever. No idea how we're going to replace him for less than 100m though. He's going to finish the season as top scorer after all - how much does buying a potential Golden Boot winner cost?

Edited by Charl91

One of the big differences last night was the number of direct passes he received direct from the middle of the park instead of the wings from the midfield and backline, Bennett fed a number of really good balls through to him.

• Like 2

I mean it wasn’t his best performance by a long way but he had an amazing game. That ball to Tielemans was incredible. As the article notes, he’s a much better footballer than other fans give him credit for and he has a great footballing brain. I know it’s been said many times but he’s our greatest ever striker and it’s a pleasure to see him every week. I hope he retires here and then becomes the new Birch. GOAT. X 

• Like 1