Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Was that Jamie Vardy’s greatest Leicester performance ever?

Nowhere near his best performance when you consider some of the games he’s won for us. However what I was talking to my friends about last night was that it’ll probably go down as one of the best examples of how complete a forward he is.

It’s still seemingly an ongoing myth outside City fans that he’s a pace merchant, and whilst it’s certainly one of his key assets last night proved that he doesn’t need to be running in behind and scoring to dominate up front. Had the Sheffield United absolutely ragged a couple of times purely through creating space, excellent passes and link up play. And this is a Sheffield United team known for being organised and an excellent unit still chasing European football. 

Vardy’s play was integral in winning the league, Vardy’s goals this season have been integral in getting European football, hopefully with a couple more Vardy specials Champions League. And as we’ve seen over the course of this season it’s still a very raw and young team that’s probably managed above it’s station (for now!). That’s without proving himself capable in European football and at an international level. 

The guy is genuinely one of the best in the world. Any other country he’d have been a massive part of the international setup as well (even if that was alongside/interchanging with Kane rather than replacing). What he’s achieved is legendary, the 100 club this year cements that as well as hopefully a Golden Boot as he deserves. We’ll never that better up front. 

• Like 4

This is such a pointless thread. How can you say it's Vardys best match ever for us? A striker who didn't score? Granted he played well. But there are so many more matches I would say that the guy was simply unplayable. 

Just now, hejammy said:

This is such a pointless thread. How can you say it's Vardys best match ever for us? A striker who didn't score? Granted he played well. But there are so many more matches I would say that the guy was simply unplayable. 

Thank goodness you took something positive out of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hejammy said:

One could argue it's not as pointless as your post though.

It gives people a chance to discuss what his best game was using it as a yard stick.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ttfn said:

Top 5 Vardy performances (for me):

1) Man United 5-3 - a goal and 4 assists

2) West Brom 3-2 (title winning season) - in the midst of his 11 game scoring run, gave West Brom an absolute chasing and scored a vintage breakaway goal.

3) Newcastle 3-0 (great escape season) - probably the first time I knew he was going to make it as a PL striker

4) Man City 4-2 (hat trick)

5) Derby 4-1 - absolutely humiliated the Derby defence.

I wasn’t at that game at Barnsley where the highlights made it look like he was playing on fast forward - maybe that would be up there too?

He was excellent yesterday and demonstrated yet again that there is more to his game than scoring goals.

That Newcastle game was a sensational performance. All of their back four could've been sent off for being unable to cope with him.

That and yesterday were his best performances without scoring. Man United in 2014 is his best overall, as you say.

The volley against West Brom was 'Bergkamp-esque'. Sublime. A superb natural finisher. I enjoy Jamie Redknapp's punditry but completely disagreed recently when he suggest that whilst not the most technically gifted footballers, JV makes up for it with his tenacity and work rate and knowing how to find the back of the net (which is a tad contradictory). As this article suggests, Vardy is the a superbly gifted and natural talent - everything that you look for in a forward. Not only is he a great finisher, his off the ball movement, as it says, "stretching a defence", and game intelligence, speed, guile and workrate/commitment cannot be faulted. I recall Maradona in the 1994 World Cup instructing where to place a camera (at the corner flag) for when he scored in the game against Greece. That goal in was beautifully taken, resulting from a wonderful phase from mf - he briefly glanced up on the edge of the box, then stuck it in the top corner. That goal in 2018 that this article recalls, Vardy didn't even take a glance, he instinctively knew were to put it. During the incredible scoring streak in 2015 he had so much confidence in his game that he could have similarly advised Sky where to deploy a camera for the inevitable moment that he scored - moreover, he probably could have told them precisely when he was going to do it. 

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

Man City at home for me when we beat them 4-2 was his best. Scored a hat-trick and had their defence all over the place for 90 minutes. 

I remember sitting in the car before that match with the rain hammering down, splashing on the bonnet, wondering whether I should just stay in the car and listen to Stringer. Got to my seat about a minute before kick-off and we were 3 nil up in 20 mins (2 in first 5 mins) with Vardy getting the first two of his hat trick. 

Don't think that Pep had ever seen Vardy play before. Or that's how it seemed. 

8 hours ago, ttfn said:

2) West Brom 3-2 (title winning season) - in the midst of his 11 game scoring run, gave West Brom an absolute chasing and scored a vintage breakaway goal.

3) Newcastle 3-0 (great escape season) - probably the first time I knew he was going to make it as a PL striker

I wasn’t at that game at Barnsley where the highlights made it look like he was playing on fast forward - maybe that would be up there too?

He was excellent yesterday and demonstrated yet again that there is more to his game than scoring goals.

Barnsley away was the first time I thought he could be international class - he absolutely took the Michael that night. Although I seem to remember was it Stephen Dawson who got MOM

Edited by Crazy Kop Corner

It’s nowhere near his best but he was fantastic as usual. He’s been back to his best since Palace.

People have mentioned his great games but 1 that also stuck in my mind is 17/18 opening game away at Arsenal.

He was fantastic that night. Another game we threw away despite Vardy giving us a brace at a tough away ground.

Hes just a legend. I can’t praise him highly enough. The best player we’ve ever had at our club, bar none.

Not a chance.

Most people only remember his amazing long range strike v Liverpool in the 2-0 home win in 2015/16, but he was on fire for the whole game that night, terrorising the Liverpool defence throughout and also scoring a great second goal.

For me his best Leicester performance.

14 hours ago, ttfn said:

That breakaway goal at West Brom in 15/16 was my favourite goal of that season, simply breathtaking in its simplicity and pace.

13 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I really hope he does get our player of the year this season. Madness that he's never won it despite being our best ever player imo

All things considered he's the best player ever to wear a Leicester shirt there are multiple reasons why. No one can take that from him, in an era where the term legend is tossed around for doing nothing much he is one. He is a total professional in his application, attitude, commitment 

In future years people will ask who was the best player you've ever seen and when you take everything into account there is only one answer. Sir Jamie Vardy

He needs a statue, the freedom of the city, the right to herd llamas down High St to the Clock Tower and where's his film!!

• Like 1

Bottom line. Vardy = forever legend. Worldclass. Should be first choice England striker. Underrated (including by some of our own fans half way through every season including this one when he gets no service and when he has never been bad). Without him, we are a lower table team - he is what makes us different. Please NO one should ever question him while he is playing at Leicester. Even if he is slower, his football brain is incredible and will always be there. Be grateful he is not earning double at other top teams. Must be rewarded post retirement by Top.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Charl91 said:

His link up was great yesterday, and had others been able to finish he might have had at least 3 assists.

He's lost quite a bit of pace though. He's still got a sharp mind, which allows him to steal a few yards on the defenders, but he certainly can't burst past people at pace anymore, and I think he realises this; there were a lot of opportunities where Vardy of old could/would have just blazed past the opposition, but instead he held the ball up and waited for back up. He's still not slow, but not lightning quick like he used to be.

He is 33 and a half though, so it's not a great surprise, but we can't rely on Vardy forever. No idea how we're going to replace him for less than 100m though. He's going to finish the season as top scorer after all - how much does buying a potential Golden Boot winner cost?

I mean, if this game was a taster of how Vardy will play when he's fully lost his pace, he will absolutely be able to continue at this level for a while.