Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

It would be interesting to see how things would have panned out if we had beat Southampton and Newcastle, I think Ole goes strong against us and rests players in the Villa and Liverpool games in an attempt to beat us to 2nd.

If we beat Southampton and Newcastle he'd have had no choice but to go strong against us, a win last night would have had us in 2nd.

To be fair, if we had have won those 2 games, roles would more than likely have been reversed and we would have rested players with the cup final in mind

5 hours ago, nwl fox said:

You're putting yourself under added pressure by getting your maths wrong!! A draw and 3 wins sees them end up on 67 points, so we now just need 2 points to guarantee it, regardless of other teams results. 

We are capable of bottling it. We lost to Newcastle and people were confident about Southampton. You never know. I think we should be nervous until we get there.

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

If we beat Southampton and Newcastle he'd have had no choice but to go strong against us, a win last night would have had us in 2nd.

To be fair, if we had have won those 2 games, roles would more than likely have been reversed and we would have rested players with the cup final in mind

We gave ourselves a mountain to climb. It would be enormously better that we had won those games.

Just now, Tom12345 said:

We are capable of bottling it. We lost to Newcastle and people were confident about Southampton. You never know. I think we should be nervous until we get there.

You're right, but this is 2016 all over again. 

But this time we have what happened last season hanging over our heads.

Still plenty of twists and turns to come up in the next 10 days. But it would be good for Liverpool to lose, get a dodgy draw against Burnley and West ham to slip up in one of their games

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KingsX said:

While we and the media obsess over CL qualifying odds, the battle for seventh place is hot as blazes.  Yep, the honor of being the first English side in the Europa Conference League will go down to the wire.

So here are the current chances of each contender for the honor of playing in Lower Slobbovia on Thursday nights:

Liverpool 6%

West Ham 25%

Spurs 35%

Everton 28%

Arsenal 4%

Thank you fivethirtyeight.

Anyone playing in that should be banned, fined and deducted points, turncoats just in it for the money!

I'm surprised it's not called the Europa Conference Super League.

On a serious note this will help to achieve one of the ESL aims - Reduced PL, No FL Cup, No FA Cup games on Saturdays and entries staggered depending on which Europa Comp you're in.

16 minutes ago, davieG said:

Anyone playing in that should be banned, fined and deducted points, turncoats just in it for the money!

I'm surprised it's not called the Europa Conference Super League.

On a serious note this will help to achieve one of the ESL aims - Reduced PL, No FL Cup, No FA Cup games on Saturdays and entries staggered depending on which Europa Comp you're in.

Seriously, who would we like to finish seventh and get the booby prize?

It would be perfect to put the ultimate banter club in the ultimate banter competition.  But it might almost benefit Spurs, if it forced them to play the likes of Dele Alli back into form.  We can’t have him gaining confidence with hat tricks against Krakov and Hatayspor.

That competition would just ruin WHU or Everton.  The Hammers don’t need much help in ruining themselves.  But with Moshiri spending like Abramovich’s mini-me, Everton are dangerous.  ****ing up their squad and season with weekly commutes to the not-quite-third-world gets my vote.

• Like 1

Liverpool's spell as champions:

- Lost their first game after being crowned champions 4-0 - the biggest in decades for new champions

- furloughed 55 of their staff until there was a backlash

- attempted a hostile money and power grab with 'Project Big Picture'

- voted to charge their own fans £14.99 per match to watch them play.

- one of these matches was a 7-2 defeat to Aston Villa, the first time a reigning champion had conceded 7 for almost SEVENTY YEARS.

- became the first reigning champions EVER to lose 6 home games consecutively (previous record was 4).

- conspired with 5 other English clubs behind the backs of everyone else to set up a rival European league that would have bankrupted the last two competitions they'd won AND the hundreds of other clubs that participate in it.

- they couldn't have a trophy lift in front of their fans.

- they couldn't have an open top bus parade.

- they couldn't even go to Old Trafford as Champions.

I think the last 3 are my favourites.

Worst champions ever.

15 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Liverpool's spell as champions:

- Lost their first game after being crowned champions 4-0 - the biggest in decades for new champions

- furloughed 55 of their staff until there was a backlash

- attempted a hostile money and power grab with 'Project Big Picture'

- voted to charge their own fans £14.99 per match to watch them play.

- one of these matches was a 7-2 defeat to Aston Villa, the first time a reigning champion had conceded 7 for almost SEVENTY YEARS.

- became the first reigning champions EVER to lose 6 home games consecutively (previous record was 4).

- conspired with 5 other English clubs behind the backs of everyone else to set up a rival European league that would have bankrupted the last two competitions they'd won AND the hundreds of other clubs that participate in it.

- they couldn't have a trophy lift in front of their fans.

- they couldn't have an open top bus parade.

- they couldn't even go to Old Trafford as Champions.

I think the last 3 are my favourites.

Worst champions ever.

dd0.png

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

@The Bear Rafa Mir has scored some absolute belters this year, notched up 13 league goals for a promoted side at the wrong end of the table. Were you not able to recall him in January or was it just a conscious decision not to? 

It was a season long loan and we didn't have a recall option. 

Can't see him wanting to come back to England after his success in Spain. We'll probably use that to get a good price for him or exchange him for someone we're after. 

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

It was a season long loan and we didn't have a recall option. 

Can't see him wanting to come back to England after his success in Spain. We'll probably use that to get a good price for him or exchange him for someone we're after. 

Had to look it up but apparently Willian Jose has only scored more than 13 (15) once in La Liga at numerous attempts, for a stronger side. 

Could do worse than loaning the Portuguese kid out somewhere and having Mir as  #2 for a year surely? 

Depends who is interested in Spain I suppose. 

55 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Please tell me that's a spoof.

I've seen a few videos of his shared. He's basically just say any shit to get reaction. Sometimes its believable that he actually thinks what's he saying, but other times he's say stuff so ridiculous it's obvious he's trolling.

Erm you boys know there is another game today right? Arses have been blowing hot and cold all season I reckon they will be right up for it today. If they win that will be damaging for Chelski in points and confidence. Cmon you Arses get a result! Foxes need this

Guest Bert Fill
3 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

I agree with all this.

I do think, though, that the result last night could be a shot in the arm for the team. We haven't played well overall lately, but I think a lot of it could be down to nerves. I think a win at Old Trafford, even against a weakened side, should give the players a lift. Evans returning should be another.

I'm not really expecting anything from either game against Chelsea, but I think we should be looking to beat Spurs, and it's possible we've already got enough points for top 4.

I'm certainly feeling a lot better now than during the Newcastle match, anyway.

Well if the team’s shot in the arm is anything like my covid shot in the arm the other week they won’t be able to lift the arm as high as the shoulder by Saturday. Throw ins will be interesting...

Just now, trabuch said:

I think I want Chelsea to win tonight. I don't want them to have anything to play for when we next play them in the league.

Really tough call. It could also demotivate the chasing pack. But seems crazy to want them winning and knocking us down a place!

1 minute ago, sdb said:

Really tough call. It could also demotivate the chasing pack. But seems crazy to want them winning and knocking us down a place!

I know. Maybe a massive fight? (my default setting for these situations)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trevor Sinclair among many talking absolute shite about integrity of the league and associated crap.

The fact is that somebody in the top four race was going to be helped this week by the team selection due to those teams playing Man United consecutively. Had we played them on Sunday, Aston Villa was the midweek game then they played Liverpool there was a real possibility that Solskjaer would've gone strong in the matches involving us and Liverpool. However, he was never going to play his strongest team twice in 3 days- it isn't recommended by any medical team. He could've played a weaker side in the first game, stronger against us then weaker again but chose the other option.

I think they should've moved the West Brom v Liverpool match to midweek, kept our match as tonight then put Man United v Liverpool on Sunday. By moving the penultimate matches to midweek, any space was denied for unforeseen circumstances meaning matches couldn't be played.

Just get on with it like we had to when Man City made 9 changes on Saturday. If you are heavily relying on other teams it is your problem.

• Like 1