Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

3 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I think the issue with Spurs is that they built the stadium on projections of income pre covid. Now they will be earning significantly less money they could easily see the debt spiralling out of control. Also I'm sure I read that they initially only budgeted 400 million for the stadium when it actually ended up costing 1bn+ that's a huge difference. Also taking out a govt loan of 170 million shows they are struggling. This could possible be the end of spurs and no matter what we think of them it would be sad to see any football club disappear as they mean so much to their local communities. 

You could also argue that the Government money would have benefitted more fans if it had been made available to all those sides further down the pyramid that are faced with extinction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Potter would be an eminently sensible choice for Spurs, although I am not sure Spurs is a sensible choice for Potter!

Out of the British managers Potter would be my choice. I doubt the owners will go British though. 

They'll want links with Mendes so they can continue helping him to move players around. 

Edited by The Bear

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Potter would be an eminently sensible choice for Spurs, although I am not sure Spurs is a sensible choice for Potter!

I'd be astounded if Spurs and Levy didn't see themselves as being 'above' Potter. I totally agree that he'd be a sensible option, I just don't see Levy or the fans agreeing, meaning he'd be doomed either way.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

You could also argue that the Government money would have benefitted more fans if it had been made available to all those sides further down the pyramid that are faced with extinction.

True but you have to remember it was a loan. The govt must have been pretty confident that Spurs would be able to pay it back at some stage where perhaps that wouldn’t be the case for the lower leagues. That’s not me saying more shouldn’t be done for the lower league though to be clear.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

I'd be astounded if Spurs and Levy didn't see themselves as being 'above' Potter. I totally agree that he'd be a sensible option, I just don't see Levy or the fans agreeing, meaning he'd be doomed either way.

He would be one we should get in if/when Rodgers does decide to leave... I hope for more years with Rodgers though don’t want to disrupt this progress 

Spurs are really hanging on for BR aren’t they?  Seems ridiculous that they haven’t lined someone up yet, despite the knock backs. I wonder what they are waiting for......

........ someone to say yes Is imagine. 

26 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I think the issue with Spurs is that they built the stadium on projections of income pre covid. Now they will be earning significantly less money they could easily see the debt spiralling out of control. Also I'm sure I read that they initially only budgeted 400 million for the stadium when it actually ended up costing 1bn+ that's a huge difference. Also taking out a govt loan of 170 million shows they are struggling. This could possible be the end of spurs and no matter what we think of them it would be sad to see any football club disappear as they mean so much to their local communities. 

There's not a chance on earth spurs would go bust. The banks wouldn't allow it. At the very very worst, the creditors would repossess the club or, more likely, restructure the debt

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

True but you have to remember it was a loan. The govt must have been pretty confident that Spurs would be able to pay it back at some stage where perhaps that wouldn’t be the case for the lower leagues. That’s not me saying more shouldn’t be done for the lower league though to be clear.

Yes, understand, and Spurs do seem to be at a concerning crossroads for their (foul mouthed) fans. Get the next appointment wrong and repayments may be merely to keep the wolf from the door for quite some time. 

9 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Spurs are really hanging on for BR aren’t they?  Seems ridiculous that they haven’t lined someone up yet, despite the knock backs. I wonder what they are waiting for......

........ someone to say yes Is imagine. 

I’m sure Rodgers has blocked the number already... fed up with all the voice messages 

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

If the economy picks up post-covid as some financial experts reckon then interest rates will have to go up. Then we'll be hearing a few squeeky bums. 

Probably a fixed rate loan. 

It's what Arsenal did, they fixed at 5.5% (?) and then the reates dropped.

17 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

He would be one we should get in if/when Rodgers does decide to leave... I hope for more years with Rodgers though don’t want to disrupt this progress 

He's done well and done so in a very understated way. A week in football is a long time though and a lot would depend on his continued/sustained progression until the top position was available with us. I do like what I see though.

As for our manager, I imagine finishing 5th twice in a row (should we do so), will impress many club owners. The problem for Rodgers is that there will remain questions when it comes to the very biggest clubs. Whilst his Celtic teams romped home with very little/no opposition, his last 3 seasons in England have resulted in substantial leads being overturned by clubs finishing above his. I think those doubts will put off the proper big boys, Spurs aren't in that bracket. 

That's not an opinion I share by the way, I think he's done brilliantly for us (and I really wasn't in favour of us appointing him at the time, I was wrong though).

The league is a serious slog and he's fought against clubs with bigger everything really, squads, spending, trophy history, everything and he's just fallen short once, possibly twice.

However, should results go against us on Sunday, I think those doubts will still put off the really big clubs.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Probably a fixed rate loan. 

It's what Arsenal did, they fixed at 5.5% (?) and then the reates dropped.

Levy normally seems like a pretty shrewd operator. I suspect he’d have locked in a pretty good rate, perhaps as low as 2% in the current environment. Having said that, interest rates have dropped more recently, so he could have locked in before at a somewhat higher rate.

Be interested in the perspective of some of the accountants on here. Even 2% would cost him ~£20m per year, pretty much our entire average net transfer budget.

• Like 1

Just now, lnkstern said:

Regarding Spurs, their debt, and their new stadium.

Tottenham really got hit with the perfect (bad) storm of Covid-induced lack of income at just the wrong time.  They of course lost all Premier League gate revenue, but also lost income from a (IIRC) guaranteed series of American NFL games, as well as any concerts that would have been booked.

They would still have been in debt even had all the above revenue streams occurred, but I doubt it would be over 1.1 billion.

I still believe there are a multitude of reasons to make fun of Spurs, but I am inclined to give them a pass on the debt issue.

They’ve taken a large govt loan to cover the shortfall - that can be spread over twelve years .....