Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Leagues One & Two - 2020/2021

On 10/10/2020 at 22:03, spacemunky said:

I think League One will have a great battle this season for the title/promotions.

Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Oxford, Hull, Peterborough - it's far from a walk in the park to go up in that league.

Would love to see Ipswich back up but thinking Portsmouth and Hull will go up this year.

3 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Oxford, Hull, Peterborough - it's far from a walk in the park to go up in that league.

Would love to see Ipswich back up but thinking Portsmouth and Hull will go up this year.

We’ll struggle to go up automatically. Solid at the back and won’t concede many but we’re toothless up top. 

3 hours ago, SAFC1 said:

We’ll struggle to go up automatically. Solid at the back and won’t concede many but we’re toothless up top. 

You really should have gone up the year you came down first. Will get harder with each extra year you spend at that level. Playoffs must be the minimum target surely

19 hours ago, Manini said:

Bradford Harrogate. This would have been a belter to go to. 

Harrogate have really surprised me so far this season. They look tidy and deserved the points last night. I’d have likely gone to a few of their games if the gates were open. 

53 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Harrogate have really surprised me so far this season. They look tidy and deserved the points last night. I’d have likely gone to a few of their games if the gates were open. 

They’ve been playing at Doncaster haven’t they but I think there pitch has been laid now so they can play back at home. Yeah they’ve been decent haven’t they? As you say I’d have probably nipped up too it’s a good day out round Harrogate. 

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

I caught them on TV a few times last season and they seemed relentless attacking teams. They weren't scraping by in games I saw but all over the other team. I was expecting to see them pushing for the play offs based on that haha.

I guess if you just looked at the name and reputation then it'd come as a bit of a shock. Just wondering if you saw a fair bit of them and I happened to catch them when they were on fire haha.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

You really should have gone up the year you came down first. Will get harder with each extra year you spend at that level. Playoffs must be the minimum target surely

The first year down in L1 our squad was the best in a league by a mile - it’s ridiculous that Jack Ross couldn’t get us promoted. We’ll be up there again this season but I don’t feel Parkinson is good enough to get us over the line.  We’ll see.. 

22 hours ago, Manini said:

Bradford Harrogate. This would have been a belter to go to. 

I watched this match on ESPN+.  It left me with a couple of questions (which no doubt seem ignorant -- but I almost never see League Two football.)

1. If not in an empty stadium -- would there any “derby” flavor between neighboring clubs, one of which has never competed at the same level as the other?

2. Is this typical of the standard in L2, or is it better toward the top of the table?  I enjoyed Harrogate’s approach, but they didn’t look terribly proficient (Jon Stead, my god) … and Bradford played some of the most oafish, technically poor football I’ve seen from professionals.

Just now, KingsX said:

I watched this match on ESPN+.  It left me with a couple of questions (which no doubt seem ignorant -- but I almost never see League Two football.)

1. If not in an empty stadium -- would there any “derby” flavor between neighboring clubs, one of which has never competed at the same level as the other?

2. Is this typical of the standard in L2, or is it better toward the top of the table?  I enjoyed Harrogate’s approach, but they didn’t look terribly proficient (Jon Stead, my god) … and Bradford played some of the most oafish, technically poor football I’ve seen from professionals.

1. Don’t know really. Harrogate and Bradford are very close places geographically, but as you say aside from a few pre-season friendlies they don’t have much history of playing each other I don’t think. I don’t know many fans of either club so have no idea whether they’d class it as a derby. It was probably a fixture that both sets of fans looked for when they knew they’d be in the same division. 

2. Yes. The gap between league 2 and the conference, in my view, really is quite small standard wise. There’s a bit of a step up to league 1 and the championship may as well be on another planet in comparison...and then go another 12 planets along and you have the prem. 

• Thanks 1

The exact same thing nearly happened with Chelsea's goalkeeper yesterday too lol

But at least for McKeown he's been at Grimsby for about 300 games I bet and he's not just a new keeper..

Bolton manager Ian Evatt has apologised after telling Billy Crellin to "man up" following the goalkeeper's error in Saturday's 1-1 draw against Cambridge.

Crellin, 20, parried a cross into his own net for Cambridge's opener but Antoni Sarcevic earned Bolton a point.

Evatt said the "terminology used was incorrect" and he should have "chosen a better phrase like 'step up'."

Ex-England defender Micah Richards said he would "not have respect" if a manager had done that to him.

Bolton's draw left them with just one victory from eight League Two games this season but were not helped by on-loan Fleetwood goalkeeper Crellin's mistake against Cambridge.

Evatt said after the game: "I've just spoken to Billy in there. He's a fantastic young goalie with lots of attributes and assets but we cannot afford him to keep making mistakes, it's that simple.

"He cost us the first goal in my opinion at Barrow on Tuesday and maybe the second one as well, and then today. This is me saying to him publicly 'man up'.

"I've had that conversation privately. This is a man's game, three points are at stake and my team deserved to win."

Evatt received criticism on social media for his comments and apologised on Monday saying: "Firstly the terminology was incorrect so I apologise for that.

"What I actually meant was when you're progressing and developing from a young player to a senior player it takes a certain level to step up to and this isn't kids' football anymore, it's adults' football, so the terminology was incorrect and like I said, I apologise for that and I should have chosen my words better.

"When emotions are high after games sometimes you can say things that you don't really mean and I should have chosen a better phrase, a step up phrase or something like that, there's no doubt and I really apologise for that.

"Anybody that knows me knows that I would never mean to offend anyone. That just isn't me, I'm an honest guy, I work very hard and I should have chosen my words better and that's my error."

It'd be interesting to see what other people think on this one. 

PC gone mad, or right to change with the times?