Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Leagues One & Two - 2020/2021

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Ipswich lost at home to Swindon. They really are in the shit. Can't see them ever getting back into the top flight. Remind me of an even worse versio  of us from the mid 00s, although there is no Pearson or Thai owners to come to the rescue. Sad to see!

That decision to give Lambert a long contract last year is looking more baffling as time goes on.

1 hour ago, Corky said:

That decision to give Lambert a long contract last year is looking more baffling as time goes on.

Mental isn't it. Such a shit manager and all he has done is get them relegated and finish mid table in the 3rd tier. Their owner is a waste of space by all accounts.

2 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Mental isn't it. Such a shit manager and all he has done is get them relegated and finish mid table in the 3rd tier. Their owner is a waste of space by all accounts.

The only reason for putting a manager on a long contract is to protect you if they do well and you gain more compensation. I know we did it with Rodgers and so far it looks a decent decision.

I don't see why a Football League club, in an environment that is very volatile, would in effect make it impossible to change manager when results aren't good.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Portsmouth battered 5-1 at Posh so exit the football league trophy yet I believe are still in last seasons competition because it never got finished? lol

Correct.

They still haven't played last year's final, against Salford.

I was there working tonight - Posh put out virtually a full strength side, Pompey made 10 changes from Sunday so not an unexpected result.

8 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Ritchie Wellens is doing quite well at Salford City.

Never in doubt. His interviews as a player and pundit were always good. He always sounded like he knew about the game and he was great for us. Did a great job at Swindon. Shame he's at Salford because I don't like them but I do like Wellens.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Correct.

I was there working tonight - Posh put out virtually a full strength side, Pompey made 10 changes from Sunday so not an unexpected result.

I'm guessing they're just concentrating totally on the league this year? About time they got up. I thought Jackett would get them up, always been impressed with him as a manager.

19 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Portsmouth battered 5-1 at Posh so exit the football league trophy yet I believe are still in last seasons competition because it never got finished? lol

Why are they playing it?

No wonder the league season is stretched if they play the full version of this.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Would quite an astonishing achievement if Accrington Stanley got to the Championship 

Such a well run club too. Would be lovely to see them in the Championship.

34 minutes ago, Corky said:

Why are they playing it?

No wonder the league season is stretched if they play the full version of this.

Yeah. So that's 3 games extra for every football league side just in the group stages. Now at the knockout stages there's more games for those that are through.

I imagine the final will be moved back to allow fans in which I imagine they're waiting for to complete last season's final.

On 12/01/2021 at 23:31, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Correct.

That final is now off! They’ve given up playing with fans to it 

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

That final is now off! They’ve given up playing with fans to it 

It's still "suspended" rather than "off" - but you're right about the fans.

What they could do is play the 19/20 and 20/21 finals on the same day seeing as it'll be BCD.

Not ideal but it's the world we live in.

I'm not aware of this so I'm genuinely curious but do lower league fans actually value the JPT? I mean for clubs like Swindon, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers, Doncaster etc it doesn'tappear that they care that much. Maybe the tiny clubs do, like Forest Green, Accrington Stanley, Harrogate Town, Barrow etc. 

18 hours ago, Koke said:

I'm not aware of this so I'm genuinely curious but do lower league fans actually value the JPT? I mean for clubs like Swindon, Plymouth, Bristol Rovers, Doncaster etc it doesn'tappear that they care that much. Maybe the tiny clubs do, like Forest Green, Accrington Stanley, Harrogate Town, Barrow etc. 

It's a chance to see your team play at Wembley which I think is a good day out for the clubs that traditionally knock around League one and League Two. It's a shame winning it isn't rewarded with a by to the 3rd round of the league cup or something

The day out itself though would be special for thr majority of the fans and clubs.

On 14/01/2021 at 20:04, Koke said:

Lincoln took it really serious the year they won it. Played the first team every  round . The following season when they were top of league 2 , they put their reserves out, to the point where they had 2 coaches playing in a match for them. 

With Portsmouth and Salford out now, could you do a double header final day.

With Salford v Portsmouth t say a 2 pm kick off followed by a 5pm kick off for this years final.

Could be a cracking day out... if fans are allowed back in by the time the final is scheduled.

In a bit of a freak occurance Sunderland played Portsmouth in the final a couple of years ago, I was in central London on the Saturday before and it felt like an FA Cup final weekend with the amount on fans around. Great to see and no doubt the EFL couldn't believe their money spinning luck.

Its was strange (but good) to see especially as both teams have been to a few cup finals in the past 10 years.

I spoke to my mate yesterday, who supports Hull, and he was pleased they're in the quarters. Chance of Wembley more than anything but it's also a competition.

But now, due to the changed format, clubs have to balance it and going for promotion. Portsmouth lost 5-1 other day but Jackett made loads of changes and said they were concentrating on promotion this season. They've added PL U23 sides and made it grouped, it's just more games for clubs who have small resources/squads as it is.

The competition was ruined when PL U23 sides were added, that's why I'm always pleased when they go out (including us). It should be football league clubs only and that's why the attendance (when fans are in) is real low when U23 sides are involved. It's a mockery when the competition was designed for football league clubs.

Edited by Fox92