Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leycestrian

Transfer funds and KP

I think we're just being shrewd. Club will lose a lot in matchday revenue with reduced capacity and merch sales. No-one really knows when it'll be back to 'normal'. 

Yes we've just had some player sales but, like we know, the club won't go out spending hundreds of millions in one go because that money probably isn't there. 

I also wouldn't believe everything you read in the media. To give the club credit, there's sure to be some safeguarding of funds in crisis situations so that we're not gonna find ourselves immediately in the shit. There's probably funds there for a couple of players (or maybe more) but we're not gonna be forced in to paying over the odds. In the same vein that we won't be forced in to selling players at a cut-price fee any more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Money is no object, apparently. Haven't you heard? We're about to sign Luis Suarez on £300k+ p/w. 

More seriously, the Club just took out another loan from Australian "Vampire Bank" Macquarie. Assume this is to make up the entire Chilwell transfer fee as it's likely going to be paid in installments which will then be paid back to Macquarie in the same installments (+6-odd % interest)

This seems to indicate the club is not exactly flush with cash and required the full amount from the Chilwell deal in order to fund transfers into the club this summer.

I read a an article not so long ago that stated pretty much every big club in Europe does this in terms of fees received via installments. I'd day this is more a strategic policy as opposed to any real cash flow issues.

• Like 2

Looking at things logically, filling up the Dead Wood stage and sending it ‘rollin on over the plains’ is critically vital for our recruitment. Shift the unwanted and trim the wage bill, then we can start to move on.

We just need to be patient........

we now have a policy of trying to buy competitively and sell high

the window goes on until oct 5th

perhaps we are keeping our funds intact and waiting for clubs to see larger holes in their budgets as the seasons begin and a lack of fans bites deeper into European club's cashflow

then we strike !!

• Like 1

Perhaps I am more easily pleased than some or perhaps just a bit older than most on here. Money has made it far more difficult to get success and join the big 6 than it used to be. We are enjoying the best spell in our history and with the best owners the club have ever had. Not sure how football coped with the last pandemic but these are crazy times. Nobody would have planned for this, we have a new training complex in par with any in the world. Only time will tell if it is a good investment  but personally think it will prove a masterstroke earning and saving a fortune. It is very easy for us to call for spending somebody else's money. Seems some would rather us spend now on anyone rather than spending on the right target. Surely looking to get the best deal for our club and a deal that suits us rather than the selling club has to be taken into account. Could be that our targets are from countries in quarantine so if we bought them today they could not integrate with this 1St team squad for 2 weeks so the club might be thinking why rush of they are going to be a bit behind others anyway. They might be our 1St choice but we might not be their s or the selling clubs. 

You cannot think everybody worldwide goes to bed every night dreaming of playing for Leicester City.  Suspect very few are that clued up to what we are about but am 100% certain that if targets do start looking into us and what we are about and what our owners plans our they will be impressed. Maybe we do go with Benkovich and Thomas first couple of games of the season they might step up. Wes Morgan might fill in for a bit. This will probably send some into meltdown on here. Sky and the London media are going big on Chelski so everything is alright there. They have sorted all their defensive worries by signing our 4th best defender from last year and a guy who has never played in The premiership hardly played a competitive league match in a decade and is 36 in a couple of weeks. No one seems that bothered about them though.Not why not wait till the window ends before we decide how good or bad it has been

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest bss9401

We could all (those who chose to) see in December that we were stalling and needed decent cover and signings to maintain our top four push. 

We didn't get anyone decent in by the end of the January and the result was pretty predictable and we missed out on the CL jackpot.

My point, along with many others is that we are again selling and appear to be looking for bargains and works in progress. This is reality, not panicking as some would say.

I believe that we have to invest if we are to push on. If the club are not willing to do that then so be it but I'd just like to see more people understanding that we will kiss goodbye to top 5 finishes unless we seriously challenge the established elite in the transfer market.

3 hours ago, Leycestrian said:

From the BBC: 'Gatwick airport says passenger numbers fell by 14.7 million, or two-thirds, in the first half of the year as air travel collapsed amid the pandemic'
Presumably a similar situation is happening at Thai airports and the reduction in the number of passengers must have serious implications for the King Power business.

Will this have an effect on our transfer budget ?

We may have money from the sale of Maguire and Chilwell but could some of that money go to shore up the KP business ?

Does LCFC owe money to KP, and if so could KP ask for repayment ?

Obviously. Hence the No Signings. 

Edited by Ely fox
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bss9401 said:

We could all (those who chose to) see in December that we were stalling and needed decent cover and signings to maintain our top four push. 

We didn't get anyone decent in by the end of the January and the result was pretty predictable and we missed out on the CL jackpot.

My point, along with many others is that we are again selling and appear to be looking for bargains and works in progress. This is reality, not panicking as some would say.

I believe that we have to invest if we are to push on. If the club are not willing to do that then so be it but I'd just like to see more people understanding that we will kiss goodbye to top 5 finishes unless we seriously challenge the established elite in the transfer market.

This is impossible in the short to mid term

Guest Markyblue
2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I read a an article not so long ago that stated pretty much every big club in Europe does this in terms of fees received via installments. I'd day this is more a strategic policy as opposed to any real cash flow issues.

Absolutely this mr Celtic,  but although mentioned on here a couple of times on other threads it wont deter the doom merchants. 

Guest bss9401
2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

This is impossible in the short to mid term

That's precisely my point. It takes a lot more than a brilliant first third of a season to lay permanent foundations. It takes investment and risk taking. We are currently a decent top half team in reality. A 5th place finish this season is just as much a dream as it was this time last year. Now the club have sold an established PL and current international left back and time will tell what their response will be. Whatever it is It will definitely contain a strong message of intent.

I wonder if the issue is really down to the pathetic end of season capitulation which saw us miss out on the Champions League. One minute it looked nailed on and then right at the end it didn't happen. That will not only have put off prospective players but also blown a great bit hole in next season's budget.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reynard said:

I wonder if the issue is really down to the pathetic end of season capitulation which saw us miss out on the Champions League. One minute it looked nailed on and then right at the end it didn't happen. That will not only have put off prospective players but also blown a great bit hole in next season's budget.

Not sure about blowing a hole in a budget we didn't have.

It might put off players but it's not put off all players.

The point remains that negotiations would have changed because of COVID and income for owners across all clubs. Apart from Chelsea (who are, quite frankly, taking the piss!), not many other clubs have done a lot of business. Granted this could be where we could take initiative and get ahead of the game so to speak, but it just goes to show transfers in this window, and probably in January's too, are going to be much more difficult to complete because of the difference in players/agents demands and what a club can now offer.

The end-of-season form can play a part, but it's not the main reason. 

1 minute ago, Paddy. said:

Thanks mate, this really made it a lot easier to comprehend.

lol, I'm sure this is sarcastic, which is understandable - but some people go on about a £30/40m transfer like it's this hugely significant sum in the grand scheme of KP's entire finances when really it's a dot on the ledger. 

• Like 1

The way we finished last season and the injuries/suspension at the start of the new season highlight the need to freshen things up with 3 or 4 signings. If the funding it not there I think we may well struggle at the start of the season and momentum seems so important at Leicester in recent campaigns. Realise things are not easy and losing Champions League may have spoilt a few plans but hope for something positive soon to give everyone a lift.

We’ve accumulated about £258m ish on top players sold. Where exactly has that gone? 

And I agree with @reynard we’re in this position thanks to our collapse. I’m no ITK but I don’t think all is well at the club, and I don’t think the owners are impressed with the complete **** up either, as I imagine in January the club probably decided to hold off signing anyone and wait until the summer to use the CL money, and pull to bring in new talent. So that would have blown a huge hole in that plan, and I would imagine the club probably don’t really know what they’re going to do this season. As I’ve said I’m no in the know, I just think that’s what’s happened. 

• Like 4

It’s not just about having the funds. The club achieved a top 6 finish and while some see that as a failure because of the way we finished, it means our transfer targets and competitors change significantly. Players have many options and we can’t just buy anyone who won’t come in a improve us. We are competing in a different play ground.

As you go up, it gets harder. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s criminal that the manager may have to line up for the first game without 4 of last seasons first teamers but our signings now need to really add quality to this side. It takes longer to convince that standard of player and the clubs they’re at, that we are offering the best deal.

People worrying about funds! Yet we were one of few clubs to pay everyone in full during the covid break. Also we’ve been handing out contracts like confetti. I think we’re taking long in the transfer window because we’re going for quality and quality players are harder to get! Simple as that for me 

Edited by Heymister2015
  • Like 3

I think for all of us this point you feel a level of anxiety about our club, but for me with everything that they have done as owners I think they have at the very least earned a little bit of patience from the fans. I think everyone would love to see us spend a £100m every summer but that's not what we do. It's going to take time the crack into that top six, if you will, so bare with him

• Like 1

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

we now have a policy of trying to buy competitively and sell high

the window goes on until oct 5th

perhaps we are keeping our funds intact and waiting for clubs to see larger holes in their budgets as the seasons begin and a lack of fans bites deeper into European club's cashflow

then we strike !!

I think this has been the plan for a while. The silva deal took it to the extreme though.

I do wonder if the players that were looking at, are weighing up other options. We’re potentially fishing in a different pond to previous seasons, as we’re more established. 

Having watched the Birmingham game mid week, I do wonder if they see an opportunity to potentially not replace at LB at all, then try Thomas / Leshabela. I suppose the concern is that they’re both raw. 

• Like 1

Why buy now, when the price is still inflated! Chelsea are spending because Abramovich sold one of his companies recently for around 1.5 billion, so he is cash rich and asset rich, Man City are cash rich because they are funded by a country.  These two clubs are distorting the market at the moment.  Kingpower maybe a wealthy company but that doesn't mean thay have it lying around under the bed, they maybe asset rich but not cash rich etc.   As for the players that we have sold, it has all been put back into the club, you can see the amount spent on players & wages, Maguire's transfer fee was spent on Tielemens, Perez, Praet & Justin last year, which adds up to 104.30 million euros, the Maguire sale was 88.50 million.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Le Renard said:

Why buy now, when the price is still inflated! Chelsea are spending because Abramovich sold one of his companies recently for around 1.5 billion, so he is cash rich and asset rich, Man City are cash rich because they are funded by a country.  These two clubs are distorting the market at the moment.  Kingpower maybe a wealthy company but that doesn't mean thay have it lying around under the bed, they maybe asset rich but not cash rich etc.   As for the players that we have sold, it has all been put back into the club, you can see the amount spent on players & wages, Maguire's transfer fee was spent on Tielemens, Perez, Praet & Justin last year, which adds up to 104.30 million euros, the Maguire sale was 88.50 million.  

Exactly this.