Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 2020/21

3 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Actually a huge 45 minutes for Southgate coming up.  Just feels like the media and wider country are beginning to grow tired of his timid football and baffling team selections.

Competitive wins against the likes of Spain and Belgium have been very welcome, however defeats against the likes of Czech Republic and possibly Denmark tonight are simply not remotely good enough, especially with the talent at his disposal.  

I would agree with this. If the euros happened this summer he'd have just about hold on to the positiveness from the last world cup. The extra years means it's fading and the pressure is rising, the media are slowly starting to criticise more and that never bodes well. If we can't score from set pieces we continue to look ordinary. 

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

I would agree with this. If the euros happened this summer he'd have just about hold on to the positiveness from the last world cup. The extra years means it's fading and the pressure is rising, the media are slowly starting to criticise more and that never bodes well. If we can't score from set pieces we continue to look ordinary. 

Agreed. But this is to be expected when he insists on playing 3 centre backs and 2 holding midfielders.  At home.  Vs Denmark.  :nigel:

3 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Three. At. The. Back. Doesn’t. Work.

It does if its used to utilise the creative players. Not if its just because your defence is too shite to play with 4.  Southgate clearly doesnt rate his defenders, thats why he add 2 more cm's to protect them further :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I think southgate knows he has the beating of these sides, he just needs something to contain the truly elite... hence the more rigid stuff we are seeing of late... bug I could be wrong and Southgate has decided despite all the goals we should go rigid and defensive 

I hope you are right.

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Southgate's line ups cant break teams down.  The best he can do is draw to the knock out and then fold when he comes up against a better team

2 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Agreed. But this is to be expected when he insists on playing 3 centre backs and 2 holding midfielders.  At home.  Vs Denmark.  :nigel:

Yep, I get that Southgate wants to stick to a formation and a back 3 defensive set up works better against the better sides but needs to be flexible. Maybe using wide players rather than full backs against weaker sides. Our best players are attacking players, Southgate clearly worried about his defence, understandably I guess but it's not exactly made us stronger in that department either in these last couple of games.

Kane

Sterling     Grealish       Sancho

Mads    Rice

Chillwell  Any cb's Trent

Pope/ Henderson

That side beats most. A deadly attack with goals from all over.  We'll conceed a few goals but surely you play to your strenghts not your weaknesses. 

You could argue youd need to swap mads for more balance but he's genuinely a good number 8. 

• Haha 1

Maguire:

No - he was not “excellent for Leicester”. He was back then not very good defensively; just hyped up because he dribbled a bit. We always looked like leaking goals when he played. He was our third or fourth best defender then behind Evans, Morgan and Soy (though he was sitting on bench).

• Like 2