Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KingsX

“All or Nothing”: Spurs Doco

It’s on Amazon Prime starting today.  This Variety review whetted my interest:

“Tottenham Hotspur: All or Nothing” tackles a chaotic season and turns it into revealing, dynamic television about a team reinventing itself amid more turmoil than it ever saw coming.  As it shows, the Spurs’ struggles to stay afloat isn’t what the players, the club’s owner Daniel Levy or the production team expected.

It spends just 20 minutes on Pochettino’s part in the season. Once Mourinho walks into the Spurs offices to the tune that might as well be the Imperial March, the series necessarily becomes all about the Premier League’s most notorious manager.

Levy candidly speaks about his grand plans for the club. As embodied in the Spurs’ enormous new stadium, which cost the franchise a cool £1 billion, Levy wants the Spurs to be on the athletic and cultural level of a club like Manchester United. The fact that it’s not, and never has been, isn’t just an irritant, but a genuine business failure for him.

Enter Mourinho. He’s startlingly dry and blunt, and doesn’t tamp it down even when he knows a camera is on him. It’s clear that the Spurs players, accustomed to having a buddy in Pochettino, are teetering on the edge between intrigued and terrified even before he tells them that they have to stop being such “nice guys” and start playing like “intelligent c—ts.”

Episodes lean on the offscreen stories of Mourinho getting to know the team, with the most interesting scenes unfolding in the coach’s office as he calls in the most pivotal players, one by one. Seeing him shift his approach depending on who’s sitting in front of him, and not apparently care that the cameras are on, is red meat for fans and doubters alike. When he calls in Harry Kane, he acknowledges that he can’t be his friend like Pochettino was, but that he can use his knowledge of worldwide branding to help him “explode” in status.

So yes, “Tottenham Hotspurs: All or Nothing” is technically about a team of players trying to win titles and get glory. But with the addition of Mourinho and the club’s visceral struggle to right itself, the series quickly becomes something much more interesting: a comeback story without a real comeback.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/reviews/tottenham-hotspurs-all-or-nothing-review-mourinho-amazon-1234752811

Edited by KingsX

If that Variety review was TL:DR, here’s my FoxesTalk In-Depth Analysis * :

FFS … who wants to watch something about Spurs.  Which makes even the title a fraud.  “All or Nothing” implies some chance of “All”, as in winning something.  Get rid.

* FoxesTalk In-Depth Analysis:  a definitive judgment made before having seen something or someone play.

Spurs border on the pitiable. 

It's clear how much they want success but their chances of it are long gone. They're back to the midtable part of their cycle. 

It's the culture of the club that is the real problem. It's got the whiff of the loser about it. 

39 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It's clear how much they want success but their chances of it are long gone. They're back to the midtable part of their cycle. 

It's the culture of the club that is the real problem. It's got the whiff of the loser about it. 

This will never not be relevant:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

They'll win something under Mourinho, I'm reasonably confident of that.

• Like 2

Can’t bring my self to watch anything like this. The Sunderland one was so cringe worthy it was unreal. Definitely won’t be watching this Mourinho show either. Although I do like the sound of spurs players throwing their toys out the pram on camera :ph34r:

16 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

Can’t bring my self to watch anything like this. The Sunderland one was so cringe worthy it was unreal. Definitely won’t be watching this Mourinho show either. Although I do like the sound of spurs players throwing their toys out the pram on camera :ph34r:

I couldn’t get into the Sunderland one. 

The Manchester City one was brilliant though. 

Just started this  .....

7 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Everton exactly the same.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DanNDH88 said:

When will there be more episodes?

It said new episodes weekly so I guess three more next Monday. 

In regards to the documentary I love these kind of things, it's so interesting seeing the inner workings of a club and being able to contrast, Man City and pep to Tottenham and Jose to Sunderland and Coleman to Juventus and Allegri. The only one I couldn't get into was the Leeds one. 

Edited by peach0000